U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 620,564 times

Advertisements

There's a forum here on CD called "Do Legacy Cities Get a Pass?" It was asking do cities like Cleveland, St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore or Buffalo get pass due to their past history. Myself and many others feel that those cities don't get a pass because they've been maligned nationally for so long, and feel that the major Coastal cities, Sunbelt cities and Chicago get more of a past than Rust Belt cities. Which cities get more of a pass? Why or why not? Or, do any of these cities get a pass at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM

29,575 posts, read 27,042,748 times
That thread you're referencing was specifically about urbanity and was pretty much limited to here on C-D.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That thread you're referencing was specifically about urbanity and was pretty much limited to here on C-D.
I know, but I want to know do major cites get more of a past than rust belt legacy cities. Because there was a debate that people feel that legacy get more of a pass while myself and others felt that the bigger cities get a pass.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,469,666 times
Let me preface this by saying I love New York. I grew up there and I think it's the best city in the country. That said, New York gets more passes than any other city in the world. Its wages don't match its cost-of-living. It's the weather is abysmal...brutal winters AND summers.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Also, when has Cleveland ever been looked at for urbanity? Most people feel that Cleveland isn't urban enough or doesn't have enough urbanity like the Coasts or even Pittsburgh.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM

12,309 posts, read 11,801,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I know, but I want to know do major cites get more of a past than rust belt legacy cities. Because there was a debate that people feel that legacy get more of a pass while myself and others felt that the bigger cities get a pass.
If you're focusing on urbanity, it depends upon what group you're talking about.

NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC and San Francisco lead in terms of urbanity. I do think there's a tendency to lump the non-NYC five together though, when in fact I think it's pretty clear that Philly is a more urban city than DC (and arguably Boston).

The OP in the other post was mostly contrasting the Rust Belt with the Sun Belt however, saying we overhype the urbanity of the latter when it really isn't much better. I think he's wrong, although again there are big differences. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis have good urban form (although all have been partially wrecked by urban renewal) while Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, and Milwaukee are much more dominated by detached single-family houses outside of CBD area.

I do think however there's no major difference in urbanity between the legacy cities of the Great Lakes (which I mentioned above - Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, and Milwaukee) with the non-Rustbelt cities in the midwest (Indianapolis, Columbus, Minneapolis, Kansas City). I think at this point you could even argue that due to infill, western cities like Seattle, Portland, and even Denver might be ahead of them.

Last edited by eschaton; 08-01-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM

29,575 posts, read 27,042,748 times
Quote:
In what sense? Your question is way too broad.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 PM

9,322 posts, read 9,454,704 times
Quote:
Also, when has Cleveland ever been looked at for urbanity? Most people feel that Cleveland isn't urban enough or doesn't have enough urbanity like the Coasts or even Pittsburgh.
People often class cities into "urban" and "suburban"
Obviously NY is just on another level but Cleveland, Cincinnati and St Louis gets classed with Seattle, DC, Boston, and Chicago as "urban" despite the former group being closer in density to "suburban" cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Columbus, or Austin.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:17 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,469,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People often class cities into "urban" and "suburban"
Obviously NY is just on another level but Cleveland, Cincinnati and St Louis gets classed with Seattle, DC, Boston, and Chicago as "urban" despite the former group being closer in density to "suburban" cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Columbus, or Austin.
I've never been to Cincinnati, but I get the impression that it's level of urbanity is closer to Boston's than Seattle is. To be honest, while Seattle has a world-class downtown, I don't think it's other neighborhoods are more urban than say, Pittsburgh. It's definitely less urban than Baltimore.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
In what sense? Your question is way too broad.
I mean, do the Coastal or Sunbelt cities and/or Chicago get passes to the point that their flaws get glossed or does the Rust Belt/Legacy cities get a pass and their flaws get glossed over? Because a lot of people on one side say that Legacy cities get a pass and don't get criticized enough while myself and other feel that the Coast, Sunbelt cities and maybe Chicago gets more of a pass and they're not criticized enough for their flaws like the Rust Belt is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or