U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville vs. Indianapolis vs. Cincinnati
Louisville 23 28.05%
Indianapolis 15 18.29%
Cincinnati 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,333,518 times

Advertisements

In another thread, I made the claim that Louisville is clearly superior to Indy and Cincy. That claim met some resistance. I looked to see if a past thread has compared these three cities head-to-head, and surprisingly, my search yielded nothing. So let's see what the general city-data consensus is.

Between Louisville, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati, which city reigns supreme? Consider the following:

Restaurants and bars
High culture (art, symphonies, ballets, museums)
Popular culture (sports and music)
Outdoor recreation
Economy/jobs
Health/safety/crime
Education
Architecture
Local character

Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Restaurants and bars: Louisville
High culture (art galleries, symphonies, ballets): Cincinnati
Popular culture (sports and music): Cincinnati
Outdoor recreation: Cincinnati
Economy/jobs: Indianapolis
Health/safety/crime: Cincinnati
Education: Cincinnati
Architecture: Cincinnati
Local character: Louisville

I would choose Louisville.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM

5,785 posts, read 6,335,815 times
Well I don't have the experience to adequately compare these cities. The only one I can claim to know is Indy. I've stopped in to Louisville twice on my way through town and Cincy I've stopped in once and on another occasion visited for 2 days.

That said, I am going to guess that Cincy would be my preferred city with Louisville an extremely close second. Basically these two cities are right at the top of my list for cities I don't know well. And the trajectory of Louisville suggests that it could be my top choice very soon. But of course I don't really know...need to spend more time in both places before making up my mind on that.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM

138 posts, read 76,007 times
I think Cincinnati ranks pretty well for most of these attributes except for crime/safety, where Louisville would rank the highest. Granted, I know Cincinnati better than the other cities, but I would think with its corporate offices the job market wouldn't be too shabby, the parks make it great for outdoor recreation, it has a couple of good universities, and I could see it doing well in the high culture department also. I don't think Indianapolis has the most thriving restaurant scene, seems to have a lot more Steak n' Shakes than anything else. Now, in terms of local character, none of these cities are outstanding. Indiana has the worst drivers, Cincinnati has some of its super-wealthy upper-class snobs, and Louisville has its posers and rednecks. That said, I think Cincinnati easily has the strongest dating scene of the three cities.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 AM

561 posts, read 798,080 times
Cincy seems to be the best overall. It has the best feel of a true legacy city to me.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Cincy seems to be the best overall. It has the best feel of a true legacy city to me.
Cincinnati has some nice projects going on, nothing like Louisville, but decent. If they could ever replace the highways though, the potholes are annoying.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:33 AM

55 posts, read 55,908 times
Been to all 3, Cincinnati by far.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,574,299 times
Restaurants and Bars: Hard to say. I would tend to venture that Louisville is a better place for cocktails, bourbon, etc. where Cincinnati, with the massive German population (world's 2nd largest Oktoberfest), taking the edge on beer. Food? I don't know... I tend to think any reasonably sized city has plenty of good food options, so I think what were talking more about here, are unique local dishes, and the venues in which to eat. For that, while I don't think Indy fares poorly, I think Cincinnati and Louisville are both a leg ahead. Perhaps Cincinnati overall, though there isn't much separation. Indy is most diverse (as a Foreign Born %) so it may win ethnic options overall, but who knows.
High Culture: Cincinnati. Indianapolis a CLOSE 2nd. Both are quite good for their size and go back/forth based on genre.
Popular Culture (Sports and Music): Which one? Sports? It's Cincinnati. Music? I would say it's probably Louisville, though I'm not completely sure. Kentucky Derby & Indy 500 are unique for the other two, but don't happen all the time. In Cincy, there's always one relatively major sport happening (Reds April to Sept, Bengals Sept to Dec, UC/Xavier Nov to March)
Outdoor Recreation: None of the 3 have a MAJOR body of water nearby, though Indy is closest to one (Indiana Dunes on Lake Michigan @ 2.5). Louisville is the closest to a National Park/Unique Feature (Mammoth Cave). Both Louisville/Indianapolis have decent topography spread between them, as does Cincinnati to it's South and East. I'm gonna have to go with Cincinnati though, because it's the closest distance to more impressive mountain scenery (Louisville not much further but still), and the beautiful topography and parks/forest immediately surrounding it. Not a huge spread here though, esp. between Cincy and Louisville.
Economy/Jobs: Dunno. Louisville's is smaller than the other two. Indianapolis and Cincinnati are comparable (stronger than each other in different industries), though Indianapolis has the highest overall GDP, so maybe there.
Health/Safety/Crime: Also dunno, plenty of places to be healthy and safe in all 3 though.
Education: No one seems firmly ahead of the pack here.
Architecture: Cincinnati
Local Character: All 3 have local character to be proud of in their own ways.

I would most likely go with Cincinnati. I like it's natural and urban setting and general additional amenities the best out of the 3.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,296,853 times
I'm a Louisville homer, and love it to the core.

But I'm surprised Indianapolis isn't getting more love. From a job market standpoint, it's night&day better. The tech market is on the rise majorly and is bringing in ALOT of money making tech companies & employees . Plus it's still a very affordable area overall.

That being said, I'll take Louisville anyway, over Indianapolis & Cincinnati

Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,574,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I'm a Louisville homer, and love it to the core.

But I'm surprised Indianapolis isn't getting more love. From a job market standpoint, it's night&day better. The tech market is on the rise majorly and is bringing in ALOT of money making tech companies & employees . Plus it's still a very affordable area overall.

That being said, I'll take Louisville anyway, over Indianapolis & Cincinnati
People (at least on polls on here) seem to be less likely to pick places based upon job market, and more likely based upon things to do, environs, etc. which makes sense. Most people on here aren't imminently planning to move to either of these 3 (if the question was asked that way, the results would be way different).

I actually happen to think Indianapolis is a really cool, underrated Midwestern city, and that people that skip out on it are missing out. It has the things you said, plus underrated topography and cool towns in the southern exurbs (Columbus, Bloomington, and has great proximity to Chicago and one of the most beautiful spots of Lake Michigan. Also, it's downtown is built almost a bit like DC on a smaller scale with all the monuments and parks everywhere, plus it has made itself very bicycle friendly.

That being said, I think the general consensus of voters is that it's not on the water, it's relatively flat, and it doesn't have as historic or distinct a culture/cityscape as the other two. That may be wrong, but that's why the results are flowing the way they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or