U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,535 posts, read 2,316,747 times
Reputation: 2802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Individuals Earning $100,000 Per Year or Greater

Manhattan - 365,133 (37.2%)
Los Angeles - 304,272 (14.3%)
Chicago - 220,540 (15.4%)
San Francisco - 196,643 (36.0%)
Houston - 168,583 (13.7%)
Seattle - 125,960 (27.7%)
Washington - 118,353 (29.0%)
Boston - 75,591 (18.3%)
Philadelphia - 66,104 (8.7%)
Denver - 62,684 (15.5%)
Atlanta - 498,827 (19.2%)
Baltimore - 31,778 (10.5%)
i'm not disputing (although atlantas population seems like a typo), but where do you get these numbers from (you used to be so good at citing sources; youre slipping b-y ). its just hits my eye wrong that all of them are defined municipalities except the top one is a district of a municipality. i'm interested in what the whole n.y.c. would be (if its not more than a half-a-milly then n.y.c. got some serious wealth distribution problems).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-31-2017 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 AM
 
7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8413
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'm not disputing, but where do you get these numbers from (you used to be so good at citing sources; youre slipping b-y ). its just hits my eye wrong that all of them are defined municipalities except the top one is a district of a municipality. i'm interested in what the whole n.y.c. would be (if its not more than a half-a-milly then n.y.c. got some serious wealth distribution problems).
It does. NYC's median household income is barely over 50k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 AM
 
3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You always like to play this game, but no. Just because you find something doesn't mean it's the norm. I'm talking normal prices, not garbage listings, foreclosures, weird properties and the like.

Not going through all these, but the first one is absurd. It's small, dumpy, only one bathroom, walkup, silly monthlies and not a great location.

Typical price for a 2 bed in Lincoln Park will be at least 400k, but probably closer to 500k.
Why when people prove you wrong by giving examples ..... through this thread and others? You can't admit never say never and you are not always right. If the examples were foreclosures? The sight would reveal it.

Words used like dumpy and only one bathroom , garbage listings and weird? Yet you live in NYC where residences can be tiny in some old tenement and you're knocking these Chicago listings because someone proved these cheaper varieties exist there in prime areas?

I remember your fighting over Chicago having Podium-style high-rises and skyscrapers you tried to demean and Manhattan has none you said..... Then someone post examples in Manhattan as a Podium-style. Why argue this attempt to lessen Chicago on these claims that prove you wrong?

This fight vs. everyone else should say something ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,535 posts, read 2,316,747 times
Reputation: 2802
i heard on the big city fm morning show that boston got problem streets (and problem squares) with crime; whereas, chicago has whole neighborhoods (south-side) that are considered problem areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
 
7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8413
FWIW: Redfin lists 76 Lincoln Park 2BR condos under 500k and 55 over 500k. Only five over $1mil.

Last edited by gladhands; 07-31-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 AM
 
7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why when people prove you wrong by giving examples ..... through this thread and others? You can't admit never say never and you are not always right. If the examples were foreclosures? The sight would reveal it.

Words used like dumpy and only one bathroom , garbage listings and weird? Yet you live in NYC where residences can be tiny in some old tenement and you're knocking these Chicago listings because someone proved these cheaper varieties exist there in prime areas?

I remember your fighting over Chicago having Podium-style high-rises and skyscrapers you tried to demean and Manhattan has none you said..... Then someone post examples in Manhattan as a Podium-style. Why argue this attempt to lessen Chicago on these claims that prove you wrong?

This fight vs. everyone else should say something ...
Exactly. None of the apartments I've linked are going to be featured in home and garden, but for anyone who's actually familiar with big city apartments to call them "dumpy" or "garbage" is ridiculous. You won't find anything close to that in a comparable neighborhood in NY, DC, SF, LA, Seattle or Austin. I'd be shocked if you could match that in Denver or Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,453 posts, read 7,518,998 times
Reputation: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Exactly. None of the apartments I've linked are going to be featured in home and garden, but for anyone who's actually familiar with big city apartments to call them "dumpy" or "garbage" is ridiculous. You won't find anything close to that in a comparable neighborhood in NY, DC, SF, LA, Seattle or Austin. I'd be shocked if you could match that in Denver or Houston.
Not accusing anyone in this thread, but it's very clear that many folks living in uber-expensive cities like New York or San Francisco feel the need to their justify exorbitant living costs by belittling and being extremely condescending towards less expensive cities, even when it's quite obvious that the vast majority of average, middle-class earners do have a much higher quality-of-life and can actually enjoy urban amenities in cities like Philadelphia and Chicago.

If you want to brag about paying upwards of $1 million dollars to live in a shoebox and becoming "house poor", or live in an extended reality show with 5 complete strangers cramming an apartment, just because said city is considered by some to have more "cachet," have at it. To most people with sound logic and financial savvy, that's considered ridiculous and impractical.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-31-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
FWIW: Redfin lists 76 Lincoln Park 2BR condos under 500k and 55 over 500k. Only five over $1mil.
In other words, typical 2 bed condo in Lincoln Park is probably around 500k, or slightly lower. Not that cheap, esp. since LP is mostly small buildings with limited services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why when people prove you wrong by giving examples ..... through this thread and others? You can't admit never say never and you are not always right. If the examples were foreclosures? The sight would reveal it.
I never said there isn't a single cheap apartment in LP. We're talking averages. There will always be a few garbage listings.

I can list random cheap apartments in Manhattan. Does that make Manhattan cheap? Of course not.

Here's a cheap Manhattan apartment. Just 287k for a 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...389_rect/9_zm/

Of course, there are income restrictions, no pictures shown, board approval needed. The unit is, almost certainly, a dump that is impossible to own at any price unless you meet a very specific income band and pass the board vetting. Income restricted apartments also have sales restrictions, so you'll never be able to profit off it. You'll sell it for about the same as you bought it, plus inflation.

Can I now claim that 2 bedrooms in Manhattan go for 287k? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 12:22 PM
 
61 posts, read 37,540 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't care if 1000 people disagree. 1+1 doesn't equal 3 just because more people say it does.

The fact is that NYC and SF are more expensive because they're more desirable, not because of a mountain or ocean. There are plenty of cheap cities on oceans or in mountains, and plenty of expensive cities on plains.

And almost every single person who has disagreed is from Chicago or Philly, and so is trying to justify the lower desirability by claiming that all the city needs is water or hills and desirability would skyrocket. It's basically C-D city boosterism 101.
Nobody here is saying 1+1=3. That would be a factual argument since everyone knows that's not true. 1+1=2.

Do you know the difference between opinions and facts?

You're not stating facts, you're stating opinions. You're just acting like your opinion is fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top