Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 03:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
And NYC won't lower rent they want poor out
There's not a monolithic consensus on this. There are people in NYC that want the poor out in general, though I doubt that's the majority. Then there's a portion who want to figure out a way that the poor can stay in the city and eventually become not poor. Then there are a portion who feel like the poor should always have a place as it's inevitable there will be poor people. Then there are a portion who seemingly want the poor to not just stay but remain poor (also, very small portion of people). Then there's a lot larger portion who don't give it much thought at all.

In terms of policies, NYC is very developer friendly, and compared to perhaps most US cities, has a lot more policies in place to keep and or build affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Brooklyn is red hot it consider cool Harlem is getting hot also hipsters want re-brand Harlem as SoHa 110-125th street area lol but Harlem residents not having it.
Oh God..... I really hope SoHa doesn't stick.
That's worse than DoBro

I've considered Harlem and I've also considered going back to Queens, but at this point of my life it's best for me to stay around Lower Manhattan + North Brooklyn

Old 08-03-2017, 11:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DC is already pretty dense the height issue isn't the driver
The height restrictions are a well known issue. Density has nothing do with it, it's about how many housing units you have, and the restrictions limit DC's housing and office stock. That raises DC's prices. Atlanta doesn't have that issue.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The height restrictions are a well known issue. Density has nothing do with it, it's about how many housing units you have, and the restrictions limit DC's housing and office stock. That raises DC's prices. Atlanta doesn't have that issue.
This being very true. DC, for the first time in years saw apartment rents drop 0.8% in the first two quarters due to over supply in such a short span. The city simply needs more housing to be built to keep up with demand, only now is supply slightly catching up.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...ply-boom-77223

Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Height restrictions only kept the downtown core of DC from having high-rises to skyscrapers there. Neighborhoods would have remained similar. Atlanta did NO density in high-rises in its neighborhoods and changes nothing as no high-rises outside the core make any difference it they could have them? Most Big cities restrict height in its neighborhoods to maintain their common scale. But their cores let them do high unlike DC.

Generally cost is by location..... location. Proximity to the cores have some highest values. The difference in housing varieties between cities play little roll unless demand for a limited amount is factored in. DC would have still had its quaint low-rise neighborhoods in NO height restrictions. Just a core area of high-rises to skyscrapers might have developed. But would not mean much more in high-rise living? As Philly's neighborhoods would be the same low-rise housing and its restrictions anyway ....only limited skyscrapers not high-rises till the 1980s in merely tradition and not by ordinance.

But of course if DC today ..... could do more high-rises? That would have lead to more housing units and might have eased demand more? But definitely its quaint row-housing neighborhoods would have had NIMBY'S and Preservationist prevent a whole lot of high-rises built still I'd say?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
I think the answer to the OP is more simple than a lot of people here seem to think.

Chicago is cheaper because of location. Lets be honest.. its in the middle of no where. If you want to visit another city from Chicago the only close enough to drive to is Detroit.

Philadelphia is sandwiched between Washington DC and NYC. Those two cities suck up most of the air in the room and push Philly into the background making it cheaper.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Chicago is cheaper because of location. Lets be honest.. its in the middle of no where. If you want to visit another city from Chicago the only close enough to drive to is Detroit.

Philadelphia is sandwiched between Washington DC and NYC. Those two cities suck up most of the air in the room and push Philly into the background making it cheaper.
Chicago is cheaper because of the harsh winter weather. The central location is perfect since flights to both coasts and the South are equidistant. (Typical snobby Bi-coastal elitism!)

Why live in just Washington or just NYC when you can have easy access to both? I can see both cities converging here eventually.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
I think the answer to the OP is more simple than a lot of people here seem to think.

The middle of nowhere for whom? Certainly not me, when I lived in Milwaukee...it was where I could go for lunch, and then back home to make dinner. Maybe the middle of nowhere for you, but there are over ten million people within an hour's drive of Chicago's metro, so that's hardly the middle of nowhere. Or, just an attempt on your part, to get a little dig in?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

Did St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis just vanish into thin air?

Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The middle of nowhere for whom? Certainly not me, when I lived in Milwaukee...it was where I could go for lunch, and then back home to make dinner. Maybe the middle of nowhere for you, but there are over ten million people within an hour's drive of Chicago's metro, so that's hardly the middle of nowhere. Or, just an attempt on your part, to get a little dig in?
Can't compare to the dense populations and MAJOR cities on the East and West coast. Its the middle of no where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis just vanish into thin air?
None of those cities are "destination" cities. Maybe St. Louis.. but barely.

No one really cares about Milwaukee, and Indianapolis. Not places on most people's bucket list to visit before they die. People outside the U.S. probably don't even know those places exist lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City