U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 107 50.23%
Chicago Winters 106 49.77%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2017, 04:25 PM

5,275 posts, read 7,204,354 times

Advertisements

Humidity is nothing new in Dallas...since Dallas does have a humid subtropical climate. But when the temps gets closer to 100 the dew point does drop a bit but the higher humidity returns at night. Summertime lows are often muggy with temps in the upper 70s to low 80s.

Remember, high moisture in the air makes it harder for temperatures to reach 100 degrees.

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-06-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 04:29 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,763,475 times
I have lived in both cities (currently in Chicago). I just moved back to Chicago five months ago from Dallas after not living here for several years so I know getting readjusted to the winters is going to be brutal, but I just didn't enjoy Dallas summers at all. Too hot to enjoy or do anything and no beaches in close proximity.

Chicago's summer this year is the mildest I remember ever experiencing but at least on 90 degree days we have the beach. Dallas doesn't have that. I guess I'd say that I don't like Dallas' summers or Chicago's winters but I am willing to tolerate winter in Chicago because it is a much more fun and exciting city and is more convenient than Dallas.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:33 PM

5,275 posts, read 7,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think you also underestimate the unrelenting powerful sun angle at 32N latitude in Dallas. That sun will wear most northerners down fast, meaning it makes the 100F in July feel like 120F in direct sunlight.
Yep, you're right! The weatherman in Dallas makes that a point in the summer.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:38 AM

3,944 posts, read 2,345,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When Dallas gets hot, it typically blows in from the Southwest deserts. When we do get some humidity in the Summer, that's what typically comes from the Gulf. For the most part though, Summers tend to be sunny and not too humid.
Man, Dallas sounds just like San Diego or LA, regarding weather.

WEst Texas and the Panhandle are tolerable, but all of the major cities in Texas are intensely hot in the summer. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 AM

172 posts, read 76,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Why is ten degrees significant in the latter but played down in the former?

Anyway, I prefer Dallas summers, probably because I am used to them. Like people say, put on more layers in the cold. Well, in the heat, you can open an umbrella, which I do do sometimes. While it is not fun to be outside in either situation, Dallas' heat is more convenient. It is annoying to wake up and have to scrape ice off your car or wait for it to warm up. Never really had issues with cars in DFW because of the heat or humidity.
There are two reasons:
1. I was responding to previous posters, one of which said Minneapolis was 15-20 degrees colder in winter than Chicago, while in reality it is only 10 degrees. The other poster said Dallas and Chicago summers are virtually identical, but they are actually 10 degrees different. Therefore my reactions were in response to other's posts.
2. Although they are both 10 degrees apart, 18 in Chicago and 8 in Minneapolis feel much more similar than 85 in Chicago and 95 in Dallas. This is partially due to the high winter wind speeds in Chicago. There is also a point for most people where the temperature is so extreme that even more extreme temperatures seem nearly identical to them. 18 is at this point for many people, while 85 is not usually extreme enough for this phenomenon.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:44 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Lived in Dallas and Chicago previously.

Dallas summers are more tolerable hands down, at least for me.

Months on end of pure cold isnt for me. I also hated the grey and the darkness that accompanies the winters in Chicago. Dallas winters were a piece of cake compared to that.

Dallas summers arent all that humid. They are humid compared to LA but dry compared to Houston (where I am now).

For me, I would rather have hot, humid weather 365 days a year than shovel snow once. The last few days in Houston have been some of the most humid Ive ever experienced in my life anywhere! This morning, all my windows on my house were fogged up. Its annoying but again, Id rather that for 365 days a year than one day in snow.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM

1,798 posts, read 979,949 times
Dallas summers are not even the worst in the country so you have your answer.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM

156 posts, read 118,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Lived in Dallas and Chicago previously.

Dallas summers are more tolerable hands down, at least for me.

Months on end of pure cold isnt for me. I also hated the grey and the darkness that accompanies the winters in Chicago. Dallas winters were a piece of cake compared to that.

Dallas summers arent all that humid. They are humid compared to LA but dry compared to Houston (where I am now).

For me, I would rather have hot, humid weather 365 days a year than shovel snow once. The last few days in Houston have been some of the most humid Ive ever experienced in my life anywhere! This morning, all my windows on my house were fogged up. Its annoying but again, Id rather that for 365 days a year than one day in snow.
Damn that's sounds terrible lol

Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
Damn that's sounds terrible lol
You gotta pick your poison. Some people would rather have the cold and others like me prefer the heat.

People say "well go to Southern California", well sky high COL is a poison too!

Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM

1,419 posts, read 680,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
You gotta pick your poison. Some people would rather have the cold and others like me prefer the heat.

People say "well go to Southern California", well sky high COL is a poison too!
People who live in Chicago, wouldn't, necessarily, "rather have the cold" as you stated. The rest of the year is so beautiful, a couple months of cold, isn't so bad. It's not cold all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City