U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,298,713 times

Advertisements

The U.S. is second -- ahead of Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the UK -- in cricket viewership? I am extremely skeptical of that claim. I'm also skeptical there's enough interest to make a professional league work here. The target market for such a league are still heavily invested in their respective home teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:25 PM

14,792 posts, read 18,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It looks boring, but still more interesting than golf.
I guess it depends on what sports you watch. I grew up playing baseball, basketball, soccer, football, etc and got interested in cricket about 15-20 years ago after seeing a highlight reel of catches. They were absolutely amazing some of them - bare handed diving catches. Any single one of them would have won catch of the year int he ESPYs but in cricket it was kind of normal as almost nobody wears a glove.

The rules aren't as complicated as it seems. In America we take Baseball for granted I think, but if you know both sports and try and explain Baseball to someone who knows nothing about it, you realize that it's actually more complex than Cricket.

Anyway, back in the early 2000s they made a conscious effort to make the games be watchable in an evening with Twenty20, which on average last about 3 hours. That's roughly the same as your average baseball or football game.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The U.S. is second -- ahead of Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the UK -- in cricket viewership? I am extremely skeptical of that claim. I'm also skeptical there's enough interest to make a professional league work here. The target market for such a league are still heavily invested in their respective home teams.
It's not that unbelievable. It really depends on where you are. Here in NYC, tons of my Indian, Pakistani, etc co-workers take time off for Cricket World Cup or come to work EXTREMELY tired. Even many of my American co-workers do the same - either those who hang out with others who watch cricket or those who have lived in India, UK, etc before.

Not saying that everyone of these people likes Cricket, but check out the foreign born populations from some of these countries in the US:

India: 2,610,537 people
UK: 702,567 people
Pakistan: 391,976 people
Bangladesh: 248,696 people
Australia/New Zealand region: 123,080 people
Ireland: 120,187 people
Afghanistan: 100,367 people
Sri Lanka: 49,116 people
Zimbabwe: Estimates as high as 45,000
West Indies: 25,364

All together, that's over 4.4 million people living in the US from countries/areas that are big with cricket. Even if you say only a quarter of those people would watch, that's still over 1.1 million people. This isn't counting any children of these people who may also be into the sport. Apparently playership in the US rose by 6.67X from 2006 to 2017 (estimated 200,000 players in the US now).

Old 01-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's not that unbelievable.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
All together, that's over 4.4 million people living in the US from countries/areas that are big with cricket.
Compare that to nations with anywhere 65 million to 200 million people where cricket is is anything from way more popular than the U.S. (such as the UK) to a downright fanatical pastime (most of South Asia).

Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yes it is.
Okay I'll put it this way. Areas with a large concentration of especially Indian, Pakistani, etc born people this will do just fine - NYC area, Chicago area, Bay Area, Dallas area, etc. There is a reason why they picked those 8 areas to have teams in - it's not just arbitrary because they happen to be big all around markets. They are areas with enough cricket fans to support a local team if the local team doesn't suck.

There was an attempt at a pro cricket league in the US back in 2004 with teams in NYC, DC, Miami, Chicago, SF, Los Angeles, and Houston but it just lasted one season. However, the actual interest in Cricket in the US now compared to back then is definitely more.

According to this, there's 200,000 cricket players in the US now with 6000 teams:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41590142

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tristan.../#4f6bb491a8c7
Quote:
USA Cricket is keen to be part of the craze. "Newly released global research shows there are more than 20 million cricket fans in the United States,” chairman Paraag Marathe said.
Not sure 20 million is realistic, but guaranteed over a million or 2 right now.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-02-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 08:49 AM

There are dozens of individual college football or basketball teams with more than a million or two fans. Not the league or conference they play in -- INDIVIDUAL TEAMS, of amateur college kids. Then the pro leagues are a whole different level above that. That's what an upstart league for a sport roughly 98% of Americans know absolutely nothing about would be up against. And that's just competing with domestic sports never mind competing with international cricket leagues for the attention of U.S. cricket fans, many of whom already have loyalties to their "home" teams.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:15 AM

Well what do you know, the USA team has cracked the top 20 and is now an ICC Associate member with ODI status.

I watched the USA vs Namibia match in the WCL tournament. I found it weirdly amusing that all the white guys were on the African team and the dark-skinned players were on Team USA. That's international cricket for you.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:03 AM
_OT

2,135 posts, read 1,504,078 times
Need to get Soccer/Football into our inner cities first, before we do anything else sports related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City