U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:24 PM

825 posts, read 486,743 times

Advertisements

I am from Chicago and I like D.C. Note the vibes are very different. D.C. has no buildings over about 15 stories tall, since nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument (at least I think that's the reason). But due to that restriction, the urban feel is night and day. D.C. has many hip, cool spots and obviously is the center of our country's major functions. It is much smaller than Chicago and feels like it.

D.C. is very expensive, more so than Chicago. But it has a great train system, is very sophisticated, arguably better weather. When there, you feel like you are where things are happening in our country. Museums are pretty much unmatched in D.C. and most are free. I know several people who live in the area and really like it a lot. It kind of has a mix of east coast and the south, with big government backdrop.

The main deterrent for me is the price. Real estate is outrageous there, which acts as a barrier like it does in California. And it's not California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 PM

790 posts, read 730,014 times
How does the safety of the public transit – CTA and metro – compare between these two cities?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 PM

135 posts, read 84,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You're right in that Chicago offers a "grander" experience. You won't find the old architecture, Lake Michigan shoreline, or urban vibe of Chicago in Dallas. But all of the bolded are available in Dallas, but on a much smaller and not quite world class scale. You can live in Uptown and walk to restaurants, the Arts District, attend free concerts at the park, run on the trails etc. There are a lot of festivals/events, but not the size of Lolapalooza. Dallas offers the basics of an urban neighborhood / central city area, which is nothing special to a city like Chicago. However, it's a very unique experience for a newer sunbelt city.
Yep, that was I was trying to get at. Dallas and most major cities offer a full urban experience and range of amenities. But Chicago and many other larger cities sometimes offer greater breadth or excellence in certain areas. Not sure that makes much of a difference in your day to day life- but it is a clear difference in the cities themselves. And it really depends on what things you value. For most people having museums to visit or public free concerts is great, whether you are talking the Art Institute and Millennium Park or more typical city offerings. Same with whether there are 6 plays on offer or 60. But if a city is a standout in an area you really value- then it makes a huge difference. And the feel is different from city to city- and often that has to do with scale and density. NYC feels different than Chicago in some of the same ways Chicago feels different than Dallas.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:29 PM

212 posts, read 322,026 times
DC is a fine city, but it is much much smaller than Chicago. Urban myth about no skyscrapers because of monument, it was for capital, but amended back in the 1900s. That said, since it is small and no skyscrapers rents are extremely high.

Outside of the wonderful and free museums of DC, I find Chicago is much better in regards to most everything else(unless you have a job in politics).

Another note, DC metro while not as expansive as Chicago and obvioulsy New York, is the best in the country IMO and most modern. It is awsome!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM

825 posts, read 486,743 times
The DC metro has seen better days though. While still a good system, they haven't been good with the upkeep in the last 10 years. And it shows.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:42 PM

20,755 posts, read 22,307,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
How does the safety of the public transit – CTA and metro – compare between these two cities?
They're both fine given that you're unlikely to be living in the parts of either city where it's going to be sketchy. The lines and stations, like the neighborhoods themselves, are going to vary depending on the location and none of that is going to be a particular issue to you as it's unlikely, given what you've said, getting off at the stations in the more troubled neighborhoods. Overall, given where you've said you'd be working and likely living, the Chicago option will be the more enjoyable one to be in. For Chicago, it sounds like you might even be living in walking and easy biking (or bike-sharing) distance for where you work and where you live which is quite nice.

Chicago, especially if you're talking about the Loop and the Near North Side, is going to be a fairly professional and button down sort of area. It's also going to feel much more lively than Silver Spring or any part of Dallas.

Chicago's seemingly less explosive economy isn't so much the fact that it's professional white collar and creative work isn't doing so well so much as it is an artifact of averaging over the entire economy. Chicago has lost a lot of industrial, blue collar jobs which brings the overall growth outlook to look mediocre, but the white collar and creative economy is growing at a pretty steady clip. It doesn't seem like you're looking at a factory job (in which case, Chicago is not a great bet), so if that's true, Chicago is going to be a pretty good opportunity.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-27-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM

28,325 posts, read 25,510,227 times
Quote:
Does DC offer the same variety of cultural attractions and events like symphony and opera?
Of course it does; it's a major city.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 PM

3,292 posts, read 3,347,466 times
I personally would go with Chicago. Hands down a much better urban living experience than Dallas can ever be.

Dallas entertainment is centered around drinking, eating out and professional sports. There are a couple of areas that have decent nightlife (uptown, deep ellum), but even those places are shutting down by 10-11 most nights.

Moved to Dallas without ever visiting and knew within two weeks that I had made a major mistake. Lots of great jobs. Beautiful condos. But lacking in nightlife and other entertainment. The heat is pretty bad as well.

If you decide to look further into Texas, please make sure to schedule a visit before committing.

Chicago is about as close as you will get to a 24 hour city. Great downtown core, with some very cool neighborhoods (Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, etc). However, you will have to deal with the exact opposite of Dallas in regards to weather. Winters can be pretty rough. However, the summers make up for it. I think you would do very well in Chicago.

Feel free to message me if you want a bit more information. I have lived in both Dallas and Chicago.

Last edited by usamathman; 08-03-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 PM

790 posts, read 730,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I personally would go with Chicago. Hands down a much better urban living experience than Dallas can ever be.

Dallas entertainment is centered around drinking, eating out and professional sports. There are a couple of areas that have decent nightlife (uptown, deep ellum), but even those places are shutting down by 10-11 most nights.

Moved to Dallas without ever visiting and knew within two weeks that I had made a major mistake. Lots of great jobs. Beautiful condos. But lacking in nightlife and other entertainment. The heat is pretty bad as well.

If you decide to look further into Texas, please make sure to schedule a visit before committing.

Chicago is about as close as you will get to a 24 hour city. Great downtown core, with some very cool neighborhoods (Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, etc). However, you will have to deal with the exact opposite of Dallas in regards to weather. Winters can be pretty rough. However, the summers make up for it. I think you would do very well in Chicago.

Feel free to message me if you want a bit more information. I have lived in both Dallas and Chicago.
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. The thing is that, I'm not really looking for a place with a great nightlife scene I'm not into that, frankly. I like the fact that Dallas has good jobs as career is important to me. But I'm concerned about fitting in socially as I was born and raised in a global city, so Dallas might be a bit slow for me.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:24 AM

1,861 posts, read 755,079 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. The thing is that, I'm not really looking for a place with a great nightlife scene I'm not into that, frankly. I like the fact that Dallas has good jobs as career is important to me. But I'm concerned about fitting in socially as I was born and raised in a global city, so Dallas might be a bit slow for me.
Depends what do you mean by that. If you are talking about that certain energy or je ne sais quoi a big bustling city in the mold of NYC/London/Paris or Berlin bring with it. The prevalent foot traffic in many parts and almost all hours then yes Dallas would feel slow to you.
If it is more about being accepted socially I can't imagine why there would be an issue in Dallas. Dallas might not be as cosmopolitan as NYC and the like but it is far from some homer backwards city. There are people here from all over the world and plenty of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or