Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's true. We often use "Democrat" as a proxy for liberalism but that's not always true. It's probably more true in this election than it was in prior ones but it's still a far from perfect correlation.

It's interesting to note, however, that the White support for Democrats intensified in some traditionally deep blue jurisdictions while it receded in others. Clinton outperformed Obama among White voters in nearly every county in the Bay Area. Clinton performed about the same as Obama in the District of Columbia and outperformed him in DC's largest suburban counties. On the other hand, Clinton performed significantly worse than Obama did in Philadelphia. Philly has a lot more of the traditional, White working-class Democratic voter that Trump was able to peel away.
Looked like Clinton outperformed Obama in Texas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But you said "an older minority couple that just vote democrat because they think that's the party of minorities." This doesn't assign any specific reason as to why an "older minority couple" votes Democrat; the implication is that they are mindless sheep being told what to do as opposed to having actual concrete reasons for voting the way they do. I take issue with that...bigly.
You do you...... Sorry you took it that way, but I guess some people just like to go out of their way to be offended and outraged.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You do you...... Sorry you took it that way, but I guess some people just like to go out of their way to be offended and outraged.
There wasn't any need to "go out of my way;" the implication was pretty clear. You should just own it.

"an older minority couple that just vote democrat because they think that's the party of minorities." Like how else should that be taken????

Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Looked like Clinton outperformed Obama in Texas too.
Generally speaking, she won large metro areas by a larger margin than Obama and lost medium to small MSAs and rural areas by a larger margin than Obama. But more than half of America lives in the 25 largest MSAs, which explains how she won the popular vote by 3 million.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:04 PM

382 posts, read 488,318 times
Are liberals lazy and entitled or are they the urban elite? I'm confused. Which one is it?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
Are liberals lazy and entitled or are they the urban elite? I'm confused. Which one is it?
like conservatives....they're both.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd kick Boston ... up a level
me think so too. massachusetts was first to legalize gay marriage and one of the first to legalize recreational weed.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 PM

382 posts, read 488,318 times
Quote:
like conservatives....they're both.
I'm glad at least one person here has sense about them.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
I'm glad at least one person here has sense about them.
People vote for different reasons, not all libs are the same, not all pubs are the same. Some vote because they think that's how their demographic is supposed to vote. Others, because an event triggered them or their personal beliefs have changed.

I grew up in south Texas and have had discussions with Hispanics, young ones on voting. Most popular answer "my family has voted democrat for years, I'm not changing that." Then there are those that will vote because of some protest, like Occupy Wall Street, etc.

Tradition or change. Either way, there are good and bad people on both sides.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
People vote for different reasons, not all libs are the same, not all pubs are the same. Some vote because they think that's how their demographic is supposed to vote. Others, because an event triggered them or their personal beliefs have changed.

I grew up in south Texas and have had discussions with Hispanics, young ones on voting. Most popular answer "my family has voted democrat for years, I'm not changing that." Then there are those that will vote because of some protest, like Occupy Wall Street, etc.

Tradition or change. Either way, there are good and bad people on both sides.
What does this have to do with the thread topic?

We have had plenty of threads about conservative cities in this subforum without actually getting into politics. Somehow people see a thread about liberal cities as an invitation to discuss politics and engage in attacks on liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City