Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 05:00 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,309,727 times

Advertisements

and before your panties get too twisted, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron ate technically one Lake, 42,000 square miles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan–Huron

I'm sure that's not enough for Long Island folks, such a big island. But still, a rather small affair compared to the biggest lake on Earth, at 1,400 square miles. Yet the folks there need more water than a lake 30 times bigger than their island, greedy as they are for (salty)water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 AM

1,389 posts, read 844,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Excellent, please stay as close to the Ocean as possible.

But keep in mind that the Lake Chicago sits on is some 30 times larger than Long Island.
So if Long Island was sitting in the middle of a freshwater sea 30 times it size, they still wouldn't feel they are living near water? Maybe they only like saltwater? Hate freshwater?

https://youtu.be/MFywfETmtQ0
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
and before your panties get too twisted, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron ate technically one Lake, 42,000 square miles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan–Huron

I'm sure that's not enough for Long Island folks, such a big island. But still, a rather small affair compared to the biggest lake on Earth, at 1,400 square miles. Yet the folks there need more water than a lake 30 times bigger than their island, greedy as they are for (salty)water.
Size doesn't matter..it's not the ocean. For people that want the ocean for its varied marine life..quahog fishermen, whale watchers..for its more consistent ability to surf..it's just not the same.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I'm not sure if Chicago's lakefront is really relevant to this thread. While nicer than the Hudson River, and cleaner (and less trashy) than Coney Island, it's not something I see many tourists bothering with.
I was trying to stay out of all this, but.....what?! lol

Between the completed riverwalk and the lakefront - I can't think of anything more focal about Chicago than its waterways.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,638,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Size doesn't matter..it's not the ocean. For people that want the ocean for its varied marine life..quahog fishermen, whale watchers..for its more consistent ability to surf..it's just not the same.
I like the lake for watersports and relaxing, but like the ocean for going to the beach, fishing, and laying out.

They are both very different, but I think most people would prefer the ocean.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,273,646 times
I like the concept of this thread as it puts urbanites of a highly regarded world-class city to the test. Watch as these urbanites use the exact same arguments to argue against the query that people of Sunbelt metros use when their cities are labeled as "boring" and "generic."

When it comes down to it, there are fundamental flaws in reasoning people use often in their arguments about cities. Overcome these flaws, and you'll realize that there is no such thing as a generic/boring city: not even with the most sprawled out, suburban built area.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if Chicago's lakefront is really relevant to this thread. While nicer than the Hudson River, and cleaner (and less trashy) than Coney Island, it's not something I see many tourists bothering with.
LOL...thanks for the laugh. You know nothing about Chicago...clearly.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,591,700 times
Both cities are worth visiting, but NYC is just more fun. Having grown up there and just having visited again for my friends wedding, I have to admit it's pretty boring compared to NYC. I don't regret leaving my hometown for the East Coast 8 years ago. Things are more spread out, and it's more residential in Chicago. I also have issues that a very high percentage of bars are sports oriented. Chicago feels more American whereas NYC feels more international.

Also, visitor or living, it's nice that you can actually live or stay somewhere and see a (there are multiple) NYC skyline. Chicago has a big lake in the way of that.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM

376 posts, read 328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
LOL...thanks for the laugh. You know nothing about Chicago...clearly.
I don't know, I don't see tourists bothering to come to Chicago because of her lakefront. Maybe while they're already there they will take a stroll. But, it's not something I ever personally bothered when I went to Chicago. Just never cared. So some buildings face a lake, big deal.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,273,646 times
Quote:
I don't know, I don't see tourists bothering to come to Chicago because of her lakefront. Maybe while they're already there they will take a stroll. But, it's not something I ever personally bothered when I went to Chicago. Just never cared. So some buildings face a lake, big deal.
Not many cities in this country have an urban waterfront to such grandeur. You have to give credit where it is due.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Quote:
One of the best downtown lakefronts in the country...too bad it seems beyond you to appreciate that.

Last edited by Enean; 11-13-2017 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City