U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:39 AM
_OT

2,114 posts, read 1,469,996 times

Advertisements

I agree that Toronto would be a great location, large South Asian/Caribbean presence. Also has a large population of Indo-Guyanese and Indo-Trinidadians...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM

87 posts, read 54,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
No actual chance on Toronto in the interim period. Toronto already has the demographics to make it work and also cricket is played at the stadium in Toronto often. Actual matches featuring two other countries have been played in Toronto numerous times and they have a great fanbase and following for the sport in Toronto in general. Toronto would have easily been the #2 team to launch with after New York but it is clear that they want this league to be U.S. centric only.

So to answer your question the next set of expansions in the United States will be Los Angeles, followed by the likes of Boston, Houston, Miami, Seattle, so on and so forth.
A sports ventures firm will work with real estate giant JLL to plan and build eight cricket stadiums across the country, including Dallas.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:01 AM

1,779 posts, read 1,100,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
The United States is quite possibly getting a professional Cricket League: 8 launch sites identified

I've been meaning to post this for a while but it has constantly slipped my mind. The U.S. is quite possibly getting a professional cricket league that will start off with 8 launch sites that will have their own teams, venues, stadiums, and other accommodations.

The 8 identified spots include:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmat.../#1b5ac6544517

With regards to where in those states, a separate report outlines that in California it will be the San Francisco Bay Area, in Texas it will be the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, in Florida it will be the Greater Orlando area, in New Jersey it will be in Northern New Jersey, in Illinois it will be in Chicagoland, in Georgia it will be in Greater Atlanta, and I assume the rest are self-explanatory.

These are renderings for the type of stadiums and surrounding environs that they plan to build:

1: http://www.11alive.com/img/resize/co...184_ver1.0.jpg

2: http://www.11alive.com/img/resize/co...183_ver1.0.jpg

All major components are labeled. Feel free to share your thoughts and/or concerns.
This is fun - At family parties we used to play cricket in Northern NJ so makes total sense that it's one of those locations

Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 AM

10,664 posts, read 8,015,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No problem answering your question at all bredren. The demographics were mostly Jamaican, Trini, Guyanese and Bajan. It did not seem very popular in the Haitian community in Boston from what I gathered. The reason the club was HQ'd in Mattapan is because the captain lived in Milton right on the Mattapan line.

Franklin park has practice matches going on regularly nearby also.
Those countries have high Indian population or influence

Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 AM

4,389 posts, read 2,233,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Those countries have high Indian population or influence
i would say they have high english population or influence (including india).

Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 AM

906 posts, read 652,362 times
I am sorry OP...I saw your link and read it but I still don't believe the USA is second in global cricket viewership...makes no sense...that is pretty shocking

Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 PM

5,421 posts, read 8,037,270 times
With all due respect, for what?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:15 AM

4,644 posts, read 1,722,604 times
There are recreational cricket leagues that pay in my area some 30 miles outside Boston. They seem to mostly cater to the Indian community of hi-tech workers that have moved here for their careers.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,127,814 times
The largest South Asian community in North America is in the NY metro, esp. Northern NJ, so it makes sense they're planning two regional teams, one for Northern NJ, and probably the other for Brooklyn-Queens-LI.

Also, the gigantic Caribbean community in the region can't hurt.

I'm in Brooklyn, and cricket is a very popular activity in a nearby park. Big crowds on weekends. The teams appear to be mostly South Asian or West Indian.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,788,729 times
The Main Line, just outside of Philadelphia would be a great spot for a cricket team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City