Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 AM

375 posts, read 331,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I also have no idea how you got on this "international visitor" bit. I went back just to re-read this thread. The OP barely posted anything and they are, as far as I know, from New Jersey (possibly the NYC area or not too far from it). They aren't living internationally. The only thing they really said was that they don't have a ton of money to travel around always and basically wondering if Chicago is similar enough to NYC where you can skip visiting it. They just wanted to see how different midwest/Chicago culture was from northeast/NYC culture. Literally 2 posts in this thread by the OP - nothing about them being international. Not even the bits of "cosmopolitan" really apply if you actually read what they wrote.
If I'm wrong and they live in the USA then by all means, Chicago is worth a visit someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:05 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
If I'm wrong and they live in the USA then by all means, Chicago is worth a visit someday.
You are wrong. They have two posts in this thread - one had one sentence asking if it's worth a visit if you've been to NYC. The other literally states they don't have a lot of money to travel usually and went on to compare NYC and Chicago based on what they've heard. Then they say they want to see if midwest/Chicago culture is different from NYC/northeast culture. Nowhere does it state anything about international visitation.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the point. We're talking about a first time visitor to the USA. They first have to hit the highlights before they hit the smaller and less famous cities. Maybe they will discover their favorite city in the USA is Anchorage, AK but have them visit the big names first to discover that.

So I'm saying that Chicago is "worth" visiting after they visited NYC, LA, DC, Boston, and Philadelphia.

And yes, I'm aware my list is somewhat subjective. But this afterall is the nature of this thread, it's asking for opinions. Everything stated here is subjective.
Thread is only if Chicago AFTER a NYC is a viable choice too. Not if Chicago IS A BETTER choice then other cities. Tourist #'s, sights that list tourist top sights etc. Prove Chicago HAS THE TOURIST WORTHY OPTIONS. The OP is NOT taking about international Tourist or a "Once in a Lifetime visitor".

But it surely is Mighty NYC, the California mystic and Hollywood, Disney, to our National Parks for scenic wonders too. International visitors chose to see. Saying Chicago is ONLY POSSIBLE INTEREST AFTER BOSTON and PHILLY? Is subjective too. Early US Colonial history is of LOW interest to international visitors anyway (there s little love for US politics hurting it) I doubt Communist Chinese want to see Independence Hall and Liberty Bell or a Colonial era neighborhood. Many Nations have regions far more then 200 yrs old also.

The fairly compact Core of Chicago gains TOTALLY the BULK of ALL TOURIST. It is becoming DISNEYESQUE in a Tourist attraction in itself. Especially in summer. 54-million Tourist and Business. travelers (with low international numbers yes) visiting Chicago .... again virtually ALL TO CHICAGO'S CORE. That is a Disney number too and concentrated in a handful of sq./miles of sights.

My point isn't the rest of the city and metro doesn't offer much..... it's just the CORE IS with SO MUCH ..... it's as a ATTRACTION ONTO ITSELF.

But it is true. Since Chicago is in the middle of the Nation with overall less Top cities and major scenic wonders, no Disney or Vegas or Hollywood or Miami Beach.
Chicago does have:
- major world-class museums (especially its Art Institute)
- American history of Architecture in its skyscrapers to housing.
- major entertainment and foodie city and the Blues for American music
- route 66 begins in downtown Chicago to Cali
- family oriented attractions for tourism numbers too
- even the All Capone era has much interest in its history (though he was a born and bred New Yorker)
- a beautiful lakefront adding scenery and grand views of a American city. Some title ("THE MOST AMERICAN CITY").
Quote:
You really have some issue with other people's opinions. No, I just don't like Chicago. I'm not sure why you find this weird.

I never said NYC was greener than Chicago. Try to keep up with the conversation.
No use arguing with others.... its personal with you against Chicago. Skewing anything others say. But if you have SPACIFICS you dislike about Chicago? That might give insight to understand you needing to argue Chicago warrants NO VISIT if one sees NYC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, they're totally different cities!

You''ll have a completely different experience.
Honestly, if this generally lessening and negative on Chicago poster ^^. Says Chicago IS WORTHY? Even after NYC. OMG..... It has to be true.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Yes Chicago is worth the visit !!!! Plan your trip before it get too cold

Neighborhoods to see

Chicago Loop area- Little Manhattan

Magnificent Mile
River North
Near North Side
South Loop
Chinatown
West Loop

Outer neighborhoods

Wicker Park
Lincoln Park
Lakeview
Old town
Ukrainian Village

Popular Attractions

Willis Tower
Millennium Park
Cloud Gate
Navy Pier
John Hancock tower
Chicago Riverwalk
Field museum of natural history
Michigan Avenue bridge historic bridge
And many more

Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Chicago has great pizza also Lou Malnati's Pizzeria and Aurelio's Pizza also more...

Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 AM

375 posts, read 331,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago has great pizza also Lou Malnati's Pizzeria and Aurelio's Pizza also more...
Ugh. American pizza is inedible. Subjective, ofc

Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
I'm doing a 'small thing' that's called reading between the lines. The OP is clearly a visitor to the US and their limitation is time. If everyone had infinite time, then all ~40,000 cities would be "worth visiting." It's lack of time that requires people to prioritize.

I just don't see anything special about Chicago. NYC is a large cosmopolitan city, Chicago is not really. Nor is it quaint, or historic, or charming or next to beautiful nature. But my opinion is not important. I actually don't like NYC as well, as I stated I prefer San Francisco, but I clearly recommended NYC.

Unfortunately for me, my job forces me to be in NYC at least several months a year. I get by, but I prefer greenery, peace, and quiet.

I'm currently based out of Singapore. But the nature of my work requires me to be around the world. I'm not from China but next week I will be in Hong Kong for example. I'm from the United States actually.
Back to the point of the thread, if someone chooses to visit NYC, is Chicago still a worthy city to visit (implication is that they are both huge, somewhat similar, etc.).

Unless you are a history buff, politico, or whatever, Chicago is a *far more* interesting city to visit, on multiple levels, than Boston, Philadelphia, DC, or Orlando, Vegas, etc. and frankly just about any other North American city. (I'll concede San Francisco, and maybe LA, but really, no others).

Yes, Chicago and NYC are siblings (Chicago being the little brother) and both are global world cities. They're somewhat similar on this merit but they have a plethora of attractions, culture, dining, vibrancy, etc., that most (nearly all) U.S. cities cannot offer. As world class cities, they both merit a visit, whether individually or packaged, on their individual merits alone. Not one at the expense of another.

Yes, Boston, Philly, DC are very interesting and worthy of tourist visits, but I'm not sure I'd place them above Chicago in this context. If you love history, then by all means, these are great cities. But on balance, if you seek an immersive, exciting, vibrant urban vacation with distinct attractions, atmosphere and environment, Chicago beats those cities, and merits a visit regardless of whether NYC is on the itinerary. I guess I should caveat this whole thing by saying this is my opinion, but I think there is also an objective nature to this post as well.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM

828 posts, read 691,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
If you visited New York City, do you think it is worth it to see Chicago?
Short answer: no.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Short answer: no.
Long answer?

Old 11-01-2017, 06:33 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Long answer?
The long answer is based upon reading Zambon's past posts, he tries to put down Chicago at each turn, whether comparing it to Atlanta, Phoenix or NYC. Sometimes, people just hate, for no reason at all, especially these days. I wish it were different.

I think NYC and Chicago are different in a good way from each other, and each one is certainly worth a visit based on size, things to do and tourist friendliness. There are very few cities in the US that I would say no to visiting, since each one is different and special in its own way. Even though somewhat depressed, Memphis and Detroit to me were worth the visit, since they are so interesting with so much history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City