U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM

11,258 posts, read 5,766,591 times

Advertisements

Idk, but Philly seemed like a great place to live when I visited. The average rents are like 1/2 of NYC which is amazing! Seems like the last walkable refuge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 01:50 PM

1,420 posts, read 682,166 times
Last year, about 16,000 weekly, between Chicago and Milwaukee, on the Hiawatha (train).

Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM

27,621 posts, read 24,821,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Last year, about 16,000 weekly, between Chicago and Milwaukee, on the Hiawatha (train).
The Acela and N.E. Regional average about 225,000 weekly. Acela alone is around 66,000 per week on average.

https://www.narprail.org/site/assets...8/trains-1.pdf

In my experience, Acela is about 90% business travelers, the regional service is about a 50/50 split between business and recreational travelers, and Bolt/Megabus are about 90% recreational travelers.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Acela and N.E. Regional average about 225,000 weekly. Acela alone is around 66,000 per week on average.

In my experience, Acela is about 90% business travelers, the regional service is about a 50/50 split between business and recreational travelers, and Bolt/Megabus are about 90% recreational travelers.
I don't have those numbers, nor am I combining anything. I know quite a few travel between Chicago and St. Louis, as well. The population in the NE is so much higher, wouldn't we expect their numbers to be higher? This is a surprise? Or, what......not getting your point. Why would anyone need to share numbers in the most populated area of the country? I'm simply pointing out, that there is travel between Milwaukee and Chicago...someone suggested there was not.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:01 PM

27,621 posts, read 24,821,143 times
Quote:
I don't have those numbers, nor am I combining anything. I know quite a few travel between Chicago and St. Louis, as well. The population in the NE is so much higher, wouldn't we expect their numbers to be higher? This is a surprise? Or, what......not getting your point. Why would anyone need to share numbers in the most populated area of the country? I'm simply pointing out, that there is travel between Milwaukee and Chicago...someone suggested there was not.
I don't think we would expect it to be 14 times higher.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think we would expect it to be 14 times higher.
What's your point? I know you're trying to belittle....really? Why be so insecure. There is travel, and I pointed it out. You're just going to have to accept that. I'm talking Amtrak, I don't have bus ridership info. Not sure I know anyone who takes a bus between the two cities, although I'm sure some do. Most people just drive...we have cars. Everyone I know has a car, and they drive it between the two cities. Keeping track of bus ridership, has no meaning when you're trying to make comparisons. Like I said, we drive cars...

Last edited by Enean; 09-21-2017 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 PM

368 posts, read 223,300 times
I think its Great that Philadelphia is much cheaper than NYC, Boston, & even DC. Those cities are so expensive that minority communities are shrinking by the year, blacks and hispanics are leaving by the droves to suburbs, exburbs and other metros.

Aside from the more crime-ridden Baltimore and far smaller cities, Philly is the last bastion of large in-tact working-class black/hispanic communities in the Northeast. Not that those others dont have large minority communities, but their heavily threatened by gentrification n high cost of living.

In Philadelphia, I see "the hood" (low income black/hispanic areas) growing substanstailly, as there been strong increases of low income minorities from more expensive neighboring areas, it will become more black hispanic and even asian and less white. While in NYC, Boston, & DC most of "the hood" will shrink and disappear and turned into a white hipster neighborhood. Many of the blacks and Hispanics in those expansive cities leave for neighboring suburbs or smaller NE cities like Hartford, Albany, Yonkers, Newark, Allentown, Richmond or even bigger cities like Philly or Atlanta.

IDK why Chicago is cheap tho. Thats a different sitaution.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
I think its Great that Philadelphia is much cheaper than NYC, Boston, & even DC. Those cities are so expensive that minority communities are shrinking by the year, blacks and hispanics are leaving by the droves to suburbs, exburbs and other metros.

Aside from the more crime-ridden Baltimore and far smaller cities, Philly is the last bastion of large in-tact working-class black/hispanic communities in the Northeast. Not that those others dont have large minority communities, but their heavily threatened by gentrification n high cost of living.

In Philadelphia, I see "the hood" (low income black/hispanic areas) growing substanstailly, as there been strong increases of low income minorities from more expensive neighboring areas, it will become more black hispanic and even asian and less white. While in NYC, Boston, & DC most of "the hood" will shrink and disappear and turned into a white hipster neighborhood. Many of the blacks and Hispanics in those expansive cities leave for neighboring suburbs or smaller NE cities like Hartford, Albany, Yonkers, Newark, Allentown, Richmond or even bigger cities like Philly or Atlanta.

IDK why Chicago is cheap tho. Thats a different sitaution.
Chicago isn't really cheap....it's cheaper.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 PM

7,179 posts, read 3,881,160 times
Quote:

The Acela is the busiest because it's in the most populated corridor, and it's the only high-speed rail in the country. Amtrak might as well not exist outside of the Northeast Corridor.

All total, I spent about 25 years living in NYC, in various stages of my life. I visited Philadelphia and Boston once each, during that time period. No when I noticed that those cities frequently. Proximity to those cities was not one of New York's selling points. Proximity to New York is a selling point for those cities.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:52 PM

7,179 posts, read 3,881,160 times
Quote:
Chicago isn't really cheap....it's cheaper.
I don't want to quibble about what constitutes cheap, but to middle earners; say a teacher and a nurse, can afford to live in just about any Chicago neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or