U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Hudson County, NJ (Greater Regions of North + Central Jersey) 14 30.43%
Boston (Greater Boston CSA) 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 PM

3,969 posts, read 1,938,119 times

Advertisements

i think to smug new yorkers, new jersey represents failure of not being able to afford n.y.c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM

2,419 posts, read 1,037,760 times
Not a great comparison, IMO. Hudson Co. NJ is an suburban area of NYC and Greater Boston is an established, major metro area. There are too many aspects that are different to apply an apples-to-apples comparison to actual mean anything applicable.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM

241 posts, read 95,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Compare them on the following:
- Quality of Suburbs: Greater Boston by far. (Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Concord, Lexington, Milton, Dover, Sharon, etc)

- Quality of pedestrian friendly high-urbanity neighborhoods: I feel like Boston would win this. Brookline, Newton, Allston, Brighton, Somerville, Southie, etc

- Housing Prices and Rental Rates: Northern NJ (Boston is way too expensive)

- Architecture Quality: Greater Boston (Older, More European, I feel like I am actually in Europe)
These four comments are incredibly dumb by you.

Quality of Suburbs: you are very off. NJ is basically entirely suburban and very wealthy. Way wealthier and prettier than the Boston suburbs. I mean, Boston has no comparison to Short Hills, Far Hills/Bedminster/Bernardsville/Mendham, Ridgewood, Alpine, Montclair, Glen Ridge, etc. You are very off, Iím sorry.

High-Urbanity Neighborhoods: I would disagree that this goes to Boston. It would be a Tie, IMO.

Housing Prices and rental rates: again, a Tie. Urban NJ is slightly cheaper (except for Hoboken and JC). But suburban NJ is far more expensive and desirable.

Architecture Quality: are you kidding me???? Suburban NJ is way prettier and the homes are larger and more expansive. There are more estates and horse farms in NJ. To me, suburbs do not get prettier than horse farm suburbs.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 AM

233 posts, read 99,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post

Quality of Suburbs: you are very off. NJ is basically entirely suburban and very wealthy. Way wealthier and prettier than the Boston suburbs. I mean, Boston has no comparison to Short Hills, Far Hills/Bedminster/Bernardsville/Mendham, Ridgewood, Alpine, Montclair, Glen Ridge, etc. You are very off, I’m sorry.

High-Urbanity Neighborhoods: I would disagree that this goes to Boston. It would be a Tie, IMO.

Housing Prices and rental rates: again, a Tie. Urban NJ is slightly cheaper (except for Hoboken and JC). But suburban NJ is far more expensive and desirable.

Architecture Quality: are you kidding me???? Suburban NJ is way prettier and the homes are larger and more expansive. There are more estates and horse farms in NJ. To me, suburbs do not get prettier than horse farm suburbs.

So you basically agreed with me on Housing Prices. But quality of suburbs and architecture I think a lot of people will disagree with you, sorry. And high urbanty neighborhoods means how well you can get around in high density areas close to wherever the CBD would be. Obviously the green line, commuter rail, walkabiliy in metro Boston is a winner there for neighboring towns.... And again these are all opinions.

And a mansion in say Weston, MA would be hands down more expensive than if it was in Short Hills. I wouldn't call NJ's suburbs more desireable either, Boston's are less dense, have better transportation, and are overall nicer in my opinion. Either cute little port towns, or hilly towns. Im not from Boston, but if you say would you rather live in SUburban NJ or Suburban Boston, Im pretty sure people will say Suburban Boston :/

Old 02-03-2018, 09:54 AM

1,605 posts, read 737,479 times
Quote:

Quality of Suburbs: you are very off. NJ is basically entirely suburban and very wealthy. Way wealthier and prettier than the Boston suburbs. I mean, Boston has no comparison to Short Hills, Far Hills/Bedminster/Bernardsville/Mendham, Ridgewood, Alpine, Montclair, Glen Ridge, etc. You are very off, I’m sorry.

Uhhh.

Suburban NJ is not far more expensive or desirable. Absolutely false. Are they close? Sure, probably.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...eston_MA/sby-2
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...kline_MA/sby-2
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ncord_MA/sby-2

Just check out the median listing prices. $2.6M median price in Chestnut Hill, etc. etc.

As far as beauty goes, I'll go MA by a sizeable margin. Manchester by The Sea? Wellesley? Weston? Cohasset? Dover? Concord? Marblehead? Lexington? Winchester?

More horse farms and estates in NJ? That's literally the ENTIRE MetroWest. Lincoln, Carlisle, Dover, Sherborn, Weston, Wayland, Concord, Sudbury, etc.etc. I find the mix of lush forest, preservation of original architecture, winding roads, farms, state parks, and estates to be nicer in Greater Boston. More waterways and recreation to be had, largely due to the strictest zoning in the country. So no surprise that this poll reflects that.

Last edited by mwj119; 02-03-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 AM

3,969 posts, read 1,938,119 times
this poll is busted. this is like asking if the 7th leading scorer of the best nba team can beat the whole 8th place team in the first round of the playoffs (f-k-r is usually on point though).

Old 02-03-2018, 12:57 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,304,201 times
- Transit Infrastructure (heavy rail, light rail, commuter rail, tram networks, monorails, bus rapid transit, bus systems): NJ. A lot of people mentioning NJT without mentioning PATH. And it's hard to compare the quality of public transit in North Jersey (NJT/PATH/Amtrak) when forgetting that the major purpose of much of the transit in this area is to get mass amounts of people into NYC for work. Conversely, MBTA's purpose is to serve Boston and its suburbs as one entity, rather than focusing on a larger city nearby.

- Airports, Destinations Available, and Airline Services: NJ

- Higher Education Institutions (colleges and universities): Boston. Again unfair. NYC is the anchor of the region with the far superior higher education institutions. How many major cities have all their best universities in the suburbs?

- Public and Private K-12 Institutions (Elementary, Intermediate, Middle, High): Tie

- Cultural Institutions (Museums, Zoos, Theaters, Symphony, Ballet, Libraries, Live Theater Venues, Live Music Venues): Boston. Again unfair because NYC is the cultural hub of the region where NJ residents go for those types of things. However, I'm sure NJ has better cultural institutions than suburban Boston.

- Arts (Public Art, Murals, Private Art Galleries, Art Workshops): See above

- Stores and Shops: See above

- Climate (Weather Conditions, Natural Disasters): NJ

- Geography and Scenery: Tie. Personal preference.

- Public and Private Beaches: NJ

- Theme Parks and Amusement Parks: NJ

- Local Culture (Local Events, Traditions, Values, Expectations, Accents, Politics): Tie. Personal preference.

- Cosmopolitanism and Diversity: NJ

- Ethnic Neighborhoods, Corridors, or Enclaves: NJ

- Quality of Suburbs: Tie

- Quality of pedestrian friendly high-urbanity neighborhoods: NJ when considering the fact that we're comparing a world-class city to (what can be considered) a suburb of NYC. Jersey City, Hoboken, and Newark are the most obvious. But if we look at more suburban areas, NJ still has suburbs with walkable downtowns like Montclair, Morristown, Princeton, Englewood, Ft. Lee, Elizabeth, New Brunswick, and many of the Shore towns have their own little entertainment areas.

- Housing Prices and Rental Rates: Tie

- Architecture Quality: Tie

- Historical Significance, Monuments, Landmarks, Sites: Boston

- Nightlife Options: Boston. Again unfair because NJ is basically a suburb of NYC so everyone looking for a big night out is going to go to NYC, whereas everyone in suburban Boston is going to go to Boston. But Jersey City, Hoboken, Montclair, Morristown and the Shore towns have quite a bit going on still depending on the vibe you're looking for.

- Employment Outlook: Ambiguous. Are we talking just employment numbers in NJ? Or are we talking about employment numbers of NJ residents? Boston if considering just employment numbers within NJ. NJ if considering employment numbers of residents because so so so many NJ residents work in NYC.

- Quality of the roads, interstates, highways: No comment since idk Boston roads well enough.

- Sports Culture (primary education, college, professional): Boston

- National or State Parks: Boston

- Local Food Scene: NJ

It's impossible to discuss North Jersey, ESPECIALLY Hudson County, and not consider the proximity to NYC. I much prefer Hudson County, hence why I live here, because of the access to NYC. Hudson County is more "NYC" than many parts of NYC (SI/outer Queens) and especially many parts of NY State that like to claim their affiliation with the City (LI/Westchester Co.). I prefer the vibe and lifestyle of Hudson County due to its relation with NYC because I like NYC over Boston. Yes, NJ has its own personality and identity apart from NYC and NY as a state. Yes, NJ has its own history and had its own heyday and significance on the world. But without NYC, it would not be what it is today. Boston is Boston is Boston. It didn't rely on any other place for its significance. The fact that Hudson County and North Jersey can even compete with Boston in some of these categories speaks volumes to quality of NJ and how underrated it is, as well as speaks volumes to how the tiny island of Manhattan has such intense influence over such an overwhelming geographic area.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
So you basically agreed with me on Housing Prices. But quality of suburbs and architecture I think a lot of people will disagree with you, sorry. And high urbanty neighborhoods means how well you can get around in high density areas close to wherever the CBD would be. Obviously the green line, commuter rail, walkabiliy in metro Boston is a winner there for neighboring towns.... And again these are all opinions.

And a mansion in say Weston, MA would be hands down more expensive than if it was in Short Hills. I wouldn't call NJ's suburbs more desireable either, Boston's are less dense, have better transportation, and are overall nicer in my opinion. Either cute little port towns, or hilly towns. Im not from Boston, but if you say would you rather live in SUburban NJ or Suburban Boston, Im pretty sure people will say Suburban Boston :/
No, I didnít. The vast majority of North/Central Jersey is suburban, and the prices are overall higher. Umm...Hoboken or JC beats Cambridge or, say, Somerville to me. Brookline is suburban, trust me. Again, wrong about the prices in Weston. Short Hills homes are way more expensive than suburban Boston. You are wrong about the density comment. I literally mentioned the whole area of Somerset and Morris Counties. Not to mention Hunterdon and Monmouth Counties. Those alone are better than suburban Boston. I will give you the transportation point though because the commute into Boston is so short from suburban Boston. It is really crazy! NJís suburbs also have way larger homes, and there is more variety. NJís suburbs are more diverse and they from huge blocks of money. They also excel in other amenities, especially shopping. NJ also has a better location in terms of weather, geographic location (getting other places), and reaching the shore. For your last comment about choosing one over the other, I cannot disagree more. Most people would say suburban NJ for the reasons I have already states, plus itís proximity to the city. NJís suburbs are the suburbs of NYC. Bostonís are Bostonís. NYC >>>>> Boston.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM

233 posts, read 99,848 times
Quote:
No, I didnít. The vast majority of North/Central Jersey is suburban, and the prices are overall higher. Umm...Hoboken or JC beats Cambridge or, say, Somerville to me. Brookline is suburban, trust me. Again, wrong about the prices in Weston. Short Hills homes are way more expensive than suburban Boston. You are wrong about the density comment. I literally mentioned the whole area of Somerset and Morris Counties. Not to mention Hunterdon and Monmouth Counties. Those alone are better than suburban Boston. I will give you the transportation point though because the commute into Boston is so short from suburban Boston. It is really crazy! NJís suburbs also have way larger homes, and there is more variety. NJís suburbs are more diverse and they from huge blocks of money. They also excel in other amenities, especially shopping. NJ also has a better location in terms of weather, geographic location (getting other places), and reaching the shore. For your last comment about choosing one over the other, I cannot disagree more. Most people would say suburban NJ for the reasons I have already states, plus itís proximity to the city. NJís suburbs are the suburbs of NYC. Bostonís are Bostonís. NYC >>>>> Boston.
I mean hey, if you think that NJ suburbs and northern/central NJ is better than Boston for whatever reason go ahead, youll stand sort-of alone on that. A lot of the points you said are really opinion based. I have been to Northern NJ many times and it is not the best. My condolences if you live there.

And this is comparing Northern NJ, not NYC. And no, DC>Boston>NYC>Philly

Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I mean hey, if you think that NJ suburbs and northern/central NJ is better than Boston for whatever reason go ahead, youll stand sort-of alone on that. A lot of the points you said are really opinion based. I have been to Northern NJ many times and it is not the best. My condolences if you live there.

And this is comparing Northern NJ, not NYC. And no, DC>Boston>NYC>Philly
I am not saying that Northern NJ is better than Boston. I am saying that the suburbs of Northern NJ are better than the suburbs of Boston. Most people would agree on that. They are just better (for the reasons I already said). The vast majority of people would stand with me on this. You are alone in your near-hatred for suburban NJ. North Jersey may not be the best, but it is certainly more interesting and wealthier than suburban Boston. Just curious: Would you say that overall suburban NYC is worse than suburban Boston? Also, NYC>>>>>>Philly>DC>Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or