U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati or Dallas? Which city would you rather live in?
Cincinnati 79 47.59%
Dallas 87 52.41%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:53 PM

21,281 posts, read 33,266,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigand View Post
Cincinnati people are very cliquish based on the high school they attended. Very weird.
LOL @ this because it's not the first time I've heard it.
I think it's fairly typical for an insular city with little incursion from outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
On the topic of taxes, do you feel you are paying more taxes in DFW than in Cincinnati, because of the property tax, or are you paying less now?
Not at all.

I live in NKY. The state tax is 6% and property is 1.2%.

I send my kids to private school because public schools are not good where I live.

Dallas prop tax is 2.2% and I'm able to get some homestead exemptions. Sending kids to public.

Net net I'm way better off in Dallas in terms of tax.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 PM

573 posts, read 163,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
LOL @ this because it's not the first time I've heard it.
I think it's fairly typical for an insular city with little incursion from outsiders.
I think a big difference is that cities that receive very few migrants and immigrants (which Cincinnati does), you have the same people around for generations. Its easier for it to be that way. In Dallas, you have a city and metro area that is chalk full of domestic migrants and international immigrants. That makes it harder to be insular.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think a big difference is that cities that receive very few migrants and immigrants (which Cincinnati does), you have the same people around for generations. Its easier for it to be that way. In Dallas, you have a city and metro area that is chalk full of domestic migrants and international immigrants. That makes it harder to be insular.
Yes, the high-growth cities tend to dilute the long-term residents.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 453 times
Dallas is a high growth city by design, not accident. The Dtate and people work tirelessly and sacrifice a lot to keep it growing. It's that Teaxan Go-getter attitude.

Cincinnati has an Oh-Well'er attitude. The Bengals won't fire Marvin Lewis despite his performance.

Having said all that, I am very saddened to leave Cincy. I've lived here for 16 years. I have nothing but fond memories. I leave behind amazing friends and relationships. I'll miss this city a lot. The city has treated me very well, in every way. I will forever be grateful to Cincy and Northern KY.

As I make my move to Dallas the end of this month, I'm reminded of this song:

What a wonderful day, to lose it all. To lose it all.
What a wonderful way, to choose to fall. To choose to fall.
It's all for the best, for all I know.
What a way to go!!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:54 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,099,352 times
Which has better year-round weather? For me, a tie
Which has friendlier people? Again, a tie
Which has less traffic? Cincinnati
Which has the better economy? Dallas
Which has a lower cost of living? Cincinnati

I love both cities, actually. I'll give an ever-so-slight edge to Cincinnati.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:33 PM

865 posts, read 1,203,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigand View Post
Dallas has a growing economy. Cincinnati has a shrinking economy.

To clarify, Cincinnati's economy may not be growing anywhere near as fast as Dallas, but it is growing, and certainly not shrinking.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
To clarify, Cincinnati's economy may not be growing anywhere near as fast as Dallas, but it is growing, and certainly not shrinking.
Plus I think it's almost undeniable at this point that the legacy cities are experiencing a re-emergence as many millennials seem to be eschewing the Sunbelt lifestyle.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-the-rust-belt

Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,043,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Plus I think it's almost undeniable at this point that the legacy cities are experiencing a re-emergence as many millennials seem to be eschewing the Sunbelt lifestyle.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-the-rust-belt
I think you mean suburban lifestyle in general. Millennials have actually been urbanizing sunbelt cities. The city of Dallas is not growing due to prototypical "sunbelt" characteristics. It's building up in terms of density and walkability.

Old Today, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I think you mean suburban lifestyle in general. Millennials have actually been urbanizing sunbelt cities. The city of Dallas is not growing due to prototypical "sunbelt" characteristics. It's building up in terms of density and walkability.
Yes, that would be more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or