Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don't want to quibble about what constitutes cheap, but to middle earners; say a teacher and a nurse, can afford to live in just about any Chicago neighborhood.
I don't think so. Have you lived there? They can live in a lot of neighborhoods, but not just "any." How sad, if a teacher and a nurse can't live in a nice neighborhood in other cities. Is that considered to be a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,892,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't think so. Have you lived there? They can live in a lot of neighborhoods, but not just "any." How sad, if a teacher and a nurse can't live in a nice neighborhood in other cities. Is that considered to be a good thing?
I lived there for several years and may be moving back next year. I look at Chicago real estate listings almost daily. I'm not saying you should be impressed that middle class people can live in "a nice neighborhood", but it is impressive that middle-class people can live in THE NICEST neighborhoods in a world-class city.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:08 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Quote:
I lived there for several years and may be moving back next year. I look at Chicago real estate listings almost daily. I'm not saying you should be impressed that middle class people can live in "a nice neighborhood", but it is impressive that middle-class people can live in THE NICEST neighborhoods in a world-class city.
I lived there, and they definitely can't live in the NICEST neighborhoods. They can live nicely, though.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,400,564 times
Quote:
The Acela is the busiest because it's in the most populated corridor, and it's the only high-speed rail in the country. Amtrak might as well not exist outside of the Northeast Corridor.

All total, I spent about 25 years living in NYC, in various stages of my life. I visited Philadelphia and Boston once each, during that time period. No when I noticed that those cities frequently. Proximity to those cities was not one of New York's selling points. Proximity to New York is a selling point for those cities.
You're down playing it, Bajan already posted the bus transportation numbers along the corridor. I understand you and your personal friends didn't frequent other NE corridor cities, but that is just from your interactions. NYC may be and added selling point for the other cities, but for whatever reasons may be NY'ers travel the corridor too, and much more than a Chicagoan will travel to Detroit or Indianapolis.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,753,676 times
The salaries for nurse and teacher can vary widely so it depends on where you work. Like the teachers in the public school districts in the decently nice and up suburbs of Chicago make a lot of money actually relatively. There are numerous tenured teachers working in nice school districts outside of the city who have been teaching for 20+ years making over $200K per year in the Chicago area at public schools. My friend's wife is a teacher in a decently nice suburb and has been making 6 figures as a teacher for years. Most of the teachers in these schools have at least a Masters degree.

You can see public school teacher salaries here. Top listed ones which are well over $300K per year are more administrative positions (i.e. superintendants, principals, etc).
https://www.openthebooks.com/search/?PensionCode=1802

However, this is probably more than most of the areas if you are a public school teacher inside the city. I know people in that camp who don't make 6 figures for sure and those people are not affording anywhere in the city, BUT they could afford many areas still. A lot better off than some more expensive cities in that regard for sure.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,507,694 times
Quote:
It doesn't really matter when you live in the Alpla city. When you live in New York City, being within driving distance of Boston and DC in Philly isn't a selling point. People in New York don't care about the Northeast Corredor. When I left New York it was almost never to visit one of those cities. When you live in Philly, proximity to those other cities matters.

The same goes for Chicago. Proximity to Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis and St. Louis isn't necessarily a selling point. You don't need those cities, but they're there. To be honest, I don't think Chicago is any less isolated than Boston. Regardless of what anyone tells you, Boston to New York is a 4+ hour drive. No other city of note (sorry, Providence) is less than six hours away.
People in NYC visit Philly, Boston and DC all the time.

Where are you getting your information from? Lol.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:12 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Chicago has a lower cost of living than NYC for one simple reason: there is plenty of available housing here.

Why isn't all of the housing full?

Chicago is far from most other big cities (NYC is relatively close to Philly, DC, Boston), it's really cold in the winter, the job market isn't as good here, it isn't as internationally connected as NYC, and there are large swaths of the city that are vacant/empty and have crime problems.
Part of that is because Chicago encourages construction and development and has the room to do so with fewer restrictions in place. Chicago has had an astounding amount of construction for a city that's not booming and I think that's been a strong driver in keeping housing costs down.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:18 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think we would expect it to be 14 times higher.
To be fair though, he was talking about one city pairing, but Northeast and Acela cover a much longer route with multiple metros and many more city pairing combinations.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
People in NYC visit Philly, Boston and DC all the time.

Where are you getting your information from? Lol.

Yeah A bombastic p.o.v. for sure.

Philadelphia is crawling with mid atlantic types. In Philly You cant swing a cat by its tail without hitting a car with a NY license plate.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:23 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Check out these figures on inter-city bus travel in 2014. These are stats for weekly ridership by route.
The highest ridership routes that year were (Table 26):

New York to Philadelphia - 44,269
New York to DC - 38,016
Boston to New York - 23,804
Baltimore to New York - 20,237
Boston to Portland - 11,236

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor..._bus_study.pdf

Of the Top 20 routes, only 8 were outside of the Bos-Wash corridor, and none were in the Midwest.
Quote:
It doesn't really matter when you live in the Alpla city. When you live in New York City, being within driving distance of Boston and DC in Philly isn't a selling point. People in New York don't care about the Northeast Corredor. When I left New York it was almost never to visit one of those cities. When you live in Philly, proximity to those other cities matters.

The same goes for Chicago. Proximity to Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis and St. Louis isn't necessarily a selling point. You don't need those cities, but they're there. To be honest, I don't think Chicago is any less isolated than Boston. Regardless of what anyone tells you, Boston to New York is a 4+ hour drive. No other city of note (sorry, Providence) is less than six hours away.
Love it when stats make posters look like idiots. Yes, New yorkers visit other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City