U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 PM

2,782 posts, read 1,465,656 times

Advertisements

SF is a thief! It steals from San Jose as high tech center of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,922,714 times
1. SF Bay Area
2. Seattle/Bellevue

All others are distant #3 and beyond. Baltimore? Huh?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 AM

20,111 posts, read 21,729,745 times
If anyone's confused at the rankings, then it makes sense to take a look at the methodology. The rankings are by metro and are based on the percentage of open job postings that are tech jobs. For NYC, LA, and Chicago, all of which have large tech companies and jobs, the percentage is likely not as high because there are so many other major industries and tech makes a smaller proportion of the mix even if there are much larger absolute amounts of tech job openings and the overall tech sector is in absolute terms likely to be larger than severa of the metros that did make the list.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,014,636 times
Sure it makes sense given what they did. But it's not the "biggest tech hubs" by any more comprehensive measure.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 PM

262 posts, read 198,174 times
Philly life sciences companies this week raised $1.1 billion in capital . At least 4 gene therapies are expected to be approved by the FDA before the end of 2017 . These will be the first approved gene therapies in the U.S. . This year JLL report on Bio Science Hubs bumped Philadelphia to the 5th spot on this years ranking of Life Science Hubs and U.S. News and World Report named two Philly hospitals on their Honor Roll list .
Robotics is another high tech hub in Philly, currently their are 4 robotic labs in University City and Drexel University is one of the leading research centers for cyber security . So I thinking why is Philly not included on the this list ?
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/new...d844d3e6e.html

Just want to add this after 5 days the modified T-4 cells destroyed over 2.5 lbs of malignant bone marrow cells .

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 08-11-2017 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: added remark after posting .

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,014,636 times
Many "tech" lists omit biotech entirely.

Many also omit academic programs entirely. Some omit non-profit institutions also. Leaving only for-profit companies.

It's all about what's included and what's not.

In my region some people include aviation, which is overkill I think. But when they skip aviation they typically skip our thousands of aviation/avionics engineers too. Lists are often not nuanced enough to split companies apart like that.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,407,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If anyone's confused at the rankings, then it makes sense to take a look at the methodology. The rankings are by metro and are based on the percentage of open job postings that are tech jobs. For NYC, LA, and Chicago, all of which have large tech companies and jobs, the percentage is likely not as high because there are so many other major industries and tech makes a smaller proportion of the mix even if there are much larger absolute amounts of tech job openings and the overall tech sector is in absolute terms likely to be larger than severa of the metros that did make the list.
I still think it's weird. I mean, DC has a great tech scene, I was once offered a job there myself, but No. 2 when the city is dominated by government and government-related jobs? If New York's financial industry knocks it out of contention, why isn't DC disqualified by the federal government? And Baltimore at No. 3?! This is true: I work in the tech world and working with vendors is my specialty. I've worked with companies from all over the country and I've met with even more without actually doing business with them. Hundreds of companies. I can't recall a single one that was based in Baltimore, not ever. Not even, like, at a convention or something.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 PM

20,111 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I still think it's weird. I mean, DC has a great tech scene, I was once offered a job there myself, but No. 2 when the city is dominated by government and government-related jobs? If New York's financial industry knocks it out of contention, why isn't DC disqualified by the federal government? And Baltimore at No. 3?! This is true: I work in the tech world and working with vendors is my specialty. I've worked with companies from all over the country and I've met with even more without actually doing business with them. Hundreds of companies. I can't recall a single one that was based in Baltimore, not ever. Not even, like, at a convention or something.
I think it's because government and tech are not mutually exclusive. One is an employment source and the other is skill sector. For Baltimore, a lot of that makes sense in that it's a metro area--which includes a large part of federal jobs or affiliated jobs for the government or agencies that work with the government. It does not have to be in Baltimore proper at all even though some federal agencies are located within Baltimore city. I know several people who ostensibly worked in tech, but ended up in a "tech" arm of a federal agency or one that did business with the government. I'm pretty sure the stats include government agencies and things like Lockheed Martin, BAE, Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, and the like. Those are all tech companies even if they aren't directly consumer facing unless you're talking about a missile in the face.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-11-2017 at 11:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,407,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's because government and tech are not mutually exclusive. One is an employment source and the other is skill sector. For Baltimore, a lot of that makes sense in that it's a metro area--which includes a large part of federal jobs or affiliated jobs for the government or agencies that work with the government. It does not have to be in Baltimore proper at all even though some federal agencies are located within Baltimore city. I know several people who ostensibly worked in tech, but ended up in a "tech" arm of a federal agency or one that did business with the government. I'm pretty sure the stats include government agencies and things like Lockheed Martin, BAE, Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, and the like. Those are all tech companies even if they aren't directly consumer facing unless you're talking about a missile in the face.
Interesting points. Yes, those are all the types of businesses that could be considered tech but that I'd never work with in my industry.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:38 PM

61 posts, read 31,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Philly life sciences companies this week raised $1.1 billion in capital . At least 4 gene therapies are expected to be approved by the FDA before the end of 2017 . These will be the first approved gene therapies in the U.S. . This year JLL report on Bio Science Hubs bumped Philadelphia to the 5th spot on this years ranking of Life Science Hubs and U.S. News and World Report named two Philly hospitals on their Honor Roll list .
Robotics is another high tech hub in Philly, currently their are 4 robotic labs in University City and Drexel University is one of the leading research centers for cyber security . So I thinking why is Philly not included on the this list ?
First gene therapy on the cusp of FDA approval | News | santafenewmexican.com

Just want to add this after 5 days the modified T-4 cells destroyed over 2.5 lbs of malignant bone marrow cells .

Philadelphia will own immunotherapy/gene therapy. That's their thing, and it's the future of treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City