Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 72 51.80%
PA 67 48.20%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:59 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
For me, PA is one of those states that you drive straight through to get where you are going.
Philadelphia and its enormous cultural and historic assets? Valley Forge? The Poconos? Amish Country? Pittsburgh? About 15 of the top 100 US colleges and universities according to some recent publication?

But no, nothing to see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg

Try to envision an arch 20 miles from Philly spanning from say Montchanin De to say Princeton NJ.

This setting could be found anywhere along that arch.

My guess is this particular shot is in Bucks County looking towards the Saucon Valley.

Point being this is the pleasant vibe you get from Pa whereas NY can be almost boondockish. I was just up in Suffern , Montebello, Mahwah. What a weird place, like another country, backwoods. Unbelievable.

Did this poll get hacked or what?
Suffern and Montebello are in Rockland County, which is pretty built up, but has some ruralish type of areas. If you go just north of Rockland County into Orange County, you can find similar settings as the picture. Mahwah is in NJ.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
A lot of the resentment comes from a few different sources.

1. The rest of the country makes assumptions of the whole state based solely on NYC. NYC does not have the best reputation with all Americans being known as rude, self absorbed and materialistic. This also deflects attention away from upstate NY's true identities, for example, Agricultural state, Rust Belt, Appalachian, etc.

As somebody who moved from NY to Louisiana I have first hand experienced the assumptions and ignorance of what is NY state. So much so that a woman from Texas literally accused me of making up my rural history.

2. Politics. This is a big one. A lot of upstaters are moderate or conservative and they are utterly silenced by the overwhelming blue from downstate. This also plays into the national assumption of a New Yorker.

3. Cultural divide. With the exception of transplants and travelers, upstate and downstate NY are two very different worlds. A rushing urbanite from NYC can come off as too rude and disrespectful when visiting more small town and laid back parts of NY. Likewise, some upstaters can come off to people from NYC as backwards and borderline redneck.

This doesn't exactly do any favors for the perception of either side, from either side.

Basically, it doesn't have much to do with finances at all. At least not from upstate's perspective.
Everytime I meet somebody from New York , they make sure I understand they are NOT from New York City.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg

Try to envision an arch 20 miles from Philly spanning from say Montchanin De to say Princeton NJ.

This setting could be found anywhere along that arch.

My guess is this particular shot is in Bucks County looking towards the Saucon Valley.

Point being this is the pleasant vibe you get from Pa whereas NY can be almost boondockish. I was just up in Suffern , Montebello, Mahwah. What a weird place, like another country, backwoods. Unbelievable.

Did this poll get hacked or what?
The thing is New York has rolling hills and real Mountains. PA has a couple real mountains but for the most part they are smaller than the Catskills, and dwarfed by the Adirondacks.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The thing is New York has rolling hills and real Mountains. PA has a couple real mountains but for the most part they are smaller than the Catskills, and dwarfed by the Adirondacks.
Pennsylvania's mountain peaks certainly aren't as high as those in NY, which I think everyone has acknowledged.

But in terms of vegetation, which I personally find to be a key element of environment, I think it's important to note that much more of Pennsylvania (approximately 40% of the state [almost all of the bottom half]), is definitely within a mid-Atlantic climate, "humid subtropical," which provides a more lush and longer growing season. The only part of NY that would compare is the NYC metro area.

So combination of a more balanced year-round climate, and being of the hilliest states in the US, is what makes PA a "sweet spot" for fantastic countryside.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-14-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
For me, PA is one of those states that you drive straight through to get where you are going.
Ironic coming from someone from the southern mass/Rhode Island area. Talk about driving straight through to get where your going.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Ironic coming from someone from the southern mass/Rhode Island area. Talk about driving straight through to get where your going.
Right? I know many New Englanders like to think the sun rises and sets on their region, but those of us who've lived elsewhere know better.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Right? I know many New Englanders like to think the sun rises and sets on their region, but those of us who've lived elsewhere know better.
I mean South East mass is not even a drive-by place, its out of the way.

However, the Whites are the best mountains in the Northeast, and most places have fewer lakes than the Northern Tier from Minnesota across to Maine. (even Northern MA). I've been to PA and its basically like New England if the mountains never got bigger than the Berkshires, and fewer natural lakes.

and contrary to what you may believe New England does have day and night like the rest of the country.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I mean South East mass is not even a drive-by place, its out of the way.

However, the Whites are the best mountains in the Northeast, and most places have fewer lakes than the Northern Tier from Minnesota across to Maine. (even Northern MA). I've been to PA and its basically like New England if the mountains never got bigger than the Berkshires, and fewer natural lakes.

and contrary to what you may believe New England does have day and night like the rest of the country.
I was being facetious. I hold New England in high regard (I'd have to to live here), but dismissive attitudes towards places like Pennsylvania, easily one of our nation's most storied and interesting states, and many other places, can be quite petty and eye-roll inducing.

The country, and world, is chock full of beautiful and interesting spots.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island, Parts of PA is drive through state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City