U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the best
Columbia SC 13 27.08%
Des Moines IA 10 20.83%
Boise ID 11 22.92%
Madison WI 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,086,993 times

Advertisements

I think this should be an interesting comparison These 4 regions are actually pretty comparable when you think about it. All 4 are state capitals of moderately sized states and all 4 have metro's that are about the same size, Columbia being slightly larger than the other 4. All 4 also seem to be doing pretty well. I'm wondering which of these 4 regions is the best in terms of

1. Affordability
2. Future growth potential
3. Activities
4. Scenery
5. Location
6. Weather
7. Downtown walkablility
8. Opportunities for young workers
9. Dating scene
10. Architecture
11. General QOL
12. Which would you most want to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
1. Affordability: Des Moines
2. Future growth potential: Des Moines
3. Activities: Des Moines
4. Scenery: Des Moines
5. Location: Madison
6. Weather: Columbia
7. Downtown walkablility: Des Moines
8. Opportunities for young workers: Des Moines
9. Dating scene: Not sure, but the people seemed friendlier in Columbia than the others.
10. Architecture: Des Moines
11. General QOL: Des Moines
12. Which would you most want to live in: Des Moines

Old 08-22-2017, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,961 times
I'm only going to cover a few topics that I'm familiar with
speaking from the experience of living downtown Des Moines, IA:

1. Affordability
This is a hit or miss. The new apartments downtown seem to be pretty expensive.
Not sure if it's due to all the white-collar insurance jobs for young people.
However, if you are looking for a house in any Des Moines suburb, it is
very affordable.

* Fastest growing city in the Midwest: And the Fastest-Growing City in the Midwest Is.... | Midwest Living
* Number of apartments downtown have grown by more than 40% in the last year: More than 2,300 units planned in downtown Des Moines
* Downtown finally has a full service upscale grocery store (Hyvee). You could almost live downtown
without a car if you also worked downtown.

3. Downtown walkability:
The downtown while not large is quite dense, speaking from experience
of living in a similar sized city Omaha whose downtown is pretty spread out.
Or you can take a look at: https://www.walkscore.com/score/des-moines-downtown

4. Dating Scene
Lots of young people if that counts for anything.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 PM

1,852 posts, read 815,960 times
All seem like pretty good places to live.

I know Boise best, having grown up there and most of my family living there. I've never been to Columbia before.

Of these nice places to live I prefer Boise. They city is incredibly safe and clean. The park system is awesome and the Greenbelt is world class.

The outdoors activities around Boise are also world class. The vast amount of public land and wilderness around the area are pretty unique and something that none of the other cities on the list can compete with.

The weather is also pretty awesome, you get all 4 seasons. The summers are hot, but not that long and with with almost no humidity unlike the other four cities on his list. Boise itself actually gets a little less than the national average for snow while still having as much of it as you could want an hour into the mountains.

Side note to the OP, Idaho isn't a moderately sized state in either geography or population. It's on the larger side, if you consider how mountainous it is, more so. Population wise it is one of the least populated.

This brings us to the one real disadvantage of Boise, which is that it is somewhat isolated like most western cities.

That said, Boise is a big little city. Because it is the biggest city for a large area, it punches above it's weight.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
All seem like pretty good places to live.

I know Boise best, having grown up there and most of my family living there. I've never been to Columbia before.

Of these nice places to live I prefer Boise. They city is incredibly safe and clean. The park system is awesome and the Greenbelt is world class.

The outdoors activities around Boise are also world class. The vast amount of public land and wilderness around the area are pretty unique and something that none of the other cities on the list can compete with.

The weather is also pretty awesome, you get all 4 seasons. The summers are hot, but not that long and with with almost no humidity unlike the other four cities on his list. Boise itself actually gets a little less than the national average for snow while still having as much of it as you could want an hour into the mountains.

Side note to the OP, Idaho isn't a moderately sized state in either geography or population. It's on the larger side, if you consider how mountainous it is, more so. Population wise it is one of the least populated.

This brings us to the one real disadvantage of Boise, which is that it is somewhat isolated like most western cities.

That said, Boise is a big little city. Because it is the biggest city for a large area, it punches above it's weight.
Think I meant to say modestly sized.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaboy View Post
I'm only going to cover a few topics that I'm familiar with
speaking from the experience of living downtown Des Moines, IA:

1. Affordability
This is a hit or miss. The new apartments downtown seem to be pretty expensive.
Not sure if it's due to all the white-collar insurance jobs for young people.
However, if you are looking for a house in any Des Moines suburb, it is
very affordable.

* Fastest growing city in the Midwest: And the Fastest-Growing City in the Midwest Is.... | Midwest Living
* Number of apartments downtown have grown by more than 40% in the last year: More than 2,300 units planned in downtown Des Moines
* Downtown finally has a full service upscale grocery store (Hyvee). You could almost live downtown
without a car if you also worked downtown.

3. Downtown walkability:
The downtown while not large is quite dense, speaking from experience
of living in a similar sized city Omaha whose downtown is pretty spread out.
Or you can take a look at: https://www.walkscore.com/score/des-moines-downtown

4. Dating Scene
Lots of young people if that counts for anything.
Interesting, have you ever been to any of these other series.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
1. Affordability: Des Moines
2. Future growth potential: Des Moines
3. Activities: Des Moines
4. Scenery: Des Moines
5. Location: Madison
6. Weather: Columbia
7. Downtown walkablility: Des Moines
8. Opportunities for young workers: Des Moines
9. Dating scene: Not sure, but the people seemed friendlier in Columbia than the others.
10. Architecture: Des Moines
11. General QOL: Des Moines
12. Which would you most want to live in: Des Moines
Des Moines is a nice place, but I think Boise is prettier.

I also think that Boise is more bike-able and more walk-able than Des Moines, partly because it doesn't have a highway that cuts between downtown and other neighborhoods the way that 235 cuts across Des Moines.

Even though I have never been there I would imagine that Columbia is the most walkable for the city as a whole as it is an older city and appears to have the largest downtown from google maps.

Size isn't everything though and Boise has one of the best compact downtowns that I've been to. Maddison also has an awesome downtown. Both are livelier than Des Moines.

I also think that Boise has more growth potential considering that it gets more out of state migrants which seem to be increasing as Portland gets more and more expensive.

I think opportunity depends on your industry.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Even though I have never been there I would imagine that Columbia is the most walkable for the city as a whole as it is an older city and appears to have the largest downtown from google maps.
Seems to me that Madison or Des Moines would have that honor. As a native South Carolinian, I'm very, very familiar with Columbia and as a general rule, Southern/Sunbelt cities aren't all that walkable all around. That's pretty much the case for Columbia.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:09 AM

240 posts, read 253,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seems to me that Madison or Des Moines would have that honor. As a native South Carolinian, I'm very, very familiar with Columbia and as a general rule, Southern/Sunbelt cities aren't all that walkable all around. That's pretty much the case for Columbia.

Concur, I have been to all four cities and Columbia did not seem as walkable to me as any of the other three.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I would probably give the nod to Madison then, absolutely more walkable than Des Moines. Geographically more constrained as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or