Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Main City of the Sunbelt(besides LA) & Southeast
Atlanta 66 55.00%
Charlotte 1 0.83%
Dallas 29 24.17%
Houston 38 31.67%
Kansas City 1 0.83%
Miami 12 10.00%
Memphis 2 1.67%
Nashville 3 2.50%
New Orleans 2 1.67%
Phoenix 8 6.67%
St.Louis 1 0.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,201,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Oakland has its own Airport, Various Major/Minor League sports teams, a larger/livable downtown, dense/active core neighborhoods, has the BART, has it's own local urban culture (that influences San Fran, not the other way around) and etc. Everything you just explained for Fort Worth, screams suburb. Sorry, I'm not falling for the high population/large corporations excuse, it goes beyond that.

I've had family living in Fort Worth since the 90's and they still tell people they're from Dallas.

As I said before, Birmingham functions more as a developed city, which anchors the largest Metro in its state, with no help from a city like Dallas; not to mention the terrain/location is WAY better than FW. And miss me with that emotional crap, I visit Fort Worth VERY often and could be there as quick as tomorrow, I'm just telling it how I see it.
No "emotional crap" here, just calling you out on how uninformed and clueless you're coming off. You can sit there and dismiss Fort Worth's population and corporate presence because it doesn't fit in with your narrative and narrow-minded perspective, but the city has a large historical core, a livable downtown with its own attractions and amenities, significant cultural institutions, not to mention multiple museums - arguably superior than Dallas's museums. It might look and feel suburban since its an auto-oriented city in the sunbelt, but much of Dallas falls in that category too, but Fort Worth is not a suburb at all, nor does it function as one in the Metroplex. You're trying to argue that Fort Worth is to Dallas as Mississauga is to Toronto, and it's just is not true.

I seriously doubt you've ever been to Fort Worth since you don't seem to know any of this, much less have any family there (and aren't natives, because a native Fort Worthian would never say they're from Dallas, so what they have to say is irrelevant), but keep doubling down and wallowing in your ignorance all you want to, but Fort Worth does not function as a suburb at all, and its pretty apparent and obvious when you're there. It's definitely a principle city of the metro area, just as Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco are the principle cities of the SF Bay Area. Or Tampa and St. Petersburg in Florida.

Terrain and location are irrelevant to this, so bringing that up is a pointless strawman argument.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Everyone else here has corrected you but you seem to be adamant about what little you actually know about this city. THAT'S where the frustration comes from... when people who actually live here tell you about Fort Worth, but you still keep saying the opposite as if what we say about our own damn town doesn't matter.
He can't be reasoned with, and is living in a world where Birmingham has been placed on an imaginary tier that doesn't exist. He's been everywhere (regularly), has seen everything and knows way more about every city than anyone that lives there.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
He can't be reasoned with, and is living in a world where Birmingham has been placed on an imaginary tier that doesn't exist. He's been everywhere (regularly), has seen everything and knows way more about every city than anyone that lives there.
^This. It's pretty hard to reason with someone who argues that Birmingham has more in common with Rust Belt cities than other Southern cities. Even actual Birmingham residents/natives don't stan that hard for Birmingham on this forum.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:15 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post

I seriously doubt you've ever been to Fort Worth since you don't seem to know any of this, much less have any family there (and aren't natives, because a native Fort Worthian would never say they're from Dallas, so what they have to say is irrelevant), but keep doubling down and wallowing in your ignorance all you want to, but Fort Worth does not function as a suburb at all, and its pretty apparent and obvious when you're there. It's definitely a principle city of the metro area, just as Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco are the principle cities of the SF Bay Area. Or Tampa and St. Petersburg in Florida.

Terrain and location are irrelevant to this, so bringing that up is a pointless strawman argument.
I would give you a rep for that alone, if I could.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 AM

686 posts, read 614,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*sigh*

(Ok, biscut_head & a person, THIS has something to do with Ft. Worth.)

As an actual resident of the city, allow me to correct you on some things:

1. Fort Worth is ALSO an anchor city. DFW is multi-polar with two anchor cities, Ft. Worth being the western anchor of the area.
2. EVERY sunbelt city is sprawled, suburban, and full of strip malls. Even the "heavy hitters". Why single Ft. Worth out? (And the city's "flatness" is a bit exaggerated. We have bluffs and hills... it may not be Pittsburgh or San Francisco, but it's also not a complete pancake as those who only spend about 5 minutes here think it is). There's also plenty of pre-WWII architecture here, as well. Our main landmark is the Tarrant County Courthouse and that done in a pre-1900s Beaux-arts style.
3. To say that Fort Worth "wouldn't strive without Dallas" is a slap in the face and historically the most insulting thing you can say about our city. We do not need nor depend on Dallas for anything as we're not another one of their dime-a-dozen suburbs.

I know you may have personal thoughts on what Fort Worth is, but please don't get the basics wrong.
I've never seen someone get so utterly butt hurt over saying the Cowboys suck. So I'll continue to say that Dallas gets knocked down a peg or two because of the Cowboys, and you can continue to get your panties in a bunch because their stadium is in Arlington. I. Don't. Care.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I've never seen someone get so utterly butt hurt over saying the Cowboys suck. So I'll continue to say that Dallas gets knocked down a peg or two because of the Cowboys, and you can continue to get your panties in a bunch because their stadium is in Arlington. I. Don't. Care.
Grow up before replying to me, dude.

(That quote has nothing to do with the Cowboys, btw.)

Old 08-25-2017, 10:50 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,387,778 times
Quote:
No "emotional crap" here, just calling you out on how uninformed and clueless you're coming off. You can sit there and dismiss Fort Worth's population and corporate presence because it doesn't fit in with your narrative and narrow-minded perspective, but the city has a large historical core, a livable downtown with its own attractions and amenities, significant cultural institutions, not to mention multiple museums - arguably superior than Dallas's museums. It might look and feel suburban since its an auto-oriented city in the sunbelt, but much of Dallas falls in that category too, but Fort Worth is not a suburb at all, nor does it function as one in the Metroplex. You're trying to argue that Fort Worth is to Dallas as Mississauga is to Toronto, and it's just is not true.
No, I just don't pocket watch other individuals, I could care less. I mean honestly, what the hell do those large corporations do for me? Especially considering I don't 1. Work in a field were I could possibly work for one of those corporations, and 2. Nor do I have friends in DFW who work for those corporations. All those things I listed in place for Oakland are things the average person, or average resident can actually experience for themselves, and if we get technical, literally every US city with significance has large corporations headquartered there.

Downtown Fort Worth is small, and doesn't function as a "Everday Living" type of City Center, especially considering how it has no distinct and active core neighborhoods. As I mentioned before, Fort Worth is also very, VERY sprawled and lacks structural density. The Stockyards are cool, but it's not my cup of tea.

Quote:
I seriously doubt you've ever been to Fort Worth since you don't seem to know any of this.

That's Del Fresco's Grille in DT Fort Worth near Sundance Sqaure; so stop it, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Birmingham and Oakland function way more as an actual city than Fort Worth.

I could've BEEN moved to Fort Worth, but no, the location doesn't work for me.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Whether Birmingham or Oakland function more as a city compared to FW is debatable. What is not debatable is that FW is a suburb of Dallas. Fort Worth is its own city. It has its own suburbs. It has its own transit system.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
No, I just don't pocket watch other individuals, I could care less. I mean honestly, what the hell do those large corporations do for me? Especially considering I don't 1. Work in a field were I could possibly work for one of those corporations, and 2. Nor do I have friends in DFW who work for those corporations. All those things I listed in place for Oakland are things the average person, or average resident can actually experience for themselves, and if we get technical, literally every US city with significance has large corporations headquartered there.

Downtown Fort Worth is small, and doesn't function as a "Everday Living" type of City Center, especially considering how it has no distinct and active core neighborhoods. As I mentioned before, Fort Worth is also very, VERY sprawled and lacks structural density. The Stockyards are cool, but it's not my cup of tea.

That's Del Fresco's Grille in DT Fort Worth near Sundance Sqaure; so stop it, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Birmingham and Oakland function way more as an actual city than Fort Worth.
You're still reading what you want to read and showing how very little you actually know about the city. As for you saying that we have no distinct and active core neighborhoods:

- Near Southside
- West 7th/Cultural District
- The River District
- TCU/Berry
- River Arts District (eastside)
- Stockyards/Marine Creek

Btw, it's "I COULDN'T care less" and Del Fresco's Grille is IN Sundance Square, not "near" it.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:02 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
What's the actual topic at hand? I forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City