U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:02 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,342,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
The Main Line, just outside of Philadelphia would be a great spot for a cricket team.
A lot of people play cricket in West Fairmount Park near the Mann Music Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM

6,617 posts, read 8,273,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
This is fun - At family parties we used to play cricket in Northern NJ so makes total sense that it's one of those locations
I agree.

My father introduced me to the sport when I was just a kid. When we moved overseas to Asia, he bought me the whole cricket set with the bat, the balls, the wickets, the stands, and all of that with the intention that if I learned the sport with the widest following in that country that I would have a much easier time meeting people my age and getting along with the neighborhood kids. He was right about that, we used to play at the maidon (means "field" in a foreign language) everyday. We brought all of the cricket stuff back with us when we moved back to the U.S. and I continued to play it sparingly with neighborhood kids in every city I lived in. Rare to find people in the U.S. with interest for it but they are always out there. My dad would always get the world cup TV package during the world cup to get the extensive coverage of the entire tournament and we would always either have people over to watch the matches or we, ourselves, would go over to the homes of our family friends to watch. I've known of the weekend meet up spots to play cricket in every city I have lived in (or at least one of the spots, if there were more) and we've always branched out to every social/ethnic group of people with regard to inclusion. Also knew which venues to go to get a drink and watch cricket tournaments when they would be on in each of the cities I lived in the United States. There is a base for it, but one of those things that you have to look for it to find it in majority of the United States.

I play tennis every weekend here but also play cricket pretty sparingly here over the weekends as well (well whenever I get some open time for it). Needless to say, it's easy to drum up support to craft a full team because it's a widely popular sport here amongst almost all of the groups of people here.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-27-2017 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
A U.S. professional sports development team has tapped the Atlanta office of JLL to scout sites in the metro area — and seven other states — for a newly established professional cricket franchise. Global Sports Ventures announced last year that it entered into a $70M licensing agreement with the USA Cricket Association to establish eight professional cricket teams in North America, spending an estimated $2.4B on infrastructure and business development.

While no specific sites have been identified yet, JLL International Director David Demarest has been tapped by Philadelphia-based GSV to scout Atlanta and seven other cities for stadium sites: New York; East Brunswick, New Jersey; Washington, D.C.; Orlando, Florida; Dallas; Chicago; and San Francisco. The plan is to launch the initial eight teams in time to start a season in 2020, officials said, after which the league will expand by as many as six other markets.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser
Supposedly the Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex will get the first stadium and mixed-use complex built of the initial 8 locations:

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...tionwide-96167

Old 12-23-2018, 04:06 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,689,461 times
Lauderhill Fl already has one of the few cricket stadiums in the US at the Central Broward Regional Park. Metro Miami has been on that wave for awhile.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The largest South Asian community in North America is in the NY metro, esp. Northern NJ, so it makes sense they're planning two regional teams, one for Northern NJ, and probably the other for Brooklyn-Queens-LI.

Also, the gigantic Caribbean community in the region can't hurt.

I'm in Brooklyn, and cricket is a very popular activity in a nearby park. Big crowds on weekends. The teams appear to be mostly South Asian or West Indian.
Yeah, the newly established Cricket league will have 8 initial teams based in the following places and/or metropolitan areas (no specific order):

- Atlanta, Georgia
- Chicago, Illinois
- Dallas, Texas
- New Brunswick, New Jersey (Greater New York)
- New York, New York
- Orlando, Florida
- San Francisco, California
- Washington, District of Columbia

Essentially 2 out of the first 8 teams will be based in Greater New York, which has by far the demographical edge to sustain this sport. They mention up to 6 other expansion cities after the initial 8, my guess would be Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Boston, and Seattle will be 5 out of those 6.

Some of them have the largest and most diverse South Asian populations in all of North America, so stands to reason that they'll get it eventually as it is.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:14 PM

4,966 posts, read 4,025,225 times
It looks boring, but still more interesting than golf.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:18 PM

481 posts, read 291,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
If it's going to be in Dallas, for the love of God play in the actual city or along a DART line. Screw Frisco!!!
+1

Old 12-25-2018, 05:53 PM

18,593 posts, read 26,957,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
+1
Itís in Allen. Not much better. I guess they chose this place because thatís where most of the metros South Asian population resides.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,324,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Itís in Allen. Not much better. I guess they chose this place because thatís where most of the metros South Asian population resides.
I figured it would go in Las Colinas.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 PM

6,601 posts, read 4,991,555 times
Seattle:

https://www.king5.com/article/entert.../281-552790169
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City