U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 68 54.40%
PA 57 45.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2017, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,023 posts, read 4,002,019 times
Reputation: 1373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
For me, PA is one of those states that you drive straight through to get where you are going.
Philadelphia and its enormous cultural and historic assets? Valley Forge? The Poconos? Amish Country? Pittsburgh? About 15 of the top 100 US colleges and universities according to some recent publication?

But no, nothing to see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 AM
 
52,615 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg

Try to envision an arch 20 miles from Philly spanning from say Montchanin De to say Princeton NJ.

This setting could be found anywhere along that arch.

My guess is this particular shot is in Bucks County looking towards the Saucon Valley.

Point being this is the pleasant vibe you get from Pa whereas NY can be almost boondockish. I was just up in Suffern , Montebello, Mahwah. What a weird place, like another country, backwoods. Unbelievable.

Did this poll get hacked or what?
Suffern and Montebello are in Rockland County, which is pretty built up, but has some ruralish type of areas. If you go just north of Rockland County into Orange County, you can find similar settings as the picture. Mahwah is in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 AM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,563 posts, read 1,729,915 times
Reputation: 4343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
A lot of the resentment comes from a few different sources.

1. The rest of the country makes assumptions of the whole state based solely on NYC. NYC does not have the best reputation with all Americans being known as rude, self absorbed and materialistic. This also deflects attention away from upstate NY's true identities, for example, Agricultural state, Rust Belt, Appalachian, etc.

As somebody who moved from NY to Louisiana I have first hand experienced the assumptions and ignorance of what is NY state. So much so that a woman from Texas literally accused me of making up my rural history.

2. Politics. This is a big one. A lot of upstaters are moderate or conservative and they are utterly silenced by the overwhelming blue from downstate. This also plays into the national assumption of a New Yorker.

3. Cultural divide. With the exception of transplants and travelers, upstate and downstate NY are two very different worlds. A rushing urbanite from NYC can come off as too rude and disrespectful when visiting more small town and laid back parts of NY. Likewise, some upstaters can come off to people from NYC as backwards and borderline redneck.

This doesn't exactly do any favors for the perception of either side, from either side.

Basically, it doesn't have much to do with finances at all. At least not from upstate's perspective.
Everytime I meet somebody from New York , they make sure I understand they are NOT from New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 AM
 
8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg

Try to envision an arch 20 miles from Philly spanning from say Montchanin De to say Princeton NJ.

This setting could be found anywhere along that arch.

My guess is this particular shot is in Bucks County looking towards the Saucon Valley.

Point being this is the pleasant vibe you get from Pa whereas NY can be almost boondockish. I was just up in Suffern , Montebello, Mahwah. What a weird place, like another country, backwoods. Unbelievable.

Did this poll get hacked or what?
The thing is New York has rolling hills and real Mountains. PA has a couple real mountains but for the most part they are smaller than the Catskills, and dwarfed by the Adirondacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Reputation: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The thing is New York has rolling hills and real Mountains. PA has a couple real mountains but for the most part they are smaller than the Catskills, and dwarfed by the Adirondacks.
Pennsylvania's mountain peaks certainly aren't as high as those in NY, which I think everyone has acknowledged.

But in terms of vegetation, which I personally find to be a key element of environment, I think it's important to note that much more of Pennsylvania (approximately 40% of the state [almost all of the bottom half]), is definitely within a mid-Atlantic climate, "humid subtropical," which provides a more lush and longer growing season. The only part of NY that would compare is the NYC metro area.

So combination of a more balanced year-round climate, and being of the hilliest states in the US, is what makes PA a "sweet spot" for fantastic countryside.




Last edited by Duderino; 08-14-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM
 
1,225 posts, read 1,504,761 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
For me, PA is one of those states that you drive straight through to get where you are going.
Ironic coming from someone from the southern mass/Rhode Island area. Talk about driving straight through to get where your going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Reputation: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Ironic coming from someone from the southern mass/Rhode Island area. Talk about driving straight through to get where your going.
Right? I know many New Englanders like to think the sun rises and sets on their region, but those of us who've lived elsewhere know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM
 
8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Right? I know many New Englanders like to think the sun rises and sets on their region, but those of us who've lived elsewhere know better.
I mean South East mass is not even a drive-by place, its out of the way.

However, the Whites are the best mountains in the Northeast, and most places have fewer lakes than the Northern Tier from Minnesota across to Maine. (even Northern MA). I've been to PA and its basically like New England if the mountains never got bigger than the Berkshires, and fewer natural lakes.


and contrary to what you may believe New England does have day and night like the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Reputation: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I mean South East mass is not even a drive-by place, its out of the way.

However, the Whites are the best mountains in the Northeast, and most places have fewer lakes than the Northern Tier from Minnesota across to Maine. (even Northern MA). I've been to PA and its basically like New England if the mountains never got bigger than the Berkshires, and fewer natural lakes.


and contrary to what you may believe New England does have day and night like the rest of the country.
I was being facetious. I hold New England in high regard (I'd have to to live here), but dismissive attitudes towards places like Pennsylvania, easily one of our nation's most storied and interesting states, and many other places, can be quite petty and eye-roll inducing.

The country, and world, is chock full of beautiful and interesting spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,320 posts, read 7,225,131 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Ironic coming from someone from the southern mass/Rhode Island area. Talk about driving straight through to get where your going.
Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island, Parts of PA is drive through state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top