Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:09 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,820,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I'd like to nominate SpringSnow for the first ever SpritzerPrize, an award dedicated to the individual who manages to throw the most Spitz on previously well respected architecture.

Not to be confused with the ShvitzerPrize, who he is in the running for, the prize dedicated to architecture critics who start to schvitz when confronted with their online bombastic self-indulgent opinions.
OMG & lmao!!! Thanks for making me spray wine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 AM

376 posts, read 328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Hong Kong apartments is like 50-180 square feet
You can get houses in HK too (in the hills) just price per sqft of those cost, and I calculated it once, one tenth of that the sqft of a spacestation. Those homes are only affordable to the banking gods of the world.

I know several people who live in 300sqft sized apartments in HK, in 'cheaper' areas that cost around 500,000 USD. I don't know how they do it, but they do. HK also offers the middle class ("sandwich class") many offers on apartments where they pay between 50-75% of the cost. Fact is, HK is probably the most expensive city in the world to live and this is all driven by China today. Most rich Chinese people want that HK passport, and the surest way to do that is buying a HK condo.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,309,727 times
Wow, look, he's practising his acceptance speech! Deflecting to living space in Hong Kong is a traditional technique for Spritzer Awards finalists, especially for threads based on Chicago architecture.. Well played SpringSnow!!!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,309,727 times
Never let them see you sweat, then you get kicked down to the Shvitzer Awards!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Wow, look, he's practising his acceptance speech! Deflecting to living space in Hong Kong is a traditional technique for Spritzer Awards finalists, especially for threads based on Chicago architecture.. Well played SpringSnow!!!
No one cares, go to sleep.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:55 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,753,676 times
HK's cost of living is insane - much worse for what you get in SF or NYC IMO. Anyway, I was just in Hong Kong a few weeks ago and sorry, they don't have tons of styles of architecture. Hong Kong was actually fairly boring as far as architecture goes other than a handful of office buildings on Hong Kong Island, which actually were nothing special especially compared to cities like Shanghai or Shenzhen. There were a few buildings that were cool, but it wasn't a ton. The majority of high rises in Hong Kong are concrete boxes and yes they have some good examples of more unique stuff like the Lippo Centre. I don't know how anybody who's been to Hong Kong lately can objectively say this though as most buildings in between are really, really boring and not unique. Shanghai easily has way more styles of architecture present than Hong Kong too. Cities like NYC, Chicago, etc offer a much more varied set of architecture in between the large handful of crown jewels. That's great a city has say 10 or 15 crown jewels, but in between all of that - not that varied. I will say though, Hong Kong easily has the most impressive skyline as far as size I've ever seen - truly remarkable, but the architecture itself? Nah.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
HK's cost of living is insane - much worse for what you get in SF or NYC IMO. Anyway, I was just in Hong Kong a few weeks ago and sorry, they don't have tons of styles of architecture. Hong Kong was actually fairly boring as far as architecture goes other than a handful of office buildings on Hong Kong Island, which actually were nothing special especially compared to cities like Shanghai or Shenzhen. There were a few buildings that were cool, but it wasn't a ton. The majority of high rises in Hong Kong are concrete boxes and yes they have some good examples of more unique stuff like the Lippo Centre. I don't know how anybody who's been to Hong Kong lately can objectively say this though as most buildings in between are really, really boring and not unique. Shanghai easily has way more styles of architecture present than Hong Kong too. Cities like NYC, Chicago, etc offer a much more varied set of architecture in between the large handful of crown jewels. That's great a city has say 10 or 15 crown jewels, but in between all of that - not that varied. I will say though, Hong Kong easily has the most impressive skyline as far as size I've ever seen - truly remarkable, but the architecture itself? Nah.
Hong Kong and Shanghai have pretty much the same architecture sets. Most of Shanghai is actually communist tenements, but then you have the Parisian-influenced Bund area, some new skyscrapers, and the historic areas. Hong Kong has all of these architecture styles (except replace communist style tenements to regular 1950s-1970s era apartment complexes) just skews more to the modern condo highrises.

But the comparison is not Hong Kong vs Shanghai (a city I brought up in the first place) but rather Hong Kong vs Chicago. Hong Kong has more architecture styles, and is more of a feast to look at than Chicago.

As for Shenzhen, it's more recently built than Hong Kong and 90% of that city is those same apartment complexes you seem to hate in Hong Kong.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:56 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Do you even know the World's Tallest skyscraper in Dubai - Burj Khalifa.... WAS DESIGNED BY THE CHICAGO ARCHITECTURAL FIRM. That did TRUMP TOWER CHICAGO in 2009, Willis (SEARS) IN 1973 and John Hancock in 1968. Skidmore Owens and Merrill. ALL ICONS. They have less Budget and Cost restraints to GO FURTHER in Asia. But still the US gets a share .....
You certainly get credit for being ONE vs the REST and for keeping the thread going..... But Chicago does get its praise for Architecture and its contributing to examples..... and yes, its skyscraper river canyon is unique with a history along its banks in the buildings. No one should have to post links etc.

Seems you are from Hong Kong.... the WE gave it away. But anyway .... I will pictures The skyscraper canyon you diss.....
Those pics are outrageously good. Besides reminding people not to play ball in the house, I've always said the view from Pioneer Court looking SW over the river is the embodiment of urban grandeur and possibly a top 5 skyline view in the world. Not hyperbole. Also, the view from Adler is in the top 10. Done and done.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:03 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
This is one of my favorite 360's.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8887...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-15-2017, 12:18 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, that is out-of-control good. There should be some sort of memorial placed there. Site of World's Most Urban Grandeur or somesuch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City