U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM
 
1,900 posts, read 2,170,198 times
Reputation: 1845

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I brought up Miami/Miami Beach. Because if you combine these two cities together (again, much smaller than Chicago) then you have the most integrated city with the water in America.

Downtown Miami is bisected by canals, many of which remind you of the riverwalk, just on a smaller scale. You have the Bay of Biscayne, many islands, all of which with urban areas, until you hit the barrier island of Miami Beach which again has numerous buildings.

Again, Chicago can simply not compare to that level of water integration. Someone made the claim that Chicago is the "best integrated water city in the USA" I refuted it.
Chicago is hardly finished with it's potential for workng with it's existing water assets. The Southside is loaded with old industrial canals/ waterways that will at some point be developed. Here's one vision for what could be from Studio Ga

https://assets.goodstatic.com/s3/mag...jpg=s1200x1200
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:14 PM
 
377 posts, read 165,773 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Other countries define themselves by their best qualities, we choose and allow ourselves to define what is "American" by our worst qualities. How is New York and Chicago less American then LA or Houston? Also Suburbia was not an American idea, its English. Car centric town planning started in central Europe. Compact, skyscraper dominated cities is an original American idea. Hence that should be what we consider to be very American.
Skyscraper cities need not be 'compact.' In fact, I dislike skyscrapers because often the net result is less walkability. The epitome of walkability, mixed use development, and 'urbanity people like' are various European cities.

Manhattan for me, for example, is not very nice to walk in. Streets are too wide. Give me a city like Firenze any day over Manhattan for walkability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM
 
1,900 posts, read 2,170,198 times
Reputation: 1845
And on the far south lakefront, another industrial canal awaits transformation.

https://goo.gl/images/qK32ny

And the riverfront is nowhere near complete, new riverfront projects are coming on both the north and south branches, and Goose Island is still largely a blank slate with enormous potential to incorporate the river as a major asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 PM
 
1,419 posts, read 679,549 times
Reputation: 1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I don't care if anyone agrees with me, we're having a discussion. Not a "rah rah fest."

With you, you called me "demented" because I disagree on Chicago having "skyscraper canyons" or some other inflated praise of a city. Which to me feels pretty sad. Is your ego that fragile?
You are arguing here, and refuting Chicago's architecture...known as some of the best in the USA and the world. Not sure why you appear so insecure here, because what I just stated is fact. You do not admit to any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 PM
 
377 posts, read 165,773 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You are arguing here, and refuting Chicago's architecture...known as some of the best in the USA and the world. Not sure why you appear so insecure here, because what I just stated is fact. You do not admit to any of that.
No, it's not known as the "best architecture in the world." That's not a fact. How can that even be a fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 PM
 
1,419 posts, read 679,549 times
Reputation: 1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
No, it's not known as the "best architecture in the world." That's not a fact. How can that even be a fact?
Clearly, you're uninformed. Here a link...Chicago is definitely worth visiting.


https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efel.../#63229ccd4672

You can learn something by reading this, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 PM
 
377 posts, read 165,773 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Clearly, you're uninformed. Here a link...Chicago is definitely worth visiting.
No, thank you, I have been to Chicago.

I have also been to numerous other cities around the world. Chicago is not even in the top 25, or maybe top 50 when it comes to architecture.

Of course, technically this is a subjective opinion. It's just one I feel that just about everyone whose well traveled would agree with me. Either way, I can't call it a "fact" and neither can you. Do you even know what a fact means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 PM
 
1,419 posts, read 679,549 times
Reputation: 1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
No, thank you, I have been to Chicago.

I have also been to numerous other cities around the world. Chicago is not even in the top 25, or maybe top 50 when it comes to architecture.

Of course, technically this is a subjective opinion. It's just one I feel that just about everyone whose well traveled would agree with me. Either way, I can't call it a "fact" and neither can you. Do you even know what a fact means?
Someday, take some time, to do some reading on American cities. Then, maybe you'll understand. It's hopeless arguing with someone with a clear bias. I'm out. Also, you haven't responded to the architect who wrote in response to you, earlier. His post was informative, if you care to read a rebuttal to what you are posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:30 PM
 
377 posts, read 165,773 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Someday, take some time, to do some reading on American cities. Then, maybe you'll understand. It's hopeless arguing with someone with a clear bias. I'm out.
Maybe you should get acquainted with cities around the world before you call it a "fact" that Chicago has the best architecture in the world. If I were you, I'd stick to the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 PM
 
Location: San Jose
1,430 posts, read 439,427 times
Reputation: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
No, thank you, I have been to Chicago.

I have also been to numerous other cities around the world. Chicago is not even in the top 25, or maybe top 50 when it comes to architecture.

Of course, technically this is a subjective opinion. It's just one I feel that just about everyone whose well traveled would agree with me. Either way, I can't call it a "fact" and neither can you. Do you even know what a fact means?
People who know the subject (like myself) and know architecture would think your opinion is based upon emotion and ignorance. You may not like to accept it but Chicago is very significant to the history of architecture. This is not subjective, its a fact. The building styles, technology, engineering and architectural philosophy founded in Chicago has been copied the world over. You can either accept reality or choose to live in your fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top