Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville vs. Indianapolis vs. Cincinnati
Louisville 23 28.05%
Indianapolis 15 18.29%
Cincinnati 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,301,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The fact that Cincy has Kings Island alone... Enough said.
Holiday World is closer to Louisville than the rest, #1 rated water park

Old 08-06-2017, 12:02 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,584,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I do it all the time. Check out the subdivision called Plum Hill in Floyds Knobs. There is a few vacant lots in the back where you can walk up the lots and have sweeping city views.

Google "Irouqouis Park Lookout" This has the most urban hilly views. Nearby are several great ethnic neighborhoods. Stop for food at Au Chau or Vietnam Kitchen in that area
Sounds like a plan. My friends and I were discussing that at some point in the next couple years hitting the Kentucky Derby:
Flying up on a Friday morning and exploring throughout that day (city nabes, Louisville Slugger, hill views/parks etc.), back in city Friday evening for atmosphere/events. Saturday, spending all day at the track, getting there early as possible to have a great view/generally take it in. Sunday, perhaps Mammoth Cave and/or Bardstown and a distillery tour before flying back Sunday evening. I'm thinking if I did all that though, I'd probably fly into CVG or IND though and bring a rental car down though because I'd imagine that would be more cost effective.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:10 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,584,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Holiday World is closer to Louisville than the rest, #1 rated water park
Not necessarily true (unless you're saying it's closer to Holiday World than the other two). Louisville to Holiday World is 1:16, Cincinnati to Kings Island is 0:27. Cincinnati also has Coney Island (small waterpark) 10 minutes from downtown, an indoor waterpark 20 minutes from downtown, and a more significant indoor waterpark connected with Cedar Fair/Kings Island, Soak City, 30 minutes from downtown. Louisville seems to have a seasonal amusement park and small water park closer also. Indy lacks a theme park surrounding it, but does have a decent looking indoor and decent looking outdoor water park. However, I don't know how strong of motivators these would be in any case, though I suppose for families having the options would be nice (esp. Kings Island).

Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,301,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Not necessarily true (unless you're saying it's closer to Holiday World than the other two). Louisville to Holiday World is 1:16, Cincinnati to Kings Island is 0:27. Cincinnati also has Coney Island (small waterpark) 10 minutes from downtown, an indoor waterpark 20 minutes from downtown, and a more significant indoor waterpark connected with Cedar Fair/Kings Island, Soak City, 30 minutes from downtown. Louisville seems to have a seasonal amusement park and small water park closer also. Indy lacks a theme park surrounding it, but does have a decent looking indoor and decent looking outdoor water park. However, I don't know how strong of motivators these would be in any case, though I suppose for families having the options would be nice (esp. Kings Island).
What I said is indeed true, there is no "not necessarily". As you said, Louisville to Holiday world is just over an hour. Cincinnati to holiday world is almost 3 hours. I said in my post, that Louisville is closest to Holiday World, the #1 water park. I said nothing about Kings Island.

Kings Island is a great amusement park, especially for more "thrill" rides, but the water lake is as any other normal park. If someone wants an amazing water park, Holiday World would be that, and Louisville is the closets, BY FAR

Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,056 times
Quote:
nice post but I feel too many people are swayed by downtowns. Louisvilles neighborhoods are sometimes so hidden you really need a local urban enthusiast to show you the nooks and crannies and how they change with festivals occurring pretty much every weekend in warm months. Also you mentioned NKY for Cincinnati but everyone forgets S. Indiana contains 1/4 of Louisville MSA, sweeping skyline views from bluffs JUST like Cincinnati, and very urban, walkable dt districts.

Here is some info on how Fiber is chosen
https://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseac.../#8a12a794b764
Having a great downtown is important, especially for visitors. Maybe the reason I don't like Louisville is because I always stay downtown. It's not impressive at all compared to downtown Indy or Cincy. All the cool neighborhoods you discuss in Louisville lack significant hotel room inventory. I don't want to have to Uber everywhere when I visit somewhere. A nice walkable downtown that keeps me entertained is more important. It's also important to residents who call that downtown home.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:07 PM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Having a great downtown is important, especially for visitors. Maybe the reason I don't like Louisville is because I always stay downtown. It's not impressive at all compared to downtown Indy or Cincy. All the cool neighborhoods you discuss in Louisville lack significant hotel room inventory. I don't want to have to Uber everywhere when I visit somewhere. A nice walkable downtown that keeps me entertained is more important. It's also important to residents who call that downtown home.
Louisville's downtown is not up to par with the other two, but its neighborhoods beat those in Indy handily. Its not even close, and I am willing to prove that with objective data such as restaurants, local coffee shops, and indie stores by neighborhood.

Louisville's neighborhoods are at least as good as those in Cincinnati, and it is certainly safer overall.

When was the last time you were in Louisville? Downtown alone has 7 cranes up within one mile of city hall, and there is construction all over the place. 22 hotels under construction as we speak. So Louisville's downtown is no slouch. Remember Indy pretty much put all its resources and redevelopment into downtown.

Also, Louisville has more Airbnb rooms than both Indy or Cincinnati. It is very easy to stay in any number of walkable urban neighborhoods in Louisville, and its not a mega large city, so yes it is easily explored by bike, bus, uber, or the free downtown zerobuses. I guess if you are a coporate guy who wants to stay at the Conrad, eat at Palomino, and go to a Pacers game, then Indy is for you.

But Louisville is different....artsy, hipster, unique, local. In Louisville a superior experience is staying at the GraleHaus Airbnb, walking down two flights of stairs to Gralehaus for locally sourced food, then walking to Jack Fry's for dinner and buying a unique tee shirt at Dirty Tease. Much different urban experiences for two very different cities.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 PM

201 posts, read 216,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I agree, Louisville does have a rather crappy downtown.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:00 AM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
When has the last time you have been there? It's certainly not "crappy" and very active. That's why around 10 hotels are being built as we speak just in downtown, along with several thousand rental units.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
Why?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM

192 posts, read 240,123 times
Quote:
Louisville's downtown is not up to par with the other two, but its neighborhoods beat those in Indy handily. Its not even close, and I am willing to prove that with objective data such as restaurants, local coffee shops, and indie stores by neighborhood.

Louisville's neighborhoods are at least as good as those in Cincinnati, and it is certainly safer overall.

When was the last time you were in Louisville? Downtown alone has 7 cranes up within one mile of city hall, and there is construction all over the place. 22 hotels under construction as we speak. So Louisville's downtown is no slouch. Remember Indy pretty much put all its resources and redevelopment into downtown.

Also, Louisville has more Airbnb rooms than both Indy or Cincinnati. It is very easy to stay in any number of walkable urban neighborhoods in Louisville, and its not a mega large city, so yes it is easily explored by bike, bus, uber, or the free downtown zerobuses. I guess if you are a coporate guy who wants to stay at the Conrad, eat at Palomino, and go to a Pacers game, then Indy is for you.

But Louisville is different....artsy, hipster, unique, local. In Louisville a superior experience is staying at the GraleHaus Airbnb, walking down two flights of stairs to Gralehaus for locally sourced food, then walking to Jack Fry's for dinner and buying a unique tee shirt at Dirty Tease. Much different urban experiences for two very different cities.
Because there's nowhere in Indy where you can stay in an Airbnb, have a short walk to a place with locally sourced food and buy a unique tee shirt nearby...please. Your homerism is showing. What you just described can be found in nearly every mid size and large city in America. There is nothing remotely unique about the hipster culture found in Louisville...it's been replicated everywhere and is no longer the draw it once was. This isn't 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City