U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is headed towards being the king of Suburban mega-regions?
Orange County 41 52.56%
NOVA 37 47.44%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 PM

923 posts, read 904,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yet the spinoff of "The OC" (The Hills aka the HOLLYWOOD HILLS) was based and centered in the middle of LA! LOL. Apparently LA's uglier, denser but still auto-oriented sprawl is exciting and more "city-like" to the vapid OC youth.

Yeah no connection to LA at all......

I imagine the wealthier high-school graduate equivalents of NOVA actually pursue more useful 4-year university educations rather than the vapid, worthless AA degrees of LA's entertainment and fashion industry.
So what. We need to get this poster a thesaurus because there is a wonderful world of adjectives beyond "vapid" out there.

This is such a weak rebuttal it just furthers my point-"The OC" was such a successful series it spawned a spinoff that went for six seasons! Let us know when there is EVER a show set in NOVA, because as far as we can see, there never has been one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,137,379 times
Not that it matters, but "the Hills" was a spinoff of the reality show "Laguna Beach". Not the scripted drama known as "the OC".

Old 08-24-2017, 05:08 AM

860 posts, read 468,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So what. We need to get this poster a thesaurus because there is a wonderful world of adjectives beyond "vapid" out there.

This is such a weak rebuttal it just furthers my point-"The OC" was such a successful series it spawned a spinoff that went for six seasons! Let us know when there is EVER a show set in NOVA, because as far as we can see, there never has been one.
And the only rebuttal you have are television shows and mentions in pop culture, so 'vapid' fits perfectly in this instance.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:33 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
A much, much smaller production aired on Bravo. The O.C. was a major show that aired on Fox. Of course, like you said, it's not even set in NOVA so not sure how it came up as a rebuttal.

Another dimension of this is look how much further Orange County came in a shorter time frame, facing major obstacles (water supply).

both of their growth trajectories are somewhat similar in timing, though DC is older it really didn't grow significantly until more recent times (though was settled long before in the modern sense)

AC (or without) was limiter for NOVA moreso than the OC. Summers in NOVA are quite hot and very humid)

I actually like and have family in the OC (Villa Park area) and am there a few time a year and lived in NOVA for a short stint a while back and am in the DC area a few times a year

these two areas while different both afford great lifestyles, most else comes down to personal preference (jobs, family, lifestyle etc.)

one thing that to me cant be dismissed is the coast

Places like Laguna just are not replicated in NOVA, nor some of the great mountain vistas

though you could also argue that the OC ha no answer for a place like Alexandria etc.

I could live in either and be happy, though prefer cities themselves but given a choice of if money, time, location where no issues a beach/coastal view down close to Laguna would have to be tops for me. I also must say where I go in the OC (while not directly on the coast) in the hills above Villa Park has some amazing views. I wake up with coffee and look out and have thought to myself I feel like I am in Italy. Something no one said in NOVA. But to be fair NOVA has some tremendous aspects and to deny or dismiss them is ill informed.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:

You tried to show how little connection LA has with OC yet a spinoff series off a show set there (Laguna Beach as was correctly pointed out) was set in the middle of LA showing the connection. That is the "what".

OC spawned several TV shows about VAPID millennials, yeah that's something to be proud of and boast about....

Isn't any show or movie involving the CIA or Pentagon pretty much set in NOVA? There is a show called "Quantico" as in Quanitco, VA. Given that there are probably a hell of a lot more shows and movies set in NOVA than OC. Would you rather watch a tv show or movie about VAPID millenials or the CIA, Pentagon/national security?

Old 08-28-2017, 02:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 6,730,793 times
The SoCal megalopolis really includes LA, OC and San Diego, its all becoming one big massive corridor. Not to even mention San Bernardino to the east which is now blending into OC and LA. If you looked at it from space I'm sure it would all blend into one big land mass. It's more comparable to the NY, Phila, Baltimore, DC corridor.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:09 PM

1,078 posts, read 894,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
The SoCal megalopolis really includes LA, OC and San Diego, its all becoming one big massive corridor. Not to even mention San Bernardino to the east which is now blending into OC and LA. If you looked at it from space I'm sure it would all blend into one big land mass. It's more comparable to the NY, Phila, Baltimore, DC corridor.
It's been blended for decades now, one of only 2 CSA's which are actually MSA's in their function and contiguous nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City