U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is headed towards being the king of Suburban mega-regions?
Orange County 41 52.56%
NOVA 37 47.44%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:12 PM

923 posts, read 904,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yes, OC has a very distinct culture.

Hence why they call it the orange curtin.

It is part of the LA metro, but pretty much everyone knows it is its own entity, just like SD, IE, Ventura. It's just people from Norcal, who can not tell the difference. Remember, they are a puny metro, where small tourist traps like SF are called "the city", LOL .

When you factor the weather, women, weed,UC Irvine, the natural beauty, NOVA is nothingness compared to OC.

I have family in Fairfax and Vienna. You can't tell the diffefence between those places and Naperville, IL, Overland Park, KS, etc.

NOVA is only amazing once you go towards Manassas amd horse country. But if you go too deep you wind up in west virginia
Yes the metro area sizes are disparate. How many counties and states have to be added together to get the D.C. metro, which is still smaller than just L.A. county alone by over 3 million people? I forgot.

Also there is an adversarial relationship between OC and LA, though they are technically the same metro. The two entities don't want to be like each other and don't want to be associated with each other. If you picked up one and placed it in another state they would both be like 'Ok, bye." If you picked up D.C. and put it in Georgia, NOVA would probably be like "YOU CANT DO THIS TO US...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,998,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Yes the metro area sizes are disparate. How many counties and states have to be added together to get the D.C. metro, which is still smaller than just L.A. county alone by over 3 million people? I forgot.

Also there is an adversarial relationship between OC and LA, though they are technically the same metro. The two entities don't want to be like each other and don't want to be associated with each other. If you picked up one and placed it in another state they would both be like 'Ok, bye." If you picked up D.C. and put it in Georgia, NOVA would probably be like "YOU CANT DO THIS TO US...."
Adding LA county into this is getting away from the OP's topic at hand. OC is about 1000 sq miles alone. The comparison is between NOVA and OC, not two whole metro areas. NOVA is just shy of 3 million and growing faster, OC is a little over 3 million, certainly these two parts of these two metro areas can be compared.

OC without LA would be another huge suburb on the Pacific Ocean like San Diego, actually much less important than that. There wouldn't be any Disneyland in OC if LA weren't there. There wouldn't be any notable amenities there of importance, it would just be a bunch of beach towns strung together like Florida north of Miami's metro. It certainly wouldn't be 3 million people there either.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,244,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Adding LA county into this is getting away from the OP's topic at hand. OC is about 1000 sq miles alone. The comparison is between NOVA and OC, not two whole metro areas. NOVA is just shy of 3 million and growing faster, OC is a little over 3 million, certainly these two parts of these two metro areas can be compared.

OC without LA would be another huge suburb on the Pacific Ocean like San Diego, actually much less important than that. There wouldn't be any Disneyland in OC if LA weren't there. There wouldn't be any notable amenities there of importance, it would just be a bunch of beach towns strung together like Florida north of Miami's metro. It certainly wouldn't be 3 million people there either.
And without DC, NOVa would just be another southern back water. NOVA does not even have any notable amenities with DC nearby. So in that sense, there is nothing to lose.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:26 PM

27,735 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
And without DC, NOVa would just be another southern back water. NOVA does not even have any notable amenities with DC nearby. So in that sense, there is nothing to lose.
Not sure what you consider "notable amenities," but NOVA has the largest corporate base in the region, the best/most upscale shopping in the region, and two of three of the region's airports. It also has the most traditionally urban area in the region outside of DC itself. Compared to OC, the only amenities that are lacking are major league sports teams and amusement parks.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

430 posts, read 240,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
...and yet, Orange County is still a part of the Los Angeles Metropolitan area, not to mention they share the same media market and sports teams with the city that many snobby OCers seem to hate so much. There's lots of metro areas with multiple counties, so OC is not exceptional in that regard. A lot of tourists in general are ignorant when it comes to matters of geography...people who go to Sawgrass Mills in Broward County still think they're in "Miami," or people who go to Sausalito may not realize they're in Marin County, not the City and County of San Francisco. So tourists who are unfamiliar with city limits and boundaries couldn't care less if they're in Anaheim, Fullerton, Santa Ana, etc. because it's all "Los Angeles" to them shouldn't be so surprising.
I agree with this. I have been going to California to visit family every Thanksgiving since the 9th grade. Part of my family lives in Van Nuys off of Sepulveda and the others live in Santa Ana...It's all LA to me. I realize that each area is in a different county but as an east coaster, that doesn't really mean much to me. Arlington is a county but if you aren't paying attention you can be in Fairfax County without even noticing. I've caught the Orange Line in California enough to be familiar with the geography of the area but as someone from a completely different part of the country, I don't care what county I'm in. I'm just trying to enjoy the weather

Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure what you consider "notable amenities," but NOVA has the largest corporate base in the region, the best/most upscale shopping in the region, and two of three of the region's airports. It also has the most traditionally urban area in the region outside of DC itself. Compared to OC, the only amenities that are lacking are major league sports teams and amusement parks.
Exactly correct. I'll give OC the beaches too, although not an actually "amenity", but that is just location.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:05 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,244,870 times
LoL corporations are not amenities. And OC has many job centers too. If Dulles airport is your idea of an amenity, your arguement is lost.

OC has way better shopping, nightlife, hiking, beaches, sports venus, etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:16 PM

27,735 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
LoL corporations are not amenities. And OC has many job centers too. If Dulles airport is your idea of an amenity, your arguement is lost.

This is why I said I wasn't sure what you considered to be "notable amenities." Even if you don't consider them to be such, it's clear that they are pretty important features. The fact of the matter is that DC is just more centralized as a metro and a good bit smaller, so it's just not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I just wanted to see how this forum would rate the wealthiest and most expansive suburban regions in the nation and which areas are the closest to not only being a suburban paradise, but the closest to transitioning into a more urban and connected region.

Amenities- Draw. OC has beaches and Disneyland. NOVA has some cool things like Great Falls and Mt. Vernon.
Transportation- NOVA
Urbanity/Density- NOVA b/c of Alexandria and parts of Arlington
Safety- (Likely the Same) - NOVA?
Affordability- OC?
Shopping Districts/Malls- NOVA
Business Districts- Tysons vs. South Coast Metro - ?
Diversity- OC
Wealth- NOVA
Economy- (Not including LA or Washington) - Not really possible
Future- (Which will have the greater population/ more influence on U.S economy) - Let me get my crystal ball

Cities- Arlington/Alexandria vs. Anaheim/Santa Ana/ Irvine) - NOVA

NOVA is defined as the 2.45 million people that live in Loudoun, Prince William, Arlington and Fairfax Counties as well as the independent cities in between. Orange County is Orange County, California which has 3.17 million.
Answers in bold.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Again ridiculous. Tysons alone is the 12th biggest job center in the U.S., then there's Reston, Herndon, all of Arlington which includes Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Crystal City, and Alexandria. Not to mention all the new transit nodes of job centers being built along the Silver Line to Dulles right now. Most of the DC metro areas business activity that does not take place in specifically downtown DC, takes place in NOVA. Followed by the MD suburbs.

NOVA has everything you mentioned except for beaches. There are sports venues in NOVA, minor league baseball, NCAA basketball etc, there is just not a professional major 4 sports team located in NOVA....yet. Again, i'll give you Disneyland, weather, and the beaches, otherwise I see a wash at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City