Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State with best BBQ if you could only have one.
North Carolina 18 14.63%
South Carolina 13 10.57%
Georgia 7 5.69%
Tennessee 24 19.51%
Alabama 5 4.07%
Texas 39 31.71%
Kansas 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:05 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times

Advertisements

Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,624,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post

According to Travel + Leisure, the best cities for bbq are:
  1. Kansas City
  2. Memphis
  3. Austin
  4. Houston
  5. Nashville
  6. Oklahoma City
  7. Dallas
  8. Atlanta
  9. Charleston
  10. Albuquerque
  11. Detroit
  12. Louisville
  13. New Orleans
  14. Phoenix
  15. Tucson
  16. Los Angeles
  17. Cleveland
  18. Providence
  19. Chicago
  20. Tampa
Of the states in this thread's poll, the winners are Texas (3) and Tennessee (2).

America

I'm surprised LA even made it on any list for best BBQ. We are great for ethnic foods like (Mexican and Asian), but the Southern states clearly has the best BBQ by far.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,061,344 times
Quote:
According to the readers of Condé Nast Traveler, the best cities in the US for bbq are:
  1. Kansas City MO
  2. Memphis
  3. Austin
  4. Kansas City KS
  5. Fort Worth
  6. Nashville
  7. Dallas
  8. Birmingham
  9. Houston
  10. Oklahoma City
  11. San Antonio
  12. Branson MO
  13. Raleigh
  14. Montgomery AL
  15. Knoxville
The states with the most cities in the list are Texas (5) and Tennessee (3).

Best BBQ in America: Top 15 Cities - Photos - Condé Nast Traveler

1. Kansas City
  2. Memphis
  3. Austin
  4. Houston
  5. Nashville
  6. Oklahoma City
  7. Dallas
  8. Atlanta
  9. Charleston
  10. Albuquerque
  11. Detroit
  12. Louisville
  13. New Orleans
  14. Phoenix
  15. Tucson
  16. Los Angeles
  17. Cleveland
  18. Providence
  19. Chicago
  20. Tampa
Of the states in this thread's poll, the winners are Texas (3) and Tennessee (2).

America
LMAO this list is hilarious!!!! There are just a handful of places in New Orleans that even sell barbecue and only two of them are decent (Walker's and Blue Oak)...N.O. is home and all but man stop it.

...oh and L.A? L.A. BBQ?? I just moved from Los Angeles and unless you're referring to Korean BBQ you'd be hard pressed to find great barbecue there.

There seems to be several people saying "Georgia"...I live in Atlanta now so if there are any recommendations please shoot em my way. Don't say SmokeJack either...overrated

Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 AM

7,098 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Since we are doing states, I would say Missouri. St. Louis and Kansas City has the best BBQ around.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM

187 posts, read 212,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
One thing I loved about Bham's food scene was the BBQ spots; Saws, Full Moon, Jim N Nicks, Golden Rule, Dreamland and etc. Didn't even know the city was huge on BBQ before...
I agree there are a lot of BBQ restaurants around Birmingham, but none are what I would call special or better than your run-of-the-mill pulled pork sandwhich type place. You can find that literally anywhere. I'm talking about the kind of BBQ that makes you go WHOA this place is different and better than average.

Full Moon is the plainest bbq I've ever had.. You get BBQ and baked beans and it's nothing special at all. Jim n Nicks is better IMO but still just a restaurant. Dreamland, you're getting close here.. But with a super small menu, few locations, it's kinda eh.. Golden Rule, ehhhhh come on.. Basic.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
According to the readers of Condé Nast Traveler, the best cities in the US for bbq are:
  1. Kansas City MO
  2. Memphis
  3. Austin
  4. Kansas City KS
  5. Fort Worth
  6. Nashville
  7. Dallas
  8. Birmingham
  9. Houston
  10. Oklahoma City
  11. San Antonio
  12. Branson MO
  13. Raleigh
  14. Montgomery AL
  15. Knoxville
The states with the most cities in the list are Texas (5) and Tennessee (3).

Best BBQ in America: Top 15 Cities - Photos - Condé Nast Traveler

1. Kansas City
  2. Memphis
  3. Austin
  4. Houston
  5. Nashville
  6. Oklahoma City
  7. Dallas
  8. Atlanta
  9. Charleston
  10. Albuquerque
  11. Detroit
  12. Louisville
  13. New Orleans
  14. Phoenix
  15. Tucson
  16. Los Angeles
  17. Cleveland
  18. Providence
  19. Chicago
  20. Tampa

America

I think the top list is only of the number of bbq places in the city. For instance, every one of those cities named before Birmingham have their own famous bbq shticks or flavors or specialties. If anyone here think's Birmignhams bbq scene is even in the same conversation as the other cities mentioned, you're not very traveled. To further this premise, Montgomery AL made the list. I'm not saying there are not good places there. But certainly not comparable to other bbq masters on the list.

Last edited by jdawson1237; 08-02-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM

I'm actually surprised that anyone voted for Georgia and Alabama as having better bbq than the other states in the list.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
LMAO this list is hilarious!!!! There are just a handful of places in New Orleans that even sell barbecue and only two of them are decent (Walker's and Blue Oak)...N.O. is home and all but man stop it.

...oh and L.A? L.A. BBQ?? I just moved from Los Angeles and unless you're referring to Korean BBQ you'd be hard pressed to find great barbecue there.

There seems to be several people saying "Georgia"...I live in Atlanta now so if there are any recommendations please shoot em my way. Don't say SmokeJack either...overrated
As a former Atlantan: Fox Brothers > Community Q > Somewhere in Bankhead>....................................... Fat Matt's

I voted Tennessee, since Memphis is right up the road from where I lived in Mississippi, so I was exposed to that style of BBQ the most. But I could definitely be swayed to vote for Texas and/or Missouri because the BBQ in those areas is pretty damn good. I love Brisket, and I love the sweet sauce from KC style BBQ and the smoky sauce on St Louis style ribs.

As for Los Angeles, you have to go to South LA to find really good BBQ. When I lived there, my relatives and friend's preferred Bludso's in Compton or Phillips in Leimert Park. Those were the two most consistently named by people. No, BBQ in LA isn't as good as what you get in the Midwest or the South, but they work well with what they have. And the hot links I cannot find good hot links outside the West Coast at all.

I'm in the DC area now and a lot of people here like that slop known as North Carolina-style pulled pork with vinegar, and it's hard to find great barbecue up here. Mission BBQ is trash, and Dickey's is just alright. Famous Dave's is still open here long after they closed a lot of their locations further south.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:44 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As a former Atlantan: Fox Brothers > Community Q > Somewhere in Bankhead>....................................... Fat Matt's
I love Fat Matt's but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to eat at a true BBQ joint.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:55 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,388,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
I agree there are a lot of BBQ restaurants around Birmingham, but none are what I would call special or better than your run-of-the-mill pulled pork sandwhich type place. You can find that literally anywhere. I'm talking about the kind of BBQ that makes you go WHOA this place is different and better than average.

Full Moon is the plainest bbq I've ever had.. You get BBQ and baked beans and it's nothing special at all. Jim n Nicks is better IMO but still just a restaurant. Dreamland, you're getting close here.. But with a super small menu, few locations, it's kinda eh.. Golden Rule, ehhhhh come on.. Basic.
That's honestly the reason why BBQ pork sandwiches are my favorite now lol, any BBQ place I go to, I always order BBQ Pork Sandwhiches, even inside the UAB Student Center there's a BBQ spot that stays busy. Not saying Miami is up there in terms of BBQ, but there's this place I go to that sells the best BBQ Pork Sanwhiches in Dade, along with Ribs, Dirty Rice, Shrimp and etc.

I don't know, I find Texas BBQ as the best overall; but whenever I'm in Texas I never really go for BBQ. My family in DFW is mostly Black/Mexican, so whenever I touch down, it's either homemade Mexican food, or In-N-Out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City