U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:11 AM

8,642 posts, read 8,781,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Cleveland always gets made fun of and it is a cool city, it never gets a break from the national media. Cleveland has replaced Detroit as the whipping boy city of the media. I will not stand for it as a Buckeye native, it is not fair.
That's not from the national media, that's because Clevelandrrs are negative themselves. The "Factory of Sadness" guy had a segment on the Local news making fun of the Browns. The viral "Cleveland Tourism video" was also made by a group of Clevelanders.

Same thing with Buffalo, I've never met a group of people so negative about their hometown that Buffaloians. That word of mouth spreads. Say what you will about snobby Coastal folks (or Chicagoians) but they are upbeat and positive about their hometowns almost to a fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,676,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I read an article that said "packs of wild dogs are taking over Detroit." While the article did make some points with abandonment and city finances, I agree not many other US cities would media be so thrilled to write articles like that about.
That's sorta true, in certain neighborhood. Detroit has a BIG problem with feral packs of dogs.

I would be much more scared of the dogs than any "bad dudes" if I were to walk or bike Detroit ghettohoods. You wanna face down a hungry pack of feral pit bulls, in a half-vacant neigborhood, in a city where the police take 1 hour to respond?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,570,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That's not from the national media, that's because Clevelandrrs are negative themselves. The "Factory of Sadness" guy had a segment on the Local news making fun of the Browns. The viral "Cleveland Tourism video" was also made by a group of Clevelanders.

Same thing with Buffalo, I've never met a group of people so negative about their hometown that Buffaloians. That word of mouth spreads. Say what you will about snobby Coastal folks (or Chicagoians) but they are upbeat and positive about their hometowns almost to a fault.
Yeah, unfortunately historically Clevelanders have been the city's own worst enemy. But fortunately times are a-changin' and the positive press the city has been getting nationally as well as the amazing growth of downtown and the hot areas over the past few years, are putting the local naysayers in the distinct minority making them look silly. Last year's Cavs' championship followed, a few weeks later, by the national/international high praise heaped upon the City for its unexpected quality (at least to those holding stereotypes) and flawless handling of the RNC, really helped reverse the negative spin.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM

5,059 posts, read 3,482,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's sorta true, in certain neighborhood. Detroit has a BIG problem with feral packs of dogs.

I would be much more scared of the dogs than any "bad dudes" if I were to walk or bike Detroit ghettohoods. You wanna face down a hungry pack of feral pit bulls, in a half-vacant neigborhood, in a city where the police take 1 hour to respond?
I didn't deny it was happening, but the articles made it sound like it was an Escape from New York type of situation where the dogs were now literally running the city.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 AM

995 posts, read 491,803 times
Quote:

Actually the "Cleveland Tourism Video" was made by the same guy who made the "Factory of Sadness" video his name is Mike Polk.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:08 AM

995 posts, read 491,803 times
Quote:

Actually, it's 50/50 when it comes to the negative view of Cleveland some of the negativity of Cleveland comes from Clevelanders, and the rest does come from the national media especially with Cleveland's sports history or the Cuyahoga River catching fire. Also, there have been multiple comedians, athletes and analysts that have taken shots at Cleveland. It's easier for Coastal people and Chicagoans to be upbeat about their cities when the national media praises the hell out of them constantly, viewed tourists destinations, hip, cool, glamorous, plenty of pro sports success and center of the universe. It's easy for you to say this because you're from a city that almost everybody considers hip, cool and diverse.

On the flip side, cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, etc. are seen as 3rd World countries and America's whipping boys. I say you should have a balance view about your cities; don't be the biggest Debbie Downer, but don't be the biggest homer or cheerleader either. A lot of people feel that people in New York, L.A., Boston or Chicago don't have that balanced view of their cities.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 08-12-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,334,771 times
Quote:

In fairness, the Browns are an out-and-out joke.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:27 AM

1,798 posts, read 979,158 times
Quote:

Those were videos made to be a parody and funny by local folks.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
The factory of sadness and tourism videos are made by the same one guy.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:30 AM

8,642 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The factory of sadness and tourism videos are made by the same one guy.
Actually the same group of like 5 guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or