Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 119 50.64%
Chicago Winters 116 49.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The high temp in Dallas tomorrow will be 86, Tuesday 85 and Wednesday 89. It's not always 105 degrees here. I think people think the Summers here are like Phoenix or Las Vegas. We aren't in the desert.
Unlike Phoenix or Las Vegas it is not a dry heat.

Today in Dallas it is currently 97 degrees, and feels like 108 degrees. Tomorrow is high 87 low 75 only due to severe thunderstorms, with 1.5 inches of rain predicted. Usually thunderstorms are interspersed with sunshine. When the sun comes out after summer rain, the steam rises off the streets. Moisture condenses on every cool surface, especially your skin when you leave your air conditioned car or building. Forget about wearing glasses outdoors.

(I will take a Chicago winter over Phoenix or Las Vegas weather also, I'm not picking on Dallas specifically, just summer heat)

But, Dallas is also in Tornado Alley, and has seen about 100 tornadoes in the last 60 years. Ironically, the worst Chicago weather disaster was not in winter but a summer heat wave in 1995 that killed over 700 (fyi Chicago temps were about the same as average Dallas temps during the heat wave).

Last edited by RocketSci; 08-06-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Unlike Phoenix or Las Vegas it is not a dry heat.

Today in Dallas it is currently 97 degrees, and feels like 108 degrees. Tomorrow is high 87 low 75 only due to severe thunderstorms, with 1.5 inches of rain predicted. Usually thunderstorms are interspersed with sunshine. When the sun comes out after summer rain, the steam rises off the streets. Moisture condenses on every cool surface, especially your skin when you leave your air conditioned car or building. Forget about wearing glasses outdoors.

(I will take a Chicago winter over Phoenix or Las Vegas weather also, I'm not picking on Dallas specifically, just summer heat)

But, Dallas is also in Tornado Alley, and has seen about 100 tornadoes in the last 60 years. Ironically, the worst Chicago weather disaster was not in winter but a summer heat wave in 1995 that killed over 700 (fyi Chicago temps were about the same as average Dallas temps during the heat wave).
The south is just incredibly muggy after a rain. So uncomfortable.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:20 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
This summer has been a bit unusual with the amount of frequent rain we've been having. It feels more humid than usual.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The high temp in Dallas tomorrow will be 86, Tuesday 85 and Wednesday 89. It's not always 105 degrees here. I think people think the Summers here are like Phoenix or Las Vegas. We aren't in the desert.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ies-summer.php

True but Dallas is in the top 5. Texas is just hot.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:48 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Dallas summer's aren't ideal for me, but they are still way easier to deal with than Chicago winters: less expenses required, less time wasted for preparation, less risk of catching disease, not to mention more fruitful to high QOL (agriculture, leisure, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ies-summer.php

True but Dallas is in the top 5. Texas is just hot.
A large part of this may come from just how warm the Gulf is. Even places in tropical Mexico just inland from those waters are averaging temps in the mid 90s, and rainfall isn't low either:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A...C3%A1n#Climate

Old 08-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Dallas summer's aren't ideal for me, but they are still way easier to deal with than Chicago winters: less expenses required, less time wasted for preparation, less risk of catching disease, not to mention more fruitful to high QOL (agriculture, leisure, etc).

A large part of this may come from just how warm the Gulf is. Even places in tropical Mexico just inland from those waters are averaging temps in the mid 90s, and rainfall isn't low either:
Yes, Mexico is hot, I would agree.

And while it's not hot in the winter in most of Texas, it can certainly hit 80 in many Texas cities during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I find this odd as well.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And while it's not hot in the winter in most of Texas, it can certainly hit 80 in many Texas cities during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I find this odd as well.
80F in those times of year is not odd, that's just a matter of low-latitude. You see the same situation in Louisiana and especially Florida.

But what truly is special is that some areas in South Texas can see temperatures in the 90s, even 100s, during winter. That happens during compression heating as winds downslope from the nearby Sierra Madre Oriental ranges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laredo,_Texas#Climate

Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

When Dallas gets hot, it typically blows in from the Southwest deserts. When we do get some humidity in the Summer, that's what typically comes from the Gulf. For the most part though, Summers tend to be sunny and not too humid.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
When Dallas gets hot, it typically blows in from the Southwest deserts. When we do get some humidity in the Summer, that's what typically comes from the Gulf. For the most part though, Summers tend to be sunny and not too humid.
The land mass size + warm Gulf water SSTs cause the South, including Texas, to retain quite hot temperatures, wherein average summer highs are in the 90s. The same goes to parts of Asia.

Meanwhile, on other continents, even in the peak of summer, highs don't go above the mid 80s, even in cities with similar latitude. Because they have waters with cooler SSTs, and are on smaller land-masses:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durban#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Alegre#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffs_Harbour#Climate

Old 08-06-2017, 04:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
This is pretty much like Central Texas as well. When it gets to 99-102, the air was sunny, drier, and tolerable but towards the evening, it becomes uncomfortable and muggy. I would assume Dallas is less humid than Chicago in the Summer but of course, the air temperature is higher in Dallas than it is in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City