U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 107 50.23%
Chicago Winters 106 49.77%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,001,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
91 without sun isnít a big deal, is it? Thereís nothing a 91 nighttime temp would hold me back from, this is the reason we have lights for hiking, biking in the summer months. One of the best ways to see the trails and mountain preserves here in Phoenix from a whole different perspective.
The sun is really the worst part of it, especially in the afternoon. It may still be hot and a little muggy a night, but I find it manageable enough to be outside. Mornings aren't too bad either -- 80s typically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:42 PM

30 posts, read 18,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Nope, there are quite a few summer days of rain/cloud in Dallas where afternoon temps are held down to 80s, even 70s.
Last summer it was 90+ every day in Dallas from July 2 to August 24 with the exception of one day. Thats a period of 54 days !! You will never see Chicago stay cold in the winter for 54 days. Winters in Chicago vary more day to day than Dallas does in summer.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,001,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think 91 with 20% humidity is different than 90 with 60% humidity. I like the desert night.
It's often 40% humidity, like this evening for example. It's still hot, but not always a sauna.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,045,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas3718 View Post
Last summer it was 90+ every day in Dallas from July 2 to August 24 with the exception of one day. Thats a period of 54 days !!
There's more to it than just looking at a high temperature, however. You also need to consider how long that high temperature lasted, as that can lead to important implications regarding the comfort of the day. There's a major difference between a day that reaches 95F and stays at that temp, compared to a day that reaches that 95F only for a split second, before cooler temps arrive.

Summer days with rain in Dallas fall into the latter category. Things can heat up quite a bit in morning and early afternoon, causing temps to hit the 90s. But once the storms form, temps can then drop down to the 80s, and stay in that range. An example of such a day within the range you listed:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

Quote:
You will never see Chicago stay cold in the winter for 54 days. Winters in Chicago vary more day to day than Dallas does in summer.
Strongly depends on what you consider "cold."

Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,123,230 times
Quote:
Last summer it was 90+ every day in Dallas from July 2 to August 24 with the exception of one day. Thats a period of 54 days !! You will never see Chicago stay cold in the winter for 54 days. Winters in Chicago vary more day to day than Dallas does in summer.
What people consider "cold" in Chicago will be different than what people in Texas consider "cold".

Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 PM

156 posts, read 118,732 times
Quote:
Dallas has much more vibrancy during summer than it does in winter. And it's winters are way milder than Chicago's. That's pretty telling of how much easier hot summers are to deal with than cold winters:
https://www.nctcog.org/trans/sustdev...eport_2015.pdf
Maybe but I'll venture to say Chicago's winters are more vibrant then Dallas's summers so what does that tell you.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
One difference is that the summers in Dallas offer no relief from the heat. It's constantly 90+ for months with no break. In Chicago, there are times when it warms to the 50s in the winter so you get a break occasionally. Sometimes it can even get into the 60s in winter.
Alot of people who don't live here don't believe this but it's true.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,070,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
What people consider "cold" in Chicago will be different than what people in Texas consider "cold".
Yep, you get acclimated to hotter or colder weather. Why a Northerner in winter can go to Florida and sunny in the 60s locals are saying fagetaboutit ... es mucho Frio.... for the beach today that is .... but the Northerner says .... sunny and 60s no problema for them ..... they say and off to the beach they go.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So I posted earlier last night that it was still 90+ at like 9 pm in Dallas. It is currently 9:47 and the heat index is already 91. Yes, it can get hot in Denver, but right now it is 63 degrees. It's an all day hot in parts of Texas.
Holy crap is this true? Lol man I can't handle that heat that long, I went to Dallas few times in Summer, honestly it was mesrible heat, I felt like the life was being sucked out of me, I'll take my freezing temps, I enjoy coming home staying warm, eating hot meals, covering up in lots of blankets, ect

Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,070,888 times
This poll ends in 2023. Any bets it still will be a tie then too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why do people think it’s constantly hot? Where are y’all getting this info from?
Doesn't say Dallas but the first few words say something.
Do like the song and Country music in general .... y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Op0bQfMoo

Good song for this ....y’all.
Quote:
Perfect for margaritas and patio decks.
Cheers y’all

Last edited by DavePa; 07-18-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City