Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rail system?
Baltimore 10 8.85%
Cleveland 10 8.85%
Pittsburgh 9 7.96%
St Louis 9 7.96%
Minneapolis/St Paul 13 11.50%
Seattle 16 14.16%
Portland 34 30.09%
Other 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 PM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times

Advertisements

San Diego is also in the middle of an extension that is 10+ miles that is mostly grade-separated and will connect to its major university and the secondary downtown of La Jolla. That’s also with two separate commuter rail services and a fairly frequent train to Los Angeles and beyond.

It would’ve been a wondruous thing had both Seattle and the Twin Cities had gotten their 70s era hybrid commuter/rapid transit heavy rail systems—too bad. I think they would have worked out really well in both cities and visitors and domestic migrants seeing that would have pushed other places to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,088,723 times
Seattle's LRT is going to be extremely comprehensive over the next decade or so. But one thing I can't understand is why they didn't go with HRT or, at the very least, high-platform LRT (a la St. Louis, LA and a few others) or at least dual-height platforms, like SF and Pittsburgh. Seattle is made up, 2 narrow peninsulas and, in places, like Capitol Hill, Queen Anne and downtown/Pioneer Square and Pike's Place, etc, the density feels similar to SF. The downtown tunnel was the only way to go -- Portland's downtown surface lines clearly wouldn't be feasible in such a dense environment... That said, low-platform LRT in Seattle's tunnels seem inadequate -- I've seen the crazy crowds on the Northside extension and it's only going to get crazier as that line extends north and the Mercer Is/East Bay extension to Richmond is completed. Obviously I hope it works out.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:02 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Seattle's LRT is going to be extremely comprehensive over the next decade or so. But one thing I can't understand is why they didn't go with HRT or, at the very least, high-platform LRT (a la St. Louis, LA and a few others) or at least dual-height platforms, like SF and Pittsburgh. Seattle is made up, 2 narrow peninsulas and, in places, like Capitol Hill, Queen Anne and downtown/Pioneer Square and Pike's Place, etc, the density feels similar to SF. The downtown tunnel was the only way to go -- Portland's downtown surface lines clearly wouldn't be feasible in such a dense environment... That said, low-platform LRT in Seattle's tunnels seem inadequate -- I've seen the crazy crowds on the Northside extension and it's only going to get crazier as that line extends north and the Mercer Is/East Bay extension to Richmond is completed. Obviously I hope it works out.
East Bay extension to Richmond? That's a Bay Area Freudian slip. What you meant was Eastside extension to Redmond.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
I was referring to heavy rail rapid transit. I'm sorry for the poor terminology; I'm from New York so that type of transit if referred to as a subway. Heavy rail rapid transit is only present in Baltimore and Cleveland of the cities listed.
Sound Transit is using 1500 VDC traction electrification, rather than 750 VDC, which is common with light rail, to enable driving four-car trains with short headways, to reduce substations, and for other reasons. This is tantamount to being a hybrid system, to my mind.

If it is underground, it is a subway, even if the trains are pulled by donkeys.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:36 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Has anything changed in the last year?

I know Charlotte added to its system which is now comparable to Pittsburgh.
LA is adding the Crenshaw line in 2019 and will finally connect LAX Airport to LA's metro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crenshaw/LAX_Line

Denver's Gold line to Arvada (Heavy comutter rail/electric) is set to open soon, after some extensive delays.

RTD

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-25-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
East Bay extension to Richmond? That's a Bay Area Freudian slip. What you meant was Eastside extension to Redmond.
Yep, I got my Richmonds and Redmonds reversed... Good catch...

Old 07-26-2018, 04:33 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Sound Transit is using 1500 VDC traction electrification, rather than 750 VDC, which is common with light rail, to enable driving four-car trains with short headways, to reduce substations, and for other reasons. This is tantamount to being a hybrid system, to my mind.

Seattles seems like a just in case we have to crow a street kind of Loght Rail vs we are doing it to avoid ROW acquisition light rail which is commonplace

Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
LA is adding the Crenshaw line in 2019 and will finally connect LAX Airport to LA's metro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crenshaw/LAX_Line

Denver's Gold line to Arvada (Heavy comutter rail/electric) is set to open soon, after some extensive delays.

RTD

LA's doing some great things, transit-wise, including the "connector" downtown... But I think they're making a big mistake in not connecting the new Crenshaw "Brown Line" line directly to downtown given LAX commuters a 1-seat ride into downtown. Planners claim the Expo and Blue Lines are already near capacity and that Crenshaw rail traffic would create too much congestion. I would still try and figure it out, even if they had to limit Expo traffic by having the 2 lines alternate trains into downtown.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

I was going to say the average person wouldn’t distinguish that Seattle transit clip from most heavy rail.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
LA's doing some great things, transit-wise, including the "connector" downtown... But I think they're making a big mistake in not connecting the new Crenshaw "Brown Line" line directly to downtown given LAX commuters a 1-seat ride into downtown. Planners claim the Expo and Blue Lines are already near capacity and that Crenshaw rail traffic would create too much congestion. I would still try and figure it out, even if they had to limit Expo traffic by having the 2 lines alternate trains into downtown.
LA is extending the Crenshaw line north to connect with both the purple and red lines. Along the way it will connect with major areas and destinations not currently served by rail. It’s probably better to have new areas served than find better ways to get people to areas where rail already exists.

And to give you an idea of the need, the estimate is that 90,000 people will ride this extension. That’s 12,000 people per mile which would make it far and away the busiest light rail line in the country. Busier than any heavy rail line outside NYC in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City