Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Do you even know the World's Tallest skyscraper in Dubai - Burj Khalifa.... WAS DESIGNED BY THE CHICAGO ARCHITECTURAL FIRM. That did TRUMP TOWER CHICAGO in 2009, Willis (SEARS) IN 1973 and John Hancock in 1968. Skidmore Owens and Merrill. ALL ICONS. They have less Budget and Cost restraints to GO FURTHER in Asia. But still the US gets a share .....
You certainly get credit for being ONE vs the REST and for keeping the thread going..... But Chicago does get its praise for Architecture and its contributing to examples..... and yes, its skyscraper river canyon is unique with a history along its banks in the buildings. No one should have to post links etc.

Seems you are from Hong Kong.... the WE gave it away. But anyway .... I will pictures The skyscraper canyon you diss.....
Nice pictures.

Kayaking the Chicago River is a fantastic time. I like boats. I like skyscrapers. It's a good combination for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Do you even know the World's Tallest skyscraper in Dubai - Burj Khalifa.... WAS DESIGNED BY THE CHICAGO ARCHITECTURAL FIRM. That did TRUMP TOWER CHICAGO in 2009, Willis (SEARS) IN 1973 and John Hancock in 1968. Skidmore Owens and Merrill. ALL ICONS. They have less Budget and Cost restraints to GO FURTHER in Asia. But still the US gets a share .....
You certainly get credit for being ONE vs the REST and for keeping the thread going..... But Chicago does get its praise for Architecture and its contributing to examples..... and yes, its skyscraper river canyon is unique with a history along its banks in the buildings. No one should have to post links etc.

Seems you are from Hong Kong.... the WE gave it away. But anyway .... I will pictures The skyscraper canyon you diss.....
I like those Chicago shots

Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:

Great photos.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 PM

337 posts, read 929,517 times
Quote:
Do you even know the World's Tallest skyscraper in Dubai - Burj Khalifa.... WAS DESIGNED BY THE CHICAGO ARCHITECTURAL FIRM. That did TRUMP TOWER CHICAGO in 2009, .....

Yeah, these were all designed by Adrian Smith. He lives very close to me (in Lake Forest, just to the south). I have wondered what his own house looks like, one day I'll find it...

I heard right now he's working on the world's next tallest building, to surpass Burj Khalifa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Smith_(architect)

Old 11-14-2017, 10:15 PM

375 posts, read 331,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
If we're talking 20th century architecture, NYC and Chicago are easily at the top. Here are a few of my favorite buildings in Chicago. Try finding the same for Hong Kong.
Why are we talking about just 20th century architecture? Let's talk about all architecture. Let's talk about being impressed when you walk into the city.

Quote:
Art Deco - Merchandise Mart (1930), Chicago Board of Trade (1930), Civic Opera House (1926), Carbide and Carbon Building (1929)

Neo-Gothic - Chicago Temple Building (1924), Tribune Tower (1925)

Neo-Classicism - 35 East Wacker (1927)

Spanish Colonial Revival - Wrigley Building (1924)

Structural Expressionism - John Hancock Center (1969)

Modernism - Marina City (1964), Aqua Tower (2009), Trump Tower (2009), The Legacy at Millennium Park (2010)

International Style - Lake Point Tower (1968), Willis Tower (1974)

Post-Modernism - Two Prudential Plaza (1990), 900 North Michigan (1989)
Now for Hong Kong, I nominate:

The Lippo Centre

Bank of China Tower

IFC and ICC

The Cultural Centre

Chi Lin Nunnrey

Legco Building

Exhibition Centre

HK and Shanghai Bank Headquarters

Repulse Bay

King Yei Lin Manson

Jardine House

Highcliff/Summit

As a tour for what Hong Kong has to offer both new, old, and everything inbetween. Honestly though it's not just Hong Kong, there are a whole host of Asian cities (Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo) who I would place above Chicago when it comes to "new and shiny" buildings (and almost all European cities when it comes to architecture overall). And while KL is overall not as nice as Chicago (architecture) the Petronas Towers are probably the nicest single piece of architecture anywhere in the world.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
How did this thread evolve into skylines in other countries????? That is not what the thread is about. Who took this off track? Hong Kong?? Seriously. Actually, the rules on City vs. City, state that you are not to compare US or North American cities to those of other countries. Them's the rules.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 PM

375 posts, read 331,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
How did this thread evolve into skylines in other countries????? That is not what the thread is about. Who took this off track? Hong Kong?? Seriously.
Well for the starters the guy who claimed Chicago had the nicest architecture anywhere in the world, which you affirmed. Don't expect to make a claim and go unchallenged. Unless the purpose of this thread is blowing kisses at Chicago.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,367,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
No, it's not known as the "best architecture in the world." That's not a fact. How can that even be a fact?

I just had dinner with a leading Mexican architect tonight, who went on and on again about Chicago. I've heard similar praise from Japanese, Korean and Thai architects. And just last summer I took what is basically the leading female structural design engineer on Earth, a dear French friend, to a Chicago observation deck, who then made me spend three hours atop The John Hancock, she was basically wetting her panties in awe of what she was witnessing. At age 43, her first trip to Chicago, a dream of hers since college.

Take all that for what it's worth Springs Snow, one who is easily melted.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Well for the starters the guy who claimed Chicago had the nicest architecture anywhere in the world, which you affirmed. Don't expect to make a claim and go unchallenged. Unless the purpose of this thread is blowing kisses at Chicago.
No one said it was the nicest....find it and quote it, if that's true. Chicago is known for its architecture, though, and it's beautiful...that cannot be denied. Well, by most.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Yeah, these were all designed by Adrian Smith. He lives very close to me (in Lake Forest, just to the south). I have wondered what his own house looks like, one day I'll find it...

I heard right now he's working on the world's next tallest building, to surpass Burj Khalifa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Smith_(architect))
Well, hopefully he'll fill that giant Spire hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City