Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I would like to highlight the elements of Chicago that for me make it a very special city and worth a trip. I am not from Chicago but I go there regularly so my perspective is as an outsider.

1.) The River Walk: No other city in America has better integrated its water features into the urban planning of its city then Chicago. The river is not just a natural feature its an element of the city itself. Walking along the river you have sense that life is happening around you in 3 dimensions. It also offers incredible views of the city from within the city.

2.) The Loop is the epicenter: New York feels like a collection of many cities combined together with centers in Midtown, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and elsewhere. Chicago is centered around the Loop and everything else sort of revolves around it.

3.) The Architecture: Chicago is not only the best city for architecture in the US its arguably one of the best cities for architecture on the planet. It has a large and diverse collection of masterpieces, from some of the biggest architects from the 19th and 20th centuries. Its the birthplace of the skyscraper along with various original architectural styles such the Prairie Style and the Chicago School.

4.) Its the most American City in America but in the best possible way. Chicago doesn't try come off as cute and quaint. Its industrious blue collar heritage is ever present, with its large steel bridges and elevated rail lines. Its buildings are enormous, tall and robust. Often one building will take up an entire city block. Yet its very clean, inviting, walkable and packed with beautiful green space.

Highly recommend it. I like lots of cities around the world but Chicago is one I keep coming back to.

^^^^ Gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Normally I don't do this when we're talking subjective opinions. But come on, have you ever left the USA?

Try Miami/Miami Beach for starters (technically two cities but combined, smaller than Chicago).

And, I really really really don't see what's special about Chicago's waterfront. Maybe I missed something when I went there (to the waterfront) years and years ago (I'm usually in Chicago for business when it's not warm unlike you tourists).

I just saw a bunch of tall buildings, sand and beach. No European strand with cafes, restaurants and bars lining the sand? Really can someone point me to what's so special about a bunch of skyscrapers lining a lake?

No, just no. Chicago wouldn't make the top 25 list for best architecture. That list would be swamped by European and East Asian cities.

European cities like Prague, Vienna, St. Petersburg, Firenze, Barcelona, the list could go on and on and on from large to small.

Even East Asian cities, take Shanghai for example. Areas of the city look like Paris, areas have those tall, new, shiny skyscrapers that Chicago has (except these are newer and nicer), and areas have that Oriental architecture going on, and then there are the commie-style tenements. Just the variety there would blow your mind.

Speaking of which, I'm not with you Chicago is best in the USA.

Highly recommend it. I like lots of cities around the world but Chicago is one I keep coming back to.
[/quote]

^^^ And.... doesn't get it.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,274,832 times
Quote:
Normally I don't do this when we're talking subjective opinions. But come on, have you ever left the USA?

Try Miami/Miami Beach for starters (technically two cities but combined, smaller than Chicago).

And, I really really really don't see what's special about Chicago's waterfront. Maybe I missed something when I went there (to the waterfront) years and years ago (I'm usually in Chicago for business when it's not warm unlike you tourists).

I just saw a bunch of tall buildings, sand and beach. No European strand with cafes, restaurants and bars lining the sand? Really can someone point me to what's so special about a bunch of skyscrapers lining a lake?
The other poster was talking about the Riverwalk and you responded by criticising the lakefront. You understand that those are two different things, right? The Riverwalk is in fact lined with restaurants and bars, as well as other activities. It's definitely a highlight of Chicago (especially in the summer) offering a truly unique urban experience in the US and one of the most spectacular skyscraper canyons anywhere in the world.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM

376 posts, read 328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
The other poster was talking about the Riverwalk and you responded by criticising the lakefront. You understand that those are two different things, right? The Riverwalk is in fact lined with restaurants and bars, as well as other activities. It's definitely a highlight of Chicago (especially in the summer) offering a truly unique urban experience in the US and one of the most spectacular skyscraper canyons anywhere in the world.
The riverwalk is a river that goes through downtown. Like all downtowns, there will be restaurants around. We are talking about Chicago's waterfront. I cannot consider a river to be a waterfront....

You guys sound like you're paid to pitch Chicago for the next Olympic games. The "most spectacular skyscraper canyons anywhere in the world." No. Just one corner in Hong Kong has more skyscrapers.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,920,551 times
Personally, I've always preferred Chicago over NYC. Two unique experiences to be sure. I do understand tourists wanting to visit NYC first, but Chicago offers just as much in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:25 AM

1,013 posts, read 896,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Personally, I've always preferred Chicago over NYC. Two unique experiences to be sure. I do understand tourists wanting to visit NYC first, but Chicago offers just as much in my opinion.

I don’t get on here as often as I’d like to. And I like all cities and places in this country and can’t get onboard with slamming any of them and I like Chicago and what it has to offer. I also realize these are opinions. In my humble opinion Chicago doesn’t offer all that NYC does, it offers different things. Different part of the country, different geography, culture and different size and scope.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
The riverwalk is a river that goes through downtown. Like all downtowns, there will be restaurants around. We are talking about Chicago's waterfront. I cannot consider a river to be a waterfront....

You guys sound like you're paid to pitch Chicago for the next Olympic games. The "most spectacular skyscraper canyons anywhere in the world." No. Just one corner in Hong Kong has more skyscrapers.
How is a a riverfront not a waterfront? It's a body of water and it's common to refer to riverfronts throughout the US as waterfronts.

I do think Chicago should have gone for the 2024 or 2028 Olympic Games. I would love to be paid to pitch for it! Now that Los Angeles is doing 2028, it'll be unlikely for it to come to this part of the world again for another couple decades.

No one corner of Hong Kong has more skyscrapers than Chicago, that's ridiculous unless your idea of what a corner is also really idiosyncratic. What makes the Chicago skyscrape canyon unique is that it's a river canyon on a very narrow (and now nicely appointed) riverfront with many bridges and skyscrapers of many different eras. That makes it a really unique sight/site.

To the list of interesting Chicago things, I'd say the elevate rail tour of the skyscrapers is pretty good as well as it having its second and sometimes third layering of streets.

The lakefront in the winter is also interesting to see. Really damn cold though.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-14-2017 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No one corner of Hong Kong has more skyscrapers than Chicago, that's ridiculous unless your idea of what a corner is also really idiosyncratic.
It's very easy in the case of Hong Kong to define a 'corner' since the urban area is spread over 3, maybe 4 islands and those islands are full of hills stopping the development.

So have you counted the skyscrapers from Sai Wan to Causeway Bay (the southern corner) to make your claim? Because I'm pretty sure just that corner has 2x as many skyscrapers as Chicago, and the skyline is far more impressive as well.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It's very easy in the case of Hong Kong to define a 'corner' since the urban area is spread over 3, maybe 4 islands and those islands are full of hills stopping the development.

So have you counted the skyscrapers from Sai Wan to Causeway Bay (the southern corner) to make your claim? Because I'm pretty sure just that corner has 2x as many skyscrapers as Chicago, and the skyline is far more impressive as well.
Anyone here remember poster "dementor"?

Old 11-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Anyone here remember poster "dementor"?
Are your feelings so fragile that if not everyone expresses "rah rah Chicago skyscraper canyons" you get sad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City