Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 72 51.80%
PA 67 48.20%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
NY is an east coast state. PA has no coast and is more a rust belt state.
New York is a rust belt state too, though. Even if you do not count New England.

Just because a teeny sliver of NY is coastal doesn't mean the rest of the state doesn't exist.

This is a CLASSIC example of how NYC just suffocates anything else about NY state in the public view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
It probably doesn't help that the city and the State share the same name. If New York State was called something else — literally anything else, it would probably not be as bad I'm guessing.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
It probably doesn't help that the city and the State share the same name. If New York State was called something else — literally anything else, it would probably not be as bad I'm guessing.
That is the prevailing theory.

NYC was once New Amsterdam. It never should have been changed.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:28 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Yeah, as CookieSkoon said, NY too could as easily qualify for "rust belt."

Really, when it comes down to it, both are East Coast and Northeastern states. Southeastern Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania's Downstate NY equivalent. Obviously SE PA is on a smaller scale. Upstate NY is NY's equivalent to "the rest of Pennsylvania" (that sounds terrible, but I'm not sure how to phrase it. Rural Pennsylvania does not fit, as it is not just rural).

Both states have areas with a heavy "East Coast feel" and a rust belt / Appalachian feel.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
This is a CLASSIC example of how NYC just suffocates anything else about NY state in the public view.
65.8% of the state's population lives in a New York City MSA county. Why wouldn't that be the case?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
65.8% of the state's population lives in a New York City MSA county. Why wouldn't that be the case?
It shouldn't! People should be smart enough to realize there is an entire state attached. All it takes is looking at a map.

It isn't rocket science.

This is what I'm talking about. Upstate goes entirely ignored and discounted and almost shunned from things it is a part of.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It shouldn't! People should be smart enough to realize there is an entire state attached. All it takes is looking at a map.

It isn't rocket science.

This is what I'm talking about. Upstate goes entirely ignored and discounted and almost shunned from things it is a part of.
Indeed. When 1 in 3 NYers live outside of the NYC metro, that's still a significant chunk of the population.

Unfortunately, PA has the opposite issue, whereby rural interests are definitely OVER-represented in the legislature despite over half of Pennsylvanians living in the Philly or Pittsburgh areas.

State governments generally need to do a better job of balancing local interests across sub-regions.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Awesome thread! Both states are among my favorites!

I ultimately ended up choosing PA, although I haven't seen as much of Upstate NY as I have rural PA. Not only is Philly my favorite city, but PA also has a host of other interesting cities (Bethlehem, Easton, Scranton, Milford, etc.). Philadelphia's suburbs are also the best in the US, imo. They tend to be more historic and connected to the city by rail than any other area. Speaking of rail, Philly's MSA and CSA are the best suited MSA and CSA for sustainable future growth as Philly has the US' only truly connected commuter rail system, which is also fully electrified.

Outside of Philly, Northeast PA and the Lehigh Valley are stunning. Having Delaware Water Gap is hard to beat. Although NY has its own beaches (PA also has beaches by Lake Erie), the South Jersey portion of the Shore is superior to anything above Ocean County (with Ashbury Park being a notable exception).

One thing I like about NY is the fact that residents in Upstate realize that NYC is the state's economic driver and don't mind investing their tax dollars towards it. Rural PA residents are reluctant to fund anything related to Philly, although we subsidize the rest of the state with the tax revenues we generate. Southeast PA is also the only portion of PA experiencing growth. Another thing I like about NY is their school funding formula. PA's district system could use an overhaul so that certain districts can receive the increased funding that they deserve.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
One thing I like about NY is the fact that residents in Upstate realize that NYC is the state's economic driver and don't mind investing their tax dollars towards it
Uhhhhhhh..... yeah, I'm not so sure about that... lol

Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Uhhhhhhh..... yeah, I'm not so sure about that... lol
Yeah, that sentiment will vary depending on where in Upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City