U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You never addressed the second point.
Yes, I believe there are many different reasons why people vote democrat or republican. I believe that while Seattle and Laredo are very blue, their demographics are very different.

Now, why do you think that among white voters, Trump only one one county in Texas? And this wasn't by a slight margin. He crushed it in almost every county and Hilary won 60% of the white vote in Travis county. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yes, I believe there are many different reasons why people vote democrat or republican.
Of course there are but my issue is that you painted all "older minority couples" with a broad brush in terms of their reasons for voting for Democrats. You're not getting a pass on that one.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM

1,865 posts, read 997,841 times
Quote:
Of course there are but my issue is that you painted all "older minority couples" with a broad brush in terms of their reasons for voting for Democrats. You're not getting a pass on that one.
Dallas County has many young, single, minorities who vote Democrat for a variety of different reasons, not just because they're a minority as Mr. Focker claims. Some are LGBT and those issues are important to them. Others need better and more efficient public transit. What's the difference between a White person in Seattle advocating for a higher min. wage and a Hispanic in Dallas advocating for the same?

I'll flip it around when it comes to Whites (I'm white btw). In the old coal mining towns of PA, most people are white and vote Democrat. However, many are socially conservative. Very pro union. So again, White = / = Liberal AND Liberal = / = Democrat. It's difficult to paint a broad brush, which is what Mr. Focker is doing with his "old Latino couple" example. Do Latinos in Dallas face the same issues as those in the Rio Grande Valley?

This whole thread is a perfect example of how the term "liberal" has such a subjective meaning. The same for what it means to be a conservative.

Last edited by DTXman34; 08-09-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
Quote:
I just pulled that as an example. It's not a comment with prejudice. I hate that you think that way.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM

1,865 posts, read 997,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The White vote in South Florida did not overwhelmingly go to Clinton as much as people would think according to that map. Though liberal does not equal democrat, is Miami really a fortress on the level of Philadelphia or Portland here?

The map is still funny to me. For instance, for Harris County, Clinton got the highest percentage of votes for a democratic candidate and the largest differential of votes percentage wise than any other candidate in probably decades. Yet 70% of Whites in that county voted for Trump. Either not many whites voted at all, every minority in that county voted, or this country is way more diverse than I thought. Same with Dallas County to a lesser extent which has consistently had the democratic candidate win
Yeah, that is interesting. I know for a fact that Highland Park in Dallas, which isn't part of the city, is a Republican stronghold and majority White. But Uptown Dallas & East Dallas are majority White, but a Democratic stronghold. I'm wondering if the city of Houston has similar trends. I'd imagine the majority white neighborhoods in the city, especially Midtown would've had different results than some majority white suburban town elsewhere in Harris County.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:04 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I just pulled that as an example. It's not a comment with prejudice. I hate that you think that way.
But you said "an older minority couple that just vote democrat because they think that's the party of minorities." This doesn't assign any specific reason as to why an "older minority couple" votes Democrat; the implication is that they are mindless sheep being told what to do as opposed to having actual concrete reasons for voting the way they do. I take issue with that...bigly.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Dallas County has many young, single, minorities who vote Democrat for a variety of different reasons, not just because they're a minority as Mr. Focker claims. Some are LGBT and those issues are important to them. Others need better and more efficient public transit. What's the difference between a White person in Seattle advocating for a higher min. wage and a Hispanic in Dallas advocating for the same?

I'll flip it around when it comes to Whites (I'm white btw). In the old coal mining towns of PA, most people are white and vote Democrat. However, many are socially conservative. Very pro union. So again, White = / = Liberal AND Liberal = / = Democrat. It's difficult to paint a broad brush, which is what Mr. Focker is doing with his "old Latino couple" example. Do Latinos in Dallas face the same issues as those in the Rio Grande Valley?

This whole thread is a perfect example of how the term "liberal" has such a subjective meaning. The same for what it means to be a conservative.
That's true. We often use "Democrat" as a proxy for liberalism but that's not always true. It's probably more true in this election than it was in prior ones but it's still a far from perfect correlation.

It's interesting to note, however, that the White support for Democrats intensified in some traditionally deep blue jurisdictions while it receded in others. Clinton outperformed Obama among White voters in nearly every county in the Bay Area. Clinton performed about the same as Obama in the District of Columbia and outperformed him in DC's largest suburban counties. On the other hand, Clinton performed significantly worse than Obama did in Philadelphia. Philly has a lot more of the traditional, White working-class Democratic voter that Trump was able to peel away.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM

125 posts, read 49,934 times
I'm still waiting on someone to explain how Philadelphia is a "Fortress" and not a "Powerhouse." Again, Philadelphia's "liberal eliteness" outweighs Seattle and is competitive with Boston and Chicago.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Yeah, that is interesting. I know for a fact that Highland Park in Dallas, which isn't part of the city, is a Republican stronghold and majority White. But Uptown Dallas & East Dallas are majority White, but a Democratic stronghold. I'm wondering if the city of Houston has similar trends. I'd imagine the majority white neighborhoods in the city, especially Midtown would've had different results than some majority white suburban town elsewhere in Harris County.
UPDATED: Where Trump Lost Harris County, Mapped | Swamplot

As you can see, the areas of blue are the majority of Harris County no matter the race or background.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:37 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I'm still waiting on someone to explain how Philadelphia is a "Fortress" and not a "Powerhouse." Again, Philadelphia's "liberal eliteness" outweighs Seattle and is competitive with Boston and Chicago.
I'd kick Boston and Philly up a level and demote Atlanta. On second thought, I might not demote Atlanta, but I would not place it in the same tier with Philly. Here is Clinton's share of the White vote in metro Atlanta's largest counties.

Dekalb - 56.5%
Fulton - 45.8%
Clayton - 33.8%
Cobb - 31.0%
Gwinnett - 27.5%
Douglas - 25.4%
Forsyth - 19.7%

Atlanta's suburbs are becoming more moderate, but I wouldn't describe the metro as liberal. I'd say the same thing about metro Baltimore.

Baltimore City - 67.4%
Howard - 56.0%
Baltimore County - 43.3%
Anne Arundel - 39.9%
Harford - 27.8%
Carroll - 26.9%

Howard County may join the DC MSA next Census, so I'm not sure if we can even say it "counts" for Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or