Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:39 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
back to the topic.

city: detroit
state: ohio
Once again, have you ever been to Ohio? Cincinnati and Cleveland are two amazing cities with great history, sprawl is bad, but what American city isn't? Los Angeles ranks up there as one of the worst in the WORLD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:40 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Cleveland, Cincy, and Columbus certainly can't be nicer than San Antonio, Austin and even Dallas or Houston.

LOL Austin?? Cleveland is beautiful, Cincinnati has the hills and amazing architecture, and Columbus is just another Dallas or Houston, a newer city. You people need to take a visit to Ohio before you start bashing it like you do. It sounds like you have never been to Ohio either.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Tucson.

Sprawl mixed with crumbling, old, tacky Southwestern style houses.

No gracias.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:20 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Once again, have you ever been to Ohio? Cincinnati and Cleveland are two amazing cities with great history, sprawl is bad, but what American city isn't? Los Angeles ranks up there as one of the worst in the WORLD!
at least LA is densely sprawled with lots to do. ive been to cincinatti. reminded me of a runned down version of minneapolis, no offense.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
and ohio is flat, which must explain the states lack of zoning laws. socal has an excuse cuz its extremely earthquake prone and its terrain/topography is extremely erratic, with hills, canyons, and valleys all over the place in and out of city limits. it doesnt want to repeat a 1906 san francisco

Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Texas is really ugly.

Texas isn't ugly at all.. Take a look at these, all in Texas.

Texas Hill Country
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jsb23/exs460/Texas%20Hill%20Country.jpg (broken link)

El Paso

And this is a small sample of the beauty in Texas.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
and ohio is flat, which must explain the states lack of zoning laws. socal has an excuse cuz its extremely earthquake prone and its terrain/topography is extremely erratic, with hills, canyons, and valleys all over the place in and out of city limits. it doesnt want to repeat a 1906 san francisco
You must have been to central or western ohio, because Eastern and NE Ohio are nothing like you describe. I've lived in Ohio my whole life and every place i've lived has zoning. Not sure what topography has to do w/zoning, BTW. Maybe there is no zoning in some rural areas, but this isn't the case where i live.

Oh yeah, and not all of Ohio is flat, just West of Cleveland and Central Ohio:

http://www.ohiodnr.com/Portals/10/pdf/sem_spec.pdf

From Photobucket:

Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Texas isn't ugly at all.. Take a look at these, all in Texas.

Texas Hill Country
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jsb23/exs460/Texas%20Hill%20Country.jpg (broken link)

El Paso

And this is a small sample of the beauty in Texas.
My daughter saw the first picture, and she said, "That is God. That is what He does for us, Mommy."

Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The problem is so many, especially developers, are intent on spreading that stuff everywhere...I suppose Alaska only being about 1% or less privately owned may have a benefit after all, keeping the development down. I imagine cities not offering any services whatsoever (water, sewage, fire fighting, schools, etc.) outside their strict borders would cut down on the spread of the ugliness.
On this we agree.

BTW, IMHO highway "improvements" are the first inch of the short slippery slope to spreading development! I think lots of rural dwellers don't realize what they are wishing for when they demand wider, faster roads in their areas! After the developers show up, it is too late.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Anyone who has spent hours on an interstate may indulge
in one of my runaway twisted ( but not serious ) fantasies of
grenade launching of billboards. Mail box hockey in the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City