U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 107 50.23%
Chicago Winters 106 49.77%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM

125 posts, read 49,791 times

Advertisements

As a northerner, it has always been my belief that summers are to be enjoyed and to be spent with plenty of time outdoors. It's the season when everything is alive and the days are long. Who wants to spend 3/4 of their summer day hiding from the sun and heat in AC? As brutal as a Chicago winter can get, that's where my vote went. It just makes the stellar summer all the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:21 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,152,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Among major cities, who is worse? Houston? New Orleans?
Houston is worse than Dallas. Visiting Houston is what convinced me to stop complaining about Summer here in Phoenix.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,335,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Houston is worse than Dallas. Visiting Houston is what convinced me to stop complaining about Summer here in Phoenix.
Lived in CC which I suspect is pretty similar to Houston. Could not run at all. It was windy and the air was so thick. It was like running into a blowdryer.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,390,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lived in CC which I suspect is pretty similar to Houston. Could not run at all. It was windy and the air was so thick. It was like running into a blowdryer.
Corpus is worse than Houston in summer

Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM

5,049 posts, read 5,978,831 times
As a Chicagoan, I have to say that many days in winter are perfectly comfortable and the weather hardly keeps us inside. On many winter days, I leave home in a light jacket and it works just fine.

I realize this is subjective, but it always amazes me how much people make out of how bad our winters are. A good percent of them are surprisingly mild, many years (such as last) snow has been negligible.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:57 PM

1,851 posts, read 814,183 times
I've lived in Dallas 7 years and I would absolutely take Chicago's weather.

I generally dread summer instead of looking forward to being outside.

If it is cold you can always put more cloths on. In Dallas you can't, nor is "Just hopping in the pool" and option most of the time. I spend my days going in and out of my car and into various mechanical rooms and the heat is absolutely miserable.

The problem with Dallas summers is they seriously limit the amount of things you can do outside. Trying to golf when it is 100 degrees outside is miserable, so is hiking, biking or any other outdoors activity or sport you might want to play except for swimming. There is a reason they issue heat advisories.

The problem with Dallas winters is that they get chilly but not cold enough for winter sports. Again, not ideal weather for most summer outdoors activities but too warm to go ice skating or ski or any winter sports.

Dallas basically has a few weeks a year that are a consistent pleasant temperature.

Chicago has beautiful summers.

Chicago has cold winters like any northern city, but at least for me, it is much easier to dress a little warmer and stay active than it is to crawl sluggishly along while I melt.

If there was one thing I could change about Dallas it is the brutal long summers, but hey at least Dallas isn't as humid as Houston.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,119,502 times
Dallas has a lot of nice days in the Spring, Fall and even during the winter when it's sunny and in the 70s and 80s. Yes, it gets chilly, but there's a lot more to Winter weather than just temperature.The snow in Chicago is enough to keep me away. There are many more days below 50 degrees there throughout the year. That's just too cold for me.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM
sub

500 posts, read 260,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I've lived in Dallas 7 years and I would absolutely take Chicago's weather.

I generally dread summer instead of looking forward to being outside.

If it is cold you can always put more cloths on. In Dallas you can't, nor is "Just hopping in the pool" and option most of the time. I spend my days going in and out of my car and into various mechanical rooms and the heat is absolutely miserable.

The problem with Dallas summers is they seriously limit the amount of things you can do outside. Trying to golf when it is 100 degrees outside is miserable, so is hiking, biking or any other outdoors activity or sport you might want to play except for swimming. There is a reason they issue heat advisories.

The problem with Dallas winters is that they get chilly but not cold enough for winter sports. Again, not ideal weather for most summer outdoors activities but too warm to go ice skating or ski or any winter sports.

Dallas basically has a few weeks a year that are a consistent pleasant temperature.

Chicago has beautiful summers.

Chicago has cold winters like any northern city, but at least for me, it is much easier to dress a little warmer and stay active than it is to crawl sluggishly along while I melt.

If there was one thing I could change about Dallas it is the brutal long summers, but hey at least Dallas isn't as humid as Houston.
Agreed.
I've lived near both of these, and you'll typically see FAR more people outside much of the year in the Chicago area than you will in Dallas.
Funny how people move down south to get away from snow but then rarely go outside once they're there. Sipping sweet tea on the patio year 'round is one thing. Being active ia another. I prefer active.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:58 PM

5,268 posts, read 7,197,397 times
As a Dallas native, I love the weather except summertime. Many people who've grown up here feel the same way. I can say that I'm more accumulated to the heat unlike people from cooler climates...which makes it not as bad (I guess). I can take the heat but when it gets to the upper 90s to 100 or greater consecutively, that's when I tap out. Sadly, during the summer I'm a vampire. I don't come out until the Sun goes down. It's just too hot to do anything outdoors.

As of right now, it's 99 degrees with a heat index of 107.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 984,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed.
I've lived near both of these, and you'll typically see FAR more people outside much of the year in the Chicago area than you will in Dallas.
Funny how people move down south to get away from snow but then rarely go outside once they're there. Sipping sweet tea on the patio year 'round is one thing. Being active ia another. I prefer active.
Snow has other impacts. Like I mentioned earlier, and the largest reason I picked Dallas Summers, is that northern winters with their snow is very impractical, on top of just being uncomfortable. It is annoying waking up to ice and snow on your car, especially if you are going somewhere important like work or school, and the weather (and the measures used against it) also does a lot of damage to the roads, which then does damage to your car. I mean, yes, Chicago is much more walkable than DFW, but I would still prefer to drive, especially if it is winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City