Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Then why is the NE corridor the busiest rail corridor in the country? Milwaukee, Detroit and Indy will never compare to Philadelphia, DC, and Boston in our life times, if Chicago had cities of those caliber all within 4 hours or less many Chicagoan other than yourself would travel to them regularly.
Well, except in the case of worst projections for sea level rise coming true and you not being close to death in your lifetime.

I do disagree with the other poster in that the nearby cities can be good selling points if transit connections were better and those cities started massively improving. A booming Milwaukee that has regular and frequent Metra commuter rail service would probably be great for both Chicago and Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, except in the case of worst projections for sea level rise coming true and you not being close to death in your lifetime.

I do disagree with the other poster in that the nearby cities can be good selling points if transit connections were better and those cities started massively improving. A booming Milwaukee that has regular and frequent Metra commuter rail service would probably be great for both Chicago and Milwaukee.
Mark my words N-E-V-E-R, with regards to the aforementioned cities.

Of course it would be great for both if Milwaukee boomed, although I know Chicago would not concede any dominance to it.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Of course it would be great for both if Milwaukee boomed, although I know Chicago would not concede any dominance to it.
We both understand how long never is, right?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Eh, it's like casting a vote for a young politician when you're 92 years old. The politician can say anything they want and they're not wrong if you won't live to see the outcome.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
With the way things have been going in our international relations recently, he might be right.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Lots of New Yorkers care about proximity to other cities. People will go down to Philly for Made In America or down to DC for the 4th. People will go up to Boston simply because it's a different city with its own unique architecture and history. You get tired of NYC just like you get tired of anywhere else and it's definitely a plus to have other interesting cities nearby.
This is true. I go to Philly for Made in America every year. And DC is a great city to visit too.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
The synergy in the Northeast Corridor, in terms of regular travel and commerce between 5 major metro areas (including Baltimore as separate entity), is extremely unique in the US. It's unlikely that will ever be replicated in any other region of the country.

It's very likely that Philly will remain on an upward cost trajectory for that very reason (particularly in comparison to Chicago, which while a massive and vibrant urban area in its own right, just doesn't have nearly the same "conurbation" dynamic working in its favor).

Last edited by Duderino; 09-21-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 12:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Chicago has a lower cost of living than NYC for one simple reason: there is plenty of available housing here.

Why isn't all of the housing full?

Chicago is far from most other big cities (NYC is relatively close to Philly, DC, Boston), it's really cold in the winter, the job market isn't as good here, it isn't as internationally connected as NYC, and there are large swaths of the city that are vacant/empty and have crime problems.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:

I've lived in both cities, so I kind of know a little about this. People commute to Chicago from Milwaukee, and vice versa. There is a train that runs between the two cities, numerous times every day....that's how people commute. There are people from Chicago, who week-end in Milwaukee, as they own condos in Milwaukee's very popular Third Ward. People from Milwaukee, obviously week-end in Chicago. The sweet thing is, though, that you can go to the other city for just an afternoon...it's that close. As time passes, there are more and more connections between the two cities, and there is also continuous development along Lake Michigan, between the two cities.

There are those that are trying to make Milwaukee seem like kind of a "nothing" city. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Everyone I knew, while living in Chicago, loved Milwaukee. The competition thing that some posters have posted, is silly. Milwaukee is Chicago's little sister to the north, not a city trying to compete.

Here is a link to the Third Ward, where I know there are numerous Chicago residents living on the week-end. How do I know this? Several are personal friends of ours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=974

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=974

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...!4d-87.8805518

Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Check out these figures on inter-city bus travel in 2014. These are stats for weekly ridership by route.
The highest ridership routes that year were (Table 26):

New York to Philadelphia - 44,269
New York to DC - 38,016
Boston to New York - 23,804
Baltimore to New York - 20,237
Boston to Portland - 11,236

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor..._bus_study.pdf

Of the Top 20 routes, only 8 were outside of the Bos-Wash corridor, and none were in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City