U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Cincinnati or Dallas? Which city would you rather live in?
Cincinnati 85 48.02%
Dallas 92 51.98%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2017, 12:31 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,470 posts, read 14,953,510 times
Reputation: 12025

Advertisements

I'd choose Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2017, 06:18 AM
 
481 posts, read 292,206 times
Reputation: 437
Big D. Easy choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,770 posts, read 1,751,715 times
Reputation: 3468
Which has better year-round weather? This is subjective, but I hate the hot and don't mind the cold, plus I live for seasonal variation.
Cincy

Which has friendlier people? So we're comparing Midwesterners vs. Southerners. Hah. Not even close.
Cincy, by a mile

Which has less traffic? According to Inrix Data, Dallas ranks as 7th worst in the US, Cincy ranks as 40th worst.
Cincy

Which has the better economy? With a 3.7% unemployment rate, Dallas beats Cincy and its 4.7% rate. https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm
Dallas

Which has a lower cost of living? Both are lower than average, but Dallas by only a little and Cincy by a lot.
Cincy, by about 10%

So based on your criteria I'd say Cincy wins 4-1. Is Cincy a better city than Dallas? Maybe, or maybe not, but based on OPs 5 criteria it is. I you hate the cold and don't mind a hot, humid summer, then Cincy still wins 3-2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,829 posts, read 8,962,296 times
Reputation: 2347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Which has friendlier people? So we're comparing Midwesterners vs. Southerners. Hah. Not even close.
Cincy, by a mile
Dallas is known for being the stereotypical snobby and pretentious place in Texas. They think they're up there with L.A., but the Park Cities (rich place) is only to the level of Orange County--the South O.C. in particular.

Houston is the complete opposite. I have to remind my visiting Aunt from L.A. not to put on her entire makeup case when we're only going to the grocery store around the corner or picking up the mail from my mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 AM
 
1,803 posts, read 1,230,206 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Dallas is known for being the stereotypical snobby and pretentious place in Texas. They think they're up there with L.A., but the Park Cities (rich place) is only to the level of Orange County--the South O.C. in particular.

Houston is the complete opposite. I have to remind my visiting Aunt from L.A. not to put on her entire makeup case when we're only going to the grocery store around the corner or picking up the mail from my mailbox.
We don't think we are "up there" with LA. Dallas is more snobby but Houston is more pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 10:55 AM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,692 posts, read 1,254,664 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
We don't think we are "up there" with LA. Dallas is more snobby but Houston is more pretentious.
Eh, Austin and Dallas are the most snobby and pretentious places in Texas by far. Houston is defiantly more laid back for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 11:14 AM
 
1,803 posts, read 1,230,206 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Eh, Austin and Dallas are the most snobby and pretentious places in Texas by far. Houston is defiantly more laid back for sure.
I disagree.Dallas definitely has more of an obsession with wealth while Houston has a more inflated sense of importance. You can be pretentious or snobby without being the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Colorado
390 posts, read 230,097 times
Reputation: 710
Easily Cincinnati. The nearby nature, the parks, the lively arts community, the relatively mild weather, the close proximity to other cites and destinations, and the fact that I just don't want to spend more of my life sitting in traffic. Kudos to Dallas for being a huge economic engine. Still, my preference is Cincy and the quality of life found there.

Last edited by ms12345; 09-04-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,593 posts, read 26,957,321 times
Reputation: 9529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I disagree.Dallas definitely has more of an obsession with wealth while Houston has a more inflated sense of importance. You can be pretentious or snobby without being the other.
Houston isn't part of the thread but I absolutely disagree with you on Houston being pretentious. Dallas is indeed more pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,961 posts, read 4,325,610 times
Reputation: 2007
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top