U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Cincinnati or Dallas? Which city would you rather live in?
Cincinnati 70 47.62%
Dallas 77 52.38%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM
 
138 posts, read 76,189 times
Reputation: 139

Advertisements

Which has better year-round weather? Dallas because Cincinnati's winters are too long.
Which has friendlier people? Who knows?
Which has less traffic? Cincinnati
Which has the better economy? Probably Cincinnati
Which has a lower cost of living? Definitely Cincinnati

I like both, but Cincinnati has a great downtown and is overall more walkable than Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2017, 12:16 PM
 
75 posts, read 50,755 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Any person (even fictional) with a modicum of sense would think so as well, and this despite your efforts to design the criteria to benefit Cincinnati (Less Traffic!). Dallas is a juggernaut; Cincinnati is simply sputtering along. During my numerous visits to Cincinnati over the years I really tried to uncover the city's charms, but in the end I think I was simply Waiting for Godot.
Would you take Louisville over Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM
 
3,464 posts, read 2,577,744 times
Reputation: 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Any person (even fictional) with a modicum of sense would think so as well, and this despite your efforts to design the criteria to benefit Cincinnati (Less Traffic!). Dallas is a juggernaut; Cincinnati is simply sputtering along. During my numerous visits to Cincinnati over the years I really tried to uncover the city's charms, but in the end I think I was simply Waiting for Godot.
I get what your saying as Dallas is a beast economically, but that's not all there is to a city and whether it's ideal. Dallas's natural setting, you must admit, is sorta eh, compared to Cincinnati, and the city has less traditional urbanity and density than Cincy does. Cincy has a higher overall walkability rating, more people living in neighborhoods exceeding 90 (it's densest census tracts are more so than Dallas) and a comparable amount of people living in nabes exceeding 70. The fact of Cincy's urban feel vs. Dallas is illuminated even more by the fact that Cincy's population is a quarter of Dallas', yet is still more urban. Weather is subjective, I can see where people would have a preference for either (I prefer avoiding the excessive heat of a place like Dallas). In addition, Cincinnati is located closer to what would constitute mountains, and is also closer to true dynamic urban centers (like Chicago, etc.). Also livability metrics, like COL, traffic, etc., do matter to a lot of people. So, yes, I can see where people would prefer Dallas based on milder winter weather, economy, sports (airport? shopping?) etc., but Cincy generally offers someone with my interests more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I get what your saying as Dallas is a beast economically, but that's not all there is to a city and whether it's ideal. Dallas's natural setting, you must admit, is sorta eh, compared to Cincinnati, and the city has less traditional urbanity and density than Cincy does. Cincy has a higher overall walkability rating, more people living in neighborhoods exceeding 90 (it's densest census tracts are more so than Dallas) and a comparable amount of people living in nabes exceeding 70. The fact of Cincy's urban feel vs. Dallas is illuminated even more by the fact that Cincy's population is a quarter of Dallas', yet is still more urban. Weather is subjective, I can see where people would have a preference for either (I prefer avoiding the excessive heat of a place like Dallas). In addition, Cincinnati is located closer to what would constitute mountains, and is also closer to true dynamic urban centers (like Chicago, etc.). Also livability metrics, like COL, traffic, etc., do matter to a lot of people. So, yes, I can see where people would prefer Dallas based on milder winter weather, economy, sports (airport? shopping?) etc., but Cincy generally offers someone with my interests more.
I dont disagree with anything you wrote. If the question was "which city has better walkable neighborhoods" or "which city has a better surrounding", Id gladly give Cincinnati the vote. Ill take it one step further. I believe Cincinnati and Detroit are two of the top five most underrated cities in the US. I thoroughly enjoy the city a lot!

But Dallas is just on another level. Its simply too much bigger. Its more international, its way, way, way more ethnically diverse, it does have a better economy, and its airport can take you just about anywhere on earth nonstop.

Cincinnati is a great city, but it would be better compared to other cities on its level. San Antonio, Portland, Tampa, or St. Louis would be good comparisons. Dallas is just on another level in size and offerings that come with size. It would be akin to comparing Dallas to Los Angeles.

Massive cities arent for everyone though so if someone were to prefer Cincinnati, Id understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM
 
3,464 posts, read 2,577,744 times
Reputation: 2131
I get all of those points re: Dallas too. I think the fact that it is international/diverse, the job opportunities, sports, and just general population metrics coming from an area like Dallas offers a lot.

I think the airport would be an added bonus also, but not a necessity for me. A necessity for me, would be at least having an airport (like a Cincinnati) that has a reasonable number of national destinations (gets to some places in all 4 census regions of the US + major cities) is actually more important to me, because while I do travel abroad from time to time, it's more important to at least be able to say, take a Cincinnati to Dallas and then connect over to whatever other city I'm headed to. However, I'm guessing intl travel from Dallas is cheaper/easier for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,901 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Reputation: 12552
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
Would you take Louisville over Cincinnati?
Yes, I would. Louisville is a fine city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 PM
 
2,058 posts, read 1,088,634 times
Reputation: 1350
Dallas offers more for sure, Cincy is more aesthetically appealing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 06:47 AM
 
27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Reputation: 16474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You assume correctly, sir.
Cincinnati will get some pity votes, though.
It's a matter of personal preference. Bigger doesn't automatically mean better for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,901 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Reputation: 12552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's a matter of personal preference. Bigger doesn't automatically mean better for everyone.
And it was not my only criterion, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 07:08 AM
 
27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Reputation: 16474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And it was not my only criterion, either.
That's pretty much what it boils down to and it's still a matter of personal preference. And let's keep in mind that this is Cincinnati vs Dallas, not Cincinnati vs DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top