Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 119 50.64%
Chicago Winters 116 49.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:05 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,070,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
In response to other posters: Minneapolis is colder than Chicago, but the difference is only approximately 10 degrees. Also, Chicago summers are significantly cooler than Dallas, usually by about 10 degrees. The average summer highs in Chicago peak in the low to mid 80s, with lows in the mid to upper 60s.
Why is ten degrees significant in the latter but played down in the former?

Anyway, I prefer Dallas summers, probably because I am used to them. Like people say, put on more layers in the cold. Well, in the heat, you can open an umbrella, which I do do sometimes. While it is not fun to be outside in either situation, Dallas' heat is more convenient. It is annoying to wake up and have to scrape ice off your car or wait for it to warm up. Never really had issues with cars in DFW because of the heat or humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 02:42 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,207,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yeah, but in summer it becomes this ....... City deserves its due....
It has a Shoreline Dallas doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

with Lake Michigan crystal blue waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXAFPQoLAs

with thousands of boats and holiday boat parties .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOFve0RuMI

Harbors and beaches with a Amusement Pier... Navy Pier downtown
and Parks filled with tourist, locals and free concerts and festivals.
Biggest attraction in the Midwest....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8p-lvdSck

DOG its Winters all you want .....

Old 08-06-2017, 08:11 AM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,218,865 times
Chicago winters.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 AM

3,623 posts, read 4,453,409 times
I absolutely hate the heat and especially heat with humidity. Anything over 90 on a regular basis is just no good for me. I hate breaking into a sweat just walking from the office to the car and getting into an oven to drive hone where sht actually burns your hands. Nooooo.

Winter and snow I like. I would love to go outside at 2PM and it's 5* with snow piled up. Can always bundle up and put on layers...cant shed enough clothing in Dallas without breaking laws as Well! Can't just jump in a pool if no pol is around you.

2 years ago I had a car that had no a/c. In durham. That was an awful, awful summer.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 AM

52 posts, read 132,496 times
I spent two winters north of Chicago when I was in the Navy. When it came time to get orders to my next duty station, all I wanted was someplace warm. My experiences might be different from the average. I was there during this time: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...day-in-history

Old 08-06-2017, 08:53 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,385,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator545 View Post
As I always say, "You can always put on more layers if you're cold, but you can't rip your skin off if you're hot."

Jokes aside, I'll take a cold snowy winter over a hot and humid summer, although I prefer seasonality in general to keep things interesting. As an outdoors person, I've always enjoyed the tranquility that winters give to the environment, and I don't just mean in the countryside. With more people staying indoors and the white snow on the ground, there's a certain peace that can be achieved even in dense urban cores that I really appreciate.
Yes! There's the peace, but there is always the excitement of the first snow, people of all ages running outside to watch it fall. These are memories. Great memories.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,385,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I absolutely hate the heat and especially heat with humidity. Anything over 90 on a regular basis is just no good for me. I hate breaking into a sweat just walking from the office to the car and getting into an oven to drive hone where sht actually burns your hands. Nooooo.

Winter and snow I like. I would love to go outside at 2PM and it's 5* with snow piled up. Can always bundle up and put on layers...cant shed enough clothing in Dallas without breaking laws as Well! Can't just jump in a pool if no pol is around you.

2 years ago I had a car that had no a/c. In durham. That was an awful, awful summer.
And stripping off clothes doesn't necessarily help. The sun just burns you faster. It's still hot. And you were in Durham, it gets much hotter in Texas.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:00 AM

8,592 posts, read 14,767,027 times
Both suck to be sure. With that being said I tolerate colder temps better than ridiculous heat & humidity, I've already lived in DFW, and I have zero desire to ever return to Texas so give me a Chicago winter. When the weather isn't lousy Chicago's more scenic and it blows Dallas's doors off in terms of urbanity.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 AM

157 posts, read 185,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhakeNews View Post
Both are unbearable but If i had to suffer through one I'd choose Dallas summers. Prefer Chicago summer over Dallas winters though
This. Far prefer Chicago's sping-summer-fall to Dallas's fall-winter-spring.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:24 AM

3,551 posts, read 3,023,124 times
Dallas summer heat is relentless, with rarely a break between May and October. Chicago winters have several "thaws" that occur during the season where temperatures rise above freezing.

Many people in Dallas consider 50 degrees is "cold" while many in Chicago consider 80 degrees "hot."

Some people's brains and bodies are wired differently.

My biggest shock in Dallas was thinking I could "cool off" in a pool on a 100+ degree day - I did not consider that the pool water was above 90 degrees.

I also do not like sweating thru my clothes if I am outdoors for more than 20 steps (night or day).

My biggest outdoor problem in the winter up north is putting on too many clothes and sweating underneath, but that's easy to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City