U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 107 50.23%
Chicago Winters 106 49.77%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:35 AM

5,298 posts, read 7,253,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Here in Houston a couple weeks ago, it was in the upper 90s with a heat index in the upper 100s (similar to Dallas summers). I could not stand in direct sunlight for more than a few minutes when I was cleaning my pool and felt more exhausted than usual. I think lack of clouds may have contributed to the excessive heat.

Right now, it's not as hot (now in the mid 90s with a heat index close to 100) and the clouds shield the sun for a few minutes at a time. That's probably why I prefer Houston weather over Dallas weather.

To a San Franciscan, 80s is a heat wave. It stays around 68 degrees year-round. The temperature differences between the coast and the inland areas in the summer causes inversions, notably the cold and fog that makes the city famous to summer tourists.

In California, the coasts will stay around 70 during the summer and progressively get hotter as you get further inland and the mountains blocking the coastal winds. The coastal side of the mountain range will be low 60s-mid 70s while the opposite side is desert in the 90s-100s.
I get that but San Fransiscoís weather is the minority. Most cities in America donít have an anemic summer like SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM

8,384 posts, read 8,499,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Chicago has plenty of lakes, including that giant thing to the east, and a swimming season, so I really don't understand that statement.
Dallas also has no mountains for winter sports.
The winter is just too harsh. Summer, I wasnít talking about. Summer is ok, although it may be more humid in Chicago than Dallas.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:56 AM

Geographically speaking, the only major difference is that Chicago is on massive lake. I believe both Dallas and Chicago are classified to be on a prairie.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-05-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM

798 posts, read 377,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Geographically speaking, the only major difference is that Chicago is on massive lake. I believe both Dallas and Chicago are classified to be on a prairie.
Close poll. One vote difference. I'll take Dallas summers here, easily.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Houston is worse than Dallas in summer. The humidity is nasty!
Depends on you. I like the humidity in general because dry weather dries my skin out, and I grew up in humidity, so its what I'm used to. I always hated the heat waves out west in Vegas and (non-coastal) LA with the dry heat and wind - it felt like walking through a giant hair dryer.

Also, Dallas is pretty humid in the summer, way moreso than places like Vegas or Phoenix but definitely not on Houston's level. More like Atlanta.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:02 PM

4,563 posts, read 8,652,121 times
Quote:
I get that but San Fransiscoís weather is the minority. Most cities in America donít have an anemic summer like SF.
I try to spend my summers in Coastal California. A S.F. summer vacation is a refreshing relief to the unrelenting Texas heat. I'm surprised President Bush keeps spending time in Kennebunkport when it can potentially get hot. I think I should share my secret with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Depends on you. I like the humidity in general because dry weather dries my skin out, and I grew up in humidity, so its what I'm used to. I always hated the heat waves out west in Vegas and (non-coastal) LA with the dry heat and wind - it felt like walking through a giant hair dryer.

Also, Dallas is pretty humid in the summer, way moreso than places like Vegas or Phoenix but definitely not on Houston's level. More like Atlanta.
Westerners would find Dallas to be humid by their standards. I prefer Coastal L.A. because of the slight humidity and perfect temperatures. I would otherwise prune up further inland, even in Vegas during the winter, due to the dryness.

Humidity is not the culprit--it's the temperature. The lack of clouds (such as my experience of Houston having a taste of Dallas summers due to the dry side of Alberto a couple weeks ago) make direct sunlight intolerable at 100s. I could barely walk back and forth to my car in the store parking lot with the high temperatures and lack of clouds. I could only stand outside for 1 to 2 minutes and was drained, as if I was back in Palm Springs Walmart parking lot (with the black asphalt making it worse). Now that temps are back to normal in Houston, I can stand outside for 5 minutes and not be drained--plenty of time to go in and out of my car and cool it down when I leave.

I can appreciate Chicago winters, you can bundle up and still feel warm. It's easy to create heat with a log fire. No one has been found frozen in a cold car after a few minutes. (Sadly there was another hot car death on the Houston TV news yesterday.) The Loop is still lively even if there are a couple of inches of snow on the sidewalk. The Dells become a winter wonderland (and it's waterparks galore in the summer).

Old 06-05-2018, 02:45 PM

5,430 posts, read 2,909,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Ppl walk they dogs in blizzards?? Lol ok.
Yea... cuz every day there's a blizzard in Chicago? Thats like saying the deep south constantly gets hurricanes in summer and fall.

I live in Minnesota. I've seen dudes bike ride in 5 degree weather.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM

5,430 posts, read 2,909,159 times
Quote:
Dallas is hot during the summer but itís not relentless heat everyday. There are some breaks in-between. For Example: Saturday the high temp was 101 (in Dallas) with a feels like temp of 110. Today, itís cloudy (with rain showers) and itís 81 degrees. Yes, the heat will be back later this week but itís not nonstop heat...

Summer just started, bro. Its barely even June let alone July. Granted, there are breaks but a break in June doesn't count because A. Its the beginning of the season. B. Its the coolest summer month anyway.

I mean... back in early December we had one night where it was 55 degrees and humid at midnight. Doesn't mean we don't have harsh winters. On New Years Eve it was -15 as a low lol.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Summer just started, bro. Its barely even June let alone July. Granted, there are breaks but a break in June doesn't count because A. Its the beginning of the season. B. Its the coolest summer month anyway.

I mean... back in early December we had one night where it was 55 degrees and humid at midnight. Doesn't mean we don't have harsh winters. On New Years Eve it was -15 as a low lol.
That temp was very, very hot even for Dallas. It is NOT normal for us to see temps that high in late May/early June. We just had the 2nd hottest May on record. We are suppose to see first triple digit day in July...not late May.

It wasn’t officially 100 at DFW Airport, we still (technically) haven’t hit 100 degrees yet. We did hit 100 at Love Field though. This heat is so unusual, they called it a heat wave...I haven’t heard that term in Dallas in years.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

I admire those of you with thick blood that can handle that type of weather. Even DC winters killed me, and according to the entire eastern and northern parts of the country, DC winters aren't THAT bad.

Chicago just seems like frozen hell in the winter. I still remember standing on an elevated train platform at 5 am in -2 degree weather (and a nice breeze) trying to catch a flight out. The first train was delayed and the heater was broken. I think thats the most cold ive ever been in my life.

Ironically, its also my favorite city in the country in the summer, but the summer is just too short there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City