U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Cincinnati or Dallas? Which city would you rather live in?
Cincinnati 72 47.68%
Dallas 79 52.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,021,901 times
Reputation: 1359

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston isn't part of the thread but I absolutely disagree with you on Houston being pretentious. Dallas is indeed more pretentious.
In what way? Just look at the forums here, there are some Houston boosters who drastically overestimate the importance of Houston because of either the city limits population or it being the Oil Capital of the nation (or some who go as far as saying the Energy Capital of the World). There aren't any similar attitudes from DFW on here. If you mean in other ways, well, I see no difference; whenever I was in Houston attending UH (where it seemed nearly everyone but me was from the Houston area) the people weren't less pretentious than the people who I went through primary and secondary school with in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM
 
28,026 posts, read 25,136,631 times
Reputation: 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Just look at the forums here
Which really aren't reflective of real life in many ways. Houston might have its fair share of boosters on here, but in real life? I don't think there's a more modest major city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,304 posts, read 7,259,229 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Dallas is known for being the stereotypical snobby and pretentious place in Texas. They think they're up there with L.A., but the Park Cities (rich place) is only to the level of Orange County--the South O.C. in particular.

Houston is the complete opposite. I have to remind my visiting Aunt from L.A. not to put on her entire makeup case when we're only going to the grocery store around the corner or picking up the mail from my mailbox.
I have yet to meet anyone in Dallas who thinks that we're on the level of LA. Just because you've encountered a few snobs doesn't mean that's a reflection of the entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 09:44 AM
 
Location: East Side, Indianapolis
191 posts, read 153,976 times
Reputation: 269
Cincinnati for me. Watching the constant weenie-wagging contests that go on between people in the different large cities in Texas is kinda emblematic of Texas itself. I'm much more likely to find people I can tolerate in a place like Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 PM
 
1,910 posts, read 1,037,098 times
Reputation: 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I have yet to meet anyone in Dallas who thinks that we're on the level of LA. Just because you've encountered a few snobs doesn't mean that's a reflection of the entire city.
Don't bother with him. He thinks the city of Dallas is the next Detroit and is hardcore Evangelical in the city. He's ignorant and proud of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM
 
1,910 posts, read 1,037,098 times
Reputation: 2060
Houston is a rather modest city. Dallas is more pretentious, but not so much on a nationwide scale. Austin is indeed the most pretentious city in the nation.

Cincy is less pretentious than Dallas, but also a lot more insular. Pick your poison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,021,901 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which really aren't reflective of real life in many ways. Houston might have its fair share of boosters on here, but in real life? I don't think there's a more modest major city in America.
Did you stop reading at that point? I only brought up the forums because, one, its something we can go back and point to for each other and, two, because the people I've met in Houston in real life weren't less pretentious than the people in DFW. While I don't believe the behavior of people on the internet are completely reflective of reality, I do think it amplifies certain characteristics and miniscule differences. Surprised you make that claim when the major city of San Antonio is only a couple of hours away.

Also, just pointing out, this started because someone from Houston decided to use a thread that has nothing to do with Houston to put Dallas down and play up Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 PM
 
28,026 posts, read 25,136,631 times
Reputation: 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Did you stop reading at that point? I only brought up the forums because, one, its something we can go back and point to for each other and, two, because the people I've met in Houston in real life weren't less pretentious than the people in DFW. While I don't believe the behavior of people on the internet are completely reflective of reality, I do think it amplifies certain characteristics and miniscule differences. Surprised you make that claim when the major city of San Antonio is only a couple of hours away.
I mean REAL major city, like a top 10/15 city (metro).

And yes, Dallas does have a certain "pretentiousness" about it, if by that one means "flashiness." I get what he was getting at. And I happen to like Dallas (and Houston).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 PM
 
138 posts, read 78,960 times
Reputation: 139
Cincinnati can be pretty snobby and pretentious, too. I've heard people who live or lived in Cincy complain about how they hate the people, and find them to be arrogant. I'm sure that's especially true of many of the city's wealthier residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,369 posts, read 3,439,365 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
Cincinnati can be pretty snobby and pretentious, too. I've heard people who live or lived in Cincy complain about how they hate the people, and find them to be arrogant. I'm sure that's especially true of many of the city's wealthier residents.
I agree, Cincinnati is snobby and pretentious for sure. The people are insular, cliquish, and unwelcome to Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top