U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State with best BBQ if you could only have one.
North Carolina 18 14.75%
South Carolina 12 9.84%
Georgia 7 5.74%
Tennessee 24 19.67%
Alabama 5 4.10%
Texas 39 31.97%
Kansas 17 13.93%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 PM

633 posts, read 438,465 times

Advertisements

Missouri, Texas, Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM

20 posts, read 13,471 times
NC BBQ is king in the south

Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM

18,231 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I'm in the DC area now and a lot of people here like that slop known as North Carolina-style pulled pork with vinegar, and it's hard to find great barbecue up here. Mission BBQ is trash, and Dickey's is just alright. Famous Dave's is still open here long after they closed a lot of their locations further south.
No kidding. DC does things well in food. BBQ isn't one of them. That NC style pulled pork BBQ turns me off immediately and I'd rather go to Chipotle once I see it. Also, it's amazing that I have yet to go to Famous Dave's. Wonder if I'm missing something with that place.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:29 PM

6,163 posts, read 9,457,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No kidding. DC does things well in food. BBQ isn't one of them. That NC style pulled pork BBQ turns me off immediately and I'd rather go to Chipotle once I see it. Also, it's amazing that I have yet to go to Famous Dave's. Wonder if I'm missing something with that place.
We have a couple Famous Dave's here in Denver. Compared to good Texas BBQ it's pretty much what you'd expect out of a mass-appeal BBQ chain (a la Dickey's). The quality is better than Dickey's, but it's not top shelf by any means. It's ok in a pinch.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 PM

11,545 posts, read 17,903,967 times
Eastern NC pulled pork BBQ, every day of the week!
Side note: I tried Burnt Ends the other week for the first time while on business in Austin. Meh....

Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM

187 posts, read 147,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Eastern NC pulled pork BBQ, every day of the week!
Side note: I tried Burnt Ends the other week for the first time while on business in Austin. Meh....
Burnt ends can be hit or miss since they're pretty sensitive to cook correctly. Also, I know for me, sometimes I don't love what's new. Some things do take a few rounds to gain an appreciation. That's my experience at least.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:04 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,211,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As a former Atlantan: Fox Brothers > Community Q > Somewhere in Bankhead>....................................... Fat Matt's

I voted Tennessee, since Memphis is right up the road from where I lived in Mississippi, so I was exposed to that style of BBQ the most. But I could definitely be swayed to vote for Texas and/or Missouri because the BBQ in those areas is pretty damn good. I love Brisket, and I love the sweet sauce from KC style BBQ and the smoky sauce on St Louis style ribs.

As for Los Angeles, you have to go to South LA to find really good BBQ. When I lived there, my relatives and friend's preferred Bludso's in Compton or Phillips in Leimert Park. Those were the two most consistently named by people. No, BBQ in LA isn't as good as what you get in the Midwest or the South, but they work well with what they have. And the hot links I cannot find good hot links outside the West Coast at all.

I'm in the DC area now and a lot of people here like that slop known as North Carolina-style pulled pork with vinegar, and it's hard to find great barbecue up here. Mission BBQ is trash, and Dickey's is just alright. Famous Dave's is still open here long after they closed a lot of their locations further south.
Man I havent had good hot links in over a decade! I also didn't venture to the South Bay area as much as I wish I had. One of my favorite burger spots is in Gardena and another in Watts, but I didn't run across any smoking grills while out there.

Its possible that the only thing I truly love about Texas is the barbecue...growing up in Marshall, we had no idea how good we had It. To this day when I visit my parents I have to stop by Bodacious on my way out

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 AM
BMI

6,521 posts, read 3,802,430 times
The two T's.

Texas ....then Tennessee

Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM

15,706 posts, read 3,125,402 times
Texas is my favorite.Angelo has my favorite bbq in Texas.I love the German-style sausage.I also like the ribs in Memphis

Old 08-05-2017, 01:10 PM

2,030 posts, read 1,435,271 times
Forget a broad, generic list of states.

Memphis, Kansas City, and Austin...in THAT order.

End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or