U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM

2,396 posts, read 1,215,292 times

Advertisements

I spent 62 years in Buffalo and 1 in Jacksonville, Florida and here are my observations

Waterfront - both cities are located on a body of water - Buffalo's waterfront is obscured by busy highways. There has been some activity lately like Canalside, which was long overdue, but there are still those noisy access restricting highways. Jacksonville has the river with Riverwalks on both North and South banks. Jacksonville has the ocean with miles of beautiful beach.

Taxes - Buffalo has some of the highest property taxes in the nation plus NY State tax. Jacksonville has lower property taxes plus NO State Income tax. Sales tax is also lower.

Jobs - Buffalo, while improving recently, still has a dearth of jobs. Jacksonville on the other hand has plenty with many companies locating in the area.

Weather - Buffalo has 2 seasons (Winter and the 4th of July) just kidding. Buffalo has at least 6 months of cold weather and frequently more as well as abundant snowfall. Jacksonville has hot humid summers and cool (not freezing) winters.

People - IMHO people seem much friendlier here and well as more polite. Buffalo has lost more than 50% of its population since 1950. Jacksonville has quadrupled in the same period.

Shopping - Buffalo has the Galleria Mall, plus a few isolated pockets here and there in North Buffalo and some on the Elmwood strip. Jacksonville has the St Johns Town Center which is constantly expanding plus numerous shopping districts.

Airport - Buffalo has more destinations and more flights. Terminals are similar. Parking is cheaper in Jacksonville. Jacksonville's airport is located North of the city and can be a drive depending where you live.

Bridges - Buffalo has the outdated Peace Bridge whereas Jacksonville has the gorgeous Dames Point Bridge which is what I wish Buffalo had. Jacksonville has many nice bridges considering the St Johns river runs through it.

Football teams - Buffalo has its beloved Bills, Jacksonville has the Jaguars, neither has dome much lately.

thats it for now
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,053,417 times
NY Apples vs Florida Oranges.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:52 PM

2,396 posts, read 1,215,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Good one

Old 08-20-2017, 02:32 PM

52,714 posts, read 75,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Basically in some aspects, especially the city comparison. Given that Jacksonville is essentially Duval County and Buffalo as a city hasn't annexed any land, let alone a County in several decades is not a tit for tat comparison.

Property taxes are in reference to the rate in the Buffalo area, as the median home price in the area is below the national figure.

In terms of jobs, this article may surprise some people: David Robinson: To grow jobs, Buffalo needs to be cool - The Buffalo News

Buffalo does have another pro sports team.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 PM

5,811 posts, read 6,356,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I spent 62 years in Buffalo and 1 in Jacksonville, Florida and here are my observations
You missed a pretty recent thread comparing these two cities. Glad you've been enjoying your move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo does have another pro sports team.
Yep, and the Sabres are no slouch either. Definitely gives Buffalo a boost in the major league sports department. Of course Jax is a staple for tennis and golf enthusiasts and both the ATP and PGA Tour are headquartered here, so there's more nuance than just Big 5 sports franchises.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,095,797 times
Don't think I could ever life in Buffalo for 2 reasons. 1 the terribad weather 2 I just found out there's no chick-fil-a there.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:30 PM

52,714 posts, read 75,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Don't think I could ever life in Buffalo for 2 reasons. 1 the terribad weather 2 I just found out there's no chick-fil-a there.
Chick-Fil-A is coming and the winter weather is exaggerated, as long as you understand that it will snow and that there is infrastructure in place to remove it. It's official: Chick-fil-A will open in former Famous Dave's site - The Buffalo News

Old 08-21-2017, 02:54 PM

15,717 posts, read 3,128,500 times
I prefer Jacksonville.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,443,650 times
Better food in the queen city

Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM

4,286 posts, read 3,352,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
The weather is terrible, but Chik-fil-et is not all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or