Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
To be fair though, he was talking about one city pairing, but Northeast and Acela cover a much longer route with multiple metros and many more city pairing combinations.
AND, most people drive...we all have cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
People in NYC visit Philly, Boston and DC all the time.

Where are you getting your information from? Lol.
I'm a New Yorker and I've been to all 3 of those cities within the last 2 years

Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Acela and N.E. Regional average about 225,000 weekly. Acela alone is around 66,000 per week on average.

https://www.narprail.org/site/assets...8/trains-1.pdf

In my experience, Acela is about 90% business travelers, the regional service is about a 50/50 split between business and recreational travelers, and Bolt/Megabus are about 90% recreational travelers.
+1:
what pair has more intermingling ?

Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The Acela is the busiest because it's in the most populated corridor, and it's the only high-speed rail in the country. Amtrak might as well not exist outside of the Northeast Corridor.

All total, I spent about 25 years living in NYC, in various stages of my life. I visited Philadelphia and Boston once each, during that time period. No when I noticed that those cities frequently. Proximity to those cities was not one of New York's selling points. Proximity to New York is a selling point for those cities.
So most people I know from
The Boston area have not been to NY once or twice. I would think it's roughly equal. I've been to several Sox games with Yankees Fans there who I'm sure aren't from Newton.

The fact is anything over 2.5 hours required a Hotel so most people will not frequent that place often.

In fact acedotally of the destinations about 4 hours from Boston, Downeast ME, Montreal, the Adirondacks and NYC for liesure travel NYC is probably the least popular.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Check out these figures on inter-city bus travel in 2014. These are stats for weekly ridership by route.
The highest ridership routes that year were (Table 26):

New York to Philadelphia - 44,269
New York to DC - 38,016
Boston to New York - 23,804
Baltimore to New York - 20,237
Boston to Portland - 11,236

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor..._bus_study.pdf

Of the Top 20 routes, only 8 were outside of the Bos-Wash corridor, and none were in the Midwest.
Remember NY is a hub, as it's basically the geographic center of the Northeast. So Scranton or Bringhamton to Boston is via NYC, Albany or Utica to Philly as well. So it's not necessarily that City pair that's popular.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Part of that is because Chicago encourages construction and development and has the room to do so with fewer restrictions in place. Chicago has had an astounding amount of construction for a city that's not booming and I think that's been a strong driver in keeping housing costs down.
First of all, a lot (but definitely not all) of construction is happening downtown in Chicago which you could characterize as a booming part of a city. The greater downtown area (Near North, Near South, Near West, and the Loop) grew a combined 9.3% in population between 2010 and 2015. When 2016 data by tract comes out in a few months it'll be higher than that no doubt.

In any case, I think that the prices of the city have stayed fairly flat if you only look at it from the city level statistics. That much is true. However, right now if you know exactly what's going on you know it's completely tied to the area or region of the city. The truth is that most areas have seen growth since 2010 - with a few areas such as downtown as a handful of other neighborhoods seeing very healthy growth. Many others are seeing growth but nothing amazing. It's one section of town that is losing almost as much as fast growing downtown has gained, which offsets. Pretty much goes for the prices. However, in many areas, not just downtown - but ones like Logan Square that have seen a healthy amount of new construction - prices for older homes/condos has increased too. It hasn't kept them in check like you think they are.

Example from Logan Square of an old multi unit building. Sold for $208K in 2011 and is now listed at $390K. That's an 87.5% price increase in 6 years.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M84008-74048

Lakeview - old house that sold for $377K in 2011 and is now listed at $525K. 40% price increase in 6 years:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M86520-04403

Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
None of those cities are "destination" cities. Maybe St. Louis.. but barely.

No one really cares about Milwaukee, and Indianapolis. Not places on most people's bucket list to visit before they die. People outside the U.S. probably don't even know those places exist lol.
You said absolutely nothing about "destination cities," and just about everything you just said about Milwaukee and Indianapolis could also be said about Detroit.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You said absolutely nothing about "destination cities," and just about everything you just said about Milwaukee and Indianapolis could also be said about Detroit.
I posted links that proves Milwaukee is a "destination" city. You can all ignore, if you want, but you would be wrong. I know it's not on people's bucket list, but it has something to offer.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM

16 posts, read 25,998 times
Might it be the 'cachet' thing? SF and Seattle have high-tech pedigrees. LA is the entertainment hub of the planet. Boston has those prestigious universities. NYC has, well, pretty much everything.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
I think people are defining "destination city" differently. No question Milwaukee has large scale events and a lot to offer. It's just that I think of San Fran, NYC, Chicago, Miami, etc. as destination cities. I'm not even sure I'd consider places like Boston or Philly as true destination cities in the more high-profile marketing sense. Although I would consider Philly and Boston much closer to that definition than Milwaukee, but that's another discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City