U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Main City of the Sunbelt(besides LA) & Southeast
Atlanta 66 55.00%
Charlotte 1 0.83%
Dallas 29 24.17%
Houston 38 31.67%
Kansas City 1 0.83%
Miami 12 10.00%
Memphis 2 1.67%
Nashville 3 2.50%
New Orleans 2 1.67%
Phoenix 8 6.67%
St.Louis 1 0.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM
JJG

12,896 posts, read 18,406,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Tells me to grow up, yet is the one with the problem. Cool. Next time just shrug it off before replying.
And next time, actually learn to read what's being posted before assuming...

Old 08-25-2017, 12:32 PM

758 posts, read 355,710 times
Well this thread certainly got interesting in the last day or so. Now it's turned into Ft. Worth vs. Birmingham lol.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,293,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So you respond to that with a personal opinion and a comparison of other, older, more established neighborhoods... NEITHER of which addresses the point of what I said.
That was literally my damn point, I mentioned that Birmingham and Oakland were much more established earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Five Points? You have GOT to be kidding, but sadly I know you're aren't.

Five Points is cute, but it's only a couple of blocks and nothing special at all. About 1/3 of the shops are vacant as well. I know it's a big deal in Birmingham, but to people that actually are well-traveled? No.
Who are you? And why the hell you keep following me around?

Five Points has Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Condos, Hotels, Apartments, and SFH's all in one distinct area, it's a neighborhood that stretches from the West End of Glen Iris, to the East End of Highland Park, and goes further South until you reach the top of Vulcan Park. Those 1/3 vacant shops are proposed for a Bowling Alley/Bar, a Japanese Resturant, and a 17-Floor Tower with retail, so yeah...come correct. Five Points isn't even the "Big Deal" neighborhood, that goes to Avondale, Lakeview, and The Medical District.

Which as I said before, there's not a neighborhood in Fort Worth that compares.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:48 PM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Well this thread certainly got interesting in the last day or so. Now it's turned into Ft. Worth vs. Birmingham lol.
Just earlier people were arguing about the damn Dallas Cowboys...

Don't know how that came about.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
That was literally my damn point, I mentioned earlier that Birmingham and Oakland were much more established earlier in the thread.
You said "no distinctive, active neighborhoods"... you didn't say ANYTHING about the age of said neighborhoods or how well established they were.

Now you're making it up as you go.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 PM

2,934 posts, read 7,136,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Virginia is not really Sunbelt, but South Virginia is definitely part of The American South.
The southern part of Va (not including Hampton Roads or SW Virginia in the mountains) is known as "Southside Virginia". Yes, I would include this very much in the American South. It is farther south than Charlottesville.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southside_(Virginia)

Old 08-25-2017, 01:11 PM
_OT

Quote:
As I mentioned before, Fort Worth is also very, VERY sprawled and lacks structural density. The Stockyards are cool, but it's not my cup of tea.
Quote:
Oakland has its own Airport, Various Major/Minor League sports teams, a larger/livable downtown, dense/active core neighborhoods, has the BART.

As I said before, Birmingham functions more as a developed city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You said "no distinctive, active neighborhoods"... you didn't say ANYTHING about the age of said neighborhoods or how well established they were.

Now you're making it up as you go.
You done or are you finished? If your idea of "active" consist of constant traffic, and busy eye care centers, then by all means, run with that. But it's obvious that you thought of it with those examples because FW doesn't have any proper examples. Think of Fort Worth's version of Williamsburg...yeah, it's hard to find.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:15 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Its a split between Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta.

Houston and Miami are more international and Global than Dallas and Atlanta, but Miami's influence is overwhelmingly in Latin America whereas Houston's is more spread out. Dallas and Atlanta are still very global cities anyway but dont compare to Houston or Miami.

Houston is the global center of the oil and energy industry. Having a flagship economy does push a city up in influence in some ways.

Dallas/Fort Worth has the largest economy in the South, the healthiest economy in the South, and the fastest growing economy in the South. Though, the other three are also still booming though Houston has slowed down.

Atlanta has the largest sphere of influence due to it being the center of the Southeast with no city close that can match it in size. Its also, at least to me, the most culturally and historically southern of those on the list though Houston is pretty darn Southern too. Dallas and Miami are less Southern than the other two to me.

Miami is definitely the most globally known and gets, by far, the most international visitors.

You could make an argument for any of the four but they are pretty equal to me.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:30 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,013,900 times
Quote:
Who are you? And why the hell you keep following me around?
Excuse me? I will post wherever I damn well please. This thread includes the City I call home, if it's any of your business. And your posts beg to be challenged with the totally false claims that you continue to throw out almost daily.

Quote:
Five Points has Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Condos, Hotels, Apartments, and SFH's all in one distinct area, it's a neighborhood that stretches from the West End of Glen Iris, to the East End of Highland Park, and goes further South until you reach the top of Vulcan Park. Those 1/3 vacant shops are proposed for a Bowling Alley/Bar, a Japanese Resturant, and a 17-Floor Tower with retail, so yeah...come correct. Five Points isn't even the "Big Deal" neighborhood, that goes to Avondale, Lakeview, and The Medical District.

Which as I said before, there's not a neighborhood in Fort Worth that compares.
The 17 story apartment tower is going onto a cleared site, I would hardly count that as a 'vacant storefront.' Why do you always twist everyone's words?

Again, Five Points is nothing special. Every decent large city has multiples of these districts, including Fort Worth.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM
JJG

Quote:
You done or are you finished? If your idea of "active" consist of constant traffic, and busy eye care centers, then by all means, run with that. But it's obvious that you thought of it with those examples because FW doesn't have any proper examples. Think of Fort Worth's version of Williamsburg...yeah, it's hard to find.
Your words:

Quote:
Downtown Fort Worth is small, and doesn't function as a "Everday Living" type of City Center, especially considering how it has no distinct and active core neighborhoods. As I mentioned before, Fort Worth is also very, VERY sprawled and lacks structural density. The Stockyards are cool, but it's not my cup of tea.
I see "no distinct and active core neighborhoods".... nothing on how well established the NEIGHBORHOOD is.

Then you post other quotes that not only did I already respond to and correct (still talking about "sprawl" when EVERY sunbelt city has that and that Birmingham "functions as a more developed city") but now you're bringing up stuff that I didn't even mention. "If your idea of "active" consist of constant traffic, and busy eye care centers, then by all means, run with that." ...what?

Just stop, dude. Several other posters here have already made it clear that your judgement and labeling of what Ft. Worth is and how it functions is either misplaced or based on ignorance.

Quote:
Five Points has Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Condos, Hotels, Apartments, and SFH's all in one distinct area, it's a neighborhood that stretches from the West End of Glen Iris, to the East End of Highland Park, and goes further South until you reach the top of Vulcan Park. Those 1/3 vacant shops are proposed for a Bowling Alley/Bar, a Japanese Resturant, and a 17-Floor Tower with retail, so yeah...come correct.
That sounds like West 7th...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City