Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 72 51.80%
PA 67 48.20%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:27 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,485,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
I believe over 7 million of NYers are in Upstate. NYC area has 12. NYC metro is over 20 million, with 12 being in downstate and the other roughly 8 million in NJ and CT.

So even without NYC, Upstate NY by itself still has over 7 million people. I'm not sure most people realize that.

It is not remotely like Chicago with IL or Boston with MA, where those metros make up about 80% of the population of the state.
Cities upstate can be big. Particularly the three that make up the northern corridor. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse.

The southern tier has smaller forested cities, more akin to what you'd typically find in the south. Corning, Elmira, Ithaca and Binghamton.

It is true, there are many cities in NY state as a whole. However, they are generally dense. There are still massive tracts of rural/small town and wilderness outside of them. North country alone is a mass of mostly wilderness.

To say that NY is entirely urban is still doing it a dis-service in truth of character.

Upstate's population and distribution thereof is actually quite similar to Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,138,681 times
Will Buffalo and Rochester ever be one CSA? They're separated by only 75 miles or so, so I'm not sure if they have adjacent exurbs/suburbs with commuter flow.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM

61 posts, read 61,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly and I think people may not realize that NY State is only 30th in land size.

Also, as I mentioned before earlier in the thread, if you just take the regions in the I-90 corridor of Upstate NY and made it a state, that would still have enough people to be about 23-26th in state population rankings right now. So, even with said population losses, there are still a lot of people within a state that is smaller than most in this country in terms of land size. Regions that I am referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffal...atistical_Area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roches...atistical_area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_New_York

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...atistical_Area

People also have to keep in mind that you can move to the suburbs in the NYC metro area and also end up moving to another state. So, you can still leave the state, but be under the influence of the state(particularly NYC) economically.

Also, in regards to the split mentioned previously, this is some information that people in Upstate that want to separate from Downstate need to keep in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvmkC_-0oeU

I have family in Long Island, went to school in NJ and lived in NYC/NJ. My favorite teams are NY teams.

I am not one of the folks who thinks we should throw out arguably the greatest city in the world. That type of thinking really highlights how ass backwards some people are up here. Yeah, lets just throw away NYC's influence. Even historically with the Erie Canal, we owe most of our tax base and history to them. The upstate/downstate secession is total BS to me. I refuse to allow this state to throw that away so we can become ****ing Ohio.

As much as I used to love the big city lifestyle, I have to say I am more akin to the Adirondacks and nature aspect of the state now.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM

61 posts, read 61,279 times
Most states would kill to have NYC in theirs. And people here wanna throw it away. But, you can't be surprised anymore when Nazi's are rallying in Charlottesville, VA in 2017.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:32 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,654,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I really do not understand the appeal of Florida.
Wow

Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,654,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Cities upstate can be big. Particularly the three that make up the northern corridor. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse.

The southern tier has smaller forested cities, more akin to what you'd typically find in the south. Corning, Elmira, Ithaca and Binghamton.

It is true, there are many cities in NY state as a whole. However, they are generally dense. There are still massive tracts of rural/small town and wilderness outside of them. North country alone is a mass of mostly wilderness.

To say that NY is entirely urban is still doing it a dis-service in truth of character.

Upstate's population and distribution thereof is actually quite similar to Ohio.

So upstate New York is comparable to Ohio ? Lol

Old 08-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 10 days ago)

5,748 posts, read 5,506,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
So upstate New York is comparable to Ohio ? Lol
Yes bruh, just trust me on this one!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,292,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Will Buffalo and Rochester ever be one CSA? They're separated by only 75 miles or so, so I'm not sure if they have adjacent exurbs/suburbs with commuter flow.
Barring any unprecedented extreme growth, it's doubtful. The distance between the two cities is just too far away. There are some commuters between the Rochester and Buffalo areas. According to a census report on mega-commuters, there are 1,025 residents of Monroe County who commute to Erie County, and 1,241 who travel from Erie to Monroe, which can take anywhere from about 60 to 90 minutes depending on the location, weather and road conditions. Pretty small number. If Rochester were located a bit more to the west, and Buffalo to the northeast, then they likely would've become a unified metro like Raleigh/Durham or Dallas/Ft. Worth. If their respective downtowns were located where Lockport and Brockport are, for example. There is also Buffalo's history as a much larger city. Perhaps if in 50 years the two cities begin to grow again, suburban sprawl continues and a high speed commuter rail (or Hyperloop) link the two cities to make it feasible to work in one and live in another, then they very well come become one metro. Until then, they are in a common region of Western New York, but two independent MSA/CSAs.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,970 times
Lets go with PA on this one.

Incredibly livable with the perfect sized principal city(Philly 6-7 M people) moderate climate and just about every inch of Pa is productive to mankind.

NYC tends to be a a zoo and the interior can be primitively wildernistic. Give NY props for the Hamptons and Southshore of Long Island though.

Overall its PA and its not really close.

Just outside of Philly

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg

Last edited by rainrock; 08-12-2017 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Yes bruh, just trust me on this one!
Similar minus the mountains and certain ethnic groups, among a few other things.

Michigan comes to mind due to its cities being concentrated in the lower half of the lower peninsula, the same way most of NY's population is around I-90 down.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-12-2017 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City