U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall best foodie location?
Atlanta (Greater Atlanta) 14 15.91%
Dallas (Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex) 2 2.27%
Houston (Greater Houston) 43 48.86%
Miami (Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale) 9 10.23%
Washington D.C. (Greater Washington D.C.) 20 22.73%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:00 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,363,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
I'm a foodie who eats out every meal, every day. Even for me, and I've eaten out extensively in Houston, Miami and eaten out plenty of times in Atlanta, DC (Dallas I'm not familiar with) I don't feel I have the necessary first-hand experience sampling scores of restaurants from these cuisines in all of these cities to answer this survey.

So take everything below with a huge grain of salt.

When it comes to European cuisines it's a close tie between Miami and D.C.
When it comes to Mexico/Central American, Houston leads the way.
When it comes to "American" (regional food from the USA), Houston leads the way.
When it comes to Caribbean cuisine, Miami leads the way.
When it comes to South American cuisine, Miami leads the way.
When it comes to African cuisine, DC leads the way.
When it comes to Subcontinental (Desi) cuisine, it's a close race between Houston and D.C.
When it comes to Eastern Asian cuisine, I give the nod to DC with Houston not far behind.
When it comes to Middle Eastern, DC leads the pack with Houston and Miami close together.
When it comes to seafood, Miami wins easily.

All in all, I'm voting for D.C. DC is strong in all categories while Houston and especially Miami have their "blind" spots.
Ill tell you that Indian food varieties are better in Dallas than Houston IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM
_OT

2,063 posts, read 1,311,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Anyone who comes to this section of the forum should most likely know that Houston has a more diverse population than Atlanta, which would then mean it has more diverse food offerings.

Houston has just as good Southern cuisine, while also having more Cajun and Creole offerings. Texas BBQ. It has a more diverse Asian and Hispanic/Latin population as well which shows in the food offerings. Atlanta may have Houston on some Caribbean joints (mainly Jamaican) but Houston is coming up there as well.

DC, by default, has a wide range of offerings too.

Why dont you post why you think Atlanta has a more diverse range of options than Houston or DC because I don't see any evidence from you to support your vote.
It's an insecurity thing, most Atlanta posters believe that Atlanta should be included in everything even though it doesn't favor Atlanta at all. The thread says, "Food Variety Comparison" and DC/Houston strongly fits the mold here more so than Atlanta.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM

21,045 posts, read 33,064,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
It's an insecurity thing, most Atlanta posters believe that Atlanta should be included in everything even though it doesn't favor Atlanta at all. The thread says, "Food Variety Comparison" and DC/Houston strongly fits the mold here more so than Atlanta.
Oh, serve up another order of blah blah blah; sour grapes on the side. No one is suffering from any insecurities; simply mild annoyance regarding these abysmally tacky comments about a city that is truly hitting its' stride.
Oh, and Miami? It's already seen its' best days. Move over; Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are passing you by.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 PM

77 posts, read 33,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, serve up another order of blah blah blah; sour grapes on the side. No one is suffering from any insecurities; simply mild annoyance regarding these abysmally tacky comments about a city that is truly hitting its' stride.
Oh, and Miami? It's already seen its' best days. Move over; Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are passing you by.
Since I moved to Miami, every year has brought more and more improvements to this city. More residences are being built at a staggering rate, the city is infilling at a staggering rate (and it's already far denser than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas), there are more cultural institutions being built, and the chief complaint about Miami has been the job market and that has drastically improved since I moved here.

Miami has a lot of potential in a way that the cities don't have. And unless it floods, Miami will go from a leisure city to a true economic hub for Latin America.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,511,801 times
Quote:
Since I moved to Miami, every year has brought more and more improvements to this city. More residences are being built at a staggering rate, the city is infilling at a staggering rate (and it's already far denser than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas), there are more cultural institutions being built, and the chief complaint about Miami has been the job market and that has drastically improved since I moved here.

Miami has a lot of potential in a way that the cities don't have. And unless it floods, Miami will go from a leisure city to a true economic hub for Latin America.
Miami is going to flood, though. I wouldn't invest too heavily there.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:

That's nice.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Miami is going to flood, though. I wouldn't invest too heavily there.
I wouldn't use the word "is" because even if you're certain that the models are correct, several feet of sea level rise can be countered by several feet of sea wall rise.

It's also not too difficult to raise the city several feet especially since more and more buildings are high rises. It's easy to just get rid of the first floor.

Who knows, maybe Miami will turn into a tropical Art-Deco Venice

Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't use the word "is" because even if you're certain that the models are correct, several feet of sea level rise can be countered by several feet of sea wall rise.

It's also not too difficult to raise the city several feet especially since more and more buildings are high rises. It's easy to just get rid of the first floor.

Who knows, maybe Miami will turn into a tropical Art-Deco Venice
Or the Lower Ninth Ward, perhaps.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Envy just hurts the jealous individual.

#pathetic

Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 PM

1,876 posts, read 1,925,935 times
Quote:
wow, you're just a doll, especially considering you just said the below about Atlanta, you turn into a hypocrite and do the same to Miami.

Quote:
Back on the topic of food, I always thought Dallas was really famous for it's BBQ? I don't have first hand experience but it's something I always heard.

Last edited by Ebck120; 08-14-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or