U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 68 54.40%
PA 57 45.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM

52,641 posts, read 75,477,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually there is an island a little north of TMI that has a small replica of the statue of liberty on it

PA has many great aspects but on the whole think NYS is prettier and more diverse

PA lacks a beachfront and nothing matches the finger lakes and Adirondacks IMHO

The Fascinating Truth Behind This Pennsylvania Mystery

some areas were PA has differentiation

Amish country
Better 2nd city
DE water gap
PA Grand Canyon
State College is probably a better land grant state university and town than comparators in NYS
Sesame Place (yes am reaching)

I really like both states but NYS is really a beautiful state (PA is too but edge NYS), not many in the US can compare quite honestly
Just a couple of things...This is called the Grand Canyon of the East: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx

Also, Cornell is actually NY State's land grant university, as it is a private university with state affiliated programs and has an agricultural school(has a nice dairy bar with good homemade ice cream). More on that program: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn..._Life_Sciences

Other Cornell programs that are state affiliate statutory colleges: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn...inary_Medicine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn..._Human_Ecology

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn...abor_Relations

So, Cornell is a hybrid university that is parts private Ivy League/state land grant institution. It is the youngest Ivy as well.

Here are a couple of tv stations that serves the Twin Tiers that mentioned earlier: Contact Us | Twin Tiers - Elmira, Corning | MyTwinTiers

WENY News - Weny

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-08-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:25 PM

6,814 posts, read 9,374,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
A good contribution to this thread. I can't disagree with any of it really.

Fracking scares me most in terms of land ownership FYI. I would love to see it outlawed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Having just gotten back from one of Long Island's excellent (and nationally underrated) beaches, it's tough not to go with New York here. Not only does New York City trump Philly plus Pittsburgh, you've got the ocean. I do like Pennsylvania, though.
Not to go too much off topic but the fracking bothers me too.

I like living here on Long Island (thank you for your post Boulevardofdef!) but the cost of living is a serious drawback and sadly I do not see myself staying forever. I was thinking of moving eventually Upstate or Pennsylvania with Virginia and North Carolina being other possibilities. Upstate and PA are the first choices because they are both close and they are what I am used to, plus I still want to be near my parents as they are getting older.

But regarding Pennsylvania the fracking has pretty much thrown a monkey wrench into my thinking. The idea of buying a property and a year, 2 years or 10 years later the property next door gets sold for fracking or some other industrial use is scary. Not only is there a health concern but the concern of what happens to the long term value of my property because the neighbor or someone down the road is fracking.

I realize my fear is overblown to some extent because not all of Pennsylvania is being fracked. But I am still glad that New York declined to allow fracking, especially as New York is one of the top tourist states in the country and New York is next to the New England states with their squeaky clean image.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 PM

6,814 posts, read 9,374,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Always figured NY, NJ, and PA should probably function as one state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not to get off topic, but the eastern half of PA, southern portion of NY, all of NJ and DE would make an amazinggg state. Throw in Maryland too.
Aye, like a modern day New Netherland. With Maryland, a modern day Mid-Atlantic.

Someone mentioned feeling a kinship between Pennsylvania and New York. I can see it myself. Maybe this is normal for states next to each other, for instance I have friends in New Jersey and relatives in Connecticut.

But something about Pennsylvania, I never felt out of place there even if things seemed a little different. For example the scenery of the Poconos and the Catskills is very close even if the Catskills are taller.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM

5,771 posts, read 6,969,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think you might be right that it's mainly a NYC thing. Upstate can be conservative too, and a lot of Upstaters complain how blue and liberal NY is and blame NYC for it, which is probably true.

PA is far from the most conservative State, but is definitely much more conservative than NY and the rest of the Northeast except maybe New Hampshire. But PA did vote for Trump though (the only Northeast State) which kind of says a lot about PA compared to NY and other Northeast States.
Eliminate NYC from the vote total and Trump would have won NY too. He flipped parts of the New York City metro like Suffolk County and Staten Island as well. I'm far from pro Trump, but it's important to realize outside of NYC, New York isn't that much more blue than PA.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM

3,659 posts, read 4,301,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I almost ignored your post because of your political rant, but this ^^^^ is true.

What's up with PA liquor laws? Wine and liquor are only sold in special stores owned and regulated by the government (and have inconvenient hours), plus beer is only sold in beer distributor stores, which also tend to have inconvenient hours. You can't go into a regular supermarket, drug store, bodega/deli and get a beer...
Plus there's an early 2am last call, which I know is typical for most States, but it definitely doesn't help.
That's a poor reason to ignore an entire post. I was expressing my problems with NY and why I prefer PA; you don't have to agree. However, I touched on plenty of unrelated aspects of both states too.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:35 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,190,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I realize my fear is overblown to some extent because not all of Pennsylvania is being fracked. But I am still glad that New York declined to allow fracking, especially as New York is one of the top tourist states in the country and New York is next to the New England states with their squeaky clean image.
Not to delve too much into this, but I'll reiterate that it has pained me as a native Pennsylvanian to see images of impacts that fracking has caused upstate, particularly on such beautiful landscape. Unfortunately, the collective memory of the state has learned little from the pitfalls of industrialization that occurred from coal mining.

However, I do think that there's something to be said about tempering some of hysteria. While fracking certainly has risks (and from my understanding, I completely see NY's perspective in terms of an outright ban, as from what I've read it would have put the watershed serving the NYC metro area at greater risk, whereas in PA, the major population centers tend to be much father removed from the greatest activity), and I also don't subscribe to the propaganda of the industry, I think the truth really falls somewhere in between.

All this is to say, I certainly don't think fracking as damning as some may think, although I do very much wish for a quick eventual phased-out into a much more sustainable energy source. I completely understand your reservations about being immediately near it, but it certainly wouldn't be logical to rule out an entire state because of it, even within some counties where it occurs.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 PM

52,641 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Eliminate NYC from the vote total and Trump would have won NY too. He flipped parts of the New York City metro like Suffolk County and Staten Island as well. I'm far from pro Trump, but it's important to realize outside of NYC, New York isn't that much more blue than PA.
I think the difference comes in if you get rid of the biggest city in both states.

Also, the NY dynamic is kind of tricky because some actually believed that since he is from NY, he might actually serve the best interests of the state as a whole. Sigh...

Old 08-08-2017, 06:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,088,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not to get off topic, but the eastern half of PA, southern portion of NY, all of NJ and DE would make an amazinggg state. Throw in Maryland too.
You just defined the mid-atlantic.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 PM

3,659 posts, read 4,301,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not to delve too much into this, but I'll reiterate that it has pained me as a native Pennsylvanian to see images of impacts that fracking has caused upstate, particularly on such beautiful landscape. Unfortunately, the collective memory of the state has learned little from the pitfalls of industrialization that occurred from coal mining.

However, I do think that there's something to be said about tempering some of hysteria. While fracking certainly has risks (and from my understanding, I completely see NY's perspective in terms of an outright ban, as from what I've read it would have put the watershed serving the NYC metro area at greater risk, whereas in PA, the major population centers tend to be much father removed from the greatest activity), and I also don't subscribe to the propaganda of the industry, I think the truth really falls somewhere in between.

All this is to say, I certainly don't think fracking as damning as some may think, although I do very much wish for a quick eventual phased-out into a much more sustainable energy source. I completely understand your reservations about being immediately near it, but it certainly wouldn't be logical to rule out an entire state because of it, even within some counties where it occurs.
It's not that fracking is especially dangerous, it's that the people doing it are not being careful enough. Companies that run these things do get away with a lot of shortcuts.

That's problem, moreso than the act itself.

Fracking done carefully is not that bad, and a lot of places in upstate NY needed the work to come in.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:12 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,003,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's not that fracking is especially dangerous, it's that the people doing it are not being careful enough. Companies that run these things do get away with a lot of shortcuts.

That's problem, moreso than the act itself.

Fracking done carefully is not that bad, and a lot of places in upstate NY needed the work to come in.
I think the relative economic strength of NYC vs. the rest of NYS allows NYS to say "no" to fracking. NYC can "cover" the rest of NYS more so than Philadelphia can "cover" the rest of PA.

It is funny to meet that someone living in an educated bubble in the NYC metro (or Philadelphia metro) can frown upon mining for natural resources 100 miles away. Just because those of us in the bubble don't need fracking does not give us the right to (in a holier than though way) be against it. The fracking regions need those jobs. Yes, the affected neighbors need to be compensated, and yes, it should be taxed like they do in every other state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or