Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these city magazines best captures the personailty of their city or region?
Atlanta 4 8.89%
Boston 5 11.11%
Baltimore 0 0%
Chicago 4 8.89%
Cleveland 3 6.67%
Cincinnati 1 2.22%
Columbus Monthly 2 4.44%
D Magazine (Dallas) 5 11.11%
5280 (Denver) 1 2.22%
Hour Detroit 0 0%
Houstonia 2 4.44%
435 (Kansas City) 0 0%
Los Angeles 5 11.11%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Mpls.St.Paul 1 2.22%
New York 11 24.44%
Philadelphia 7 15.56%
Pittsburgh 2 4.44%
Portland Monthly 1 2.22%
San Diego 2 4.44%
San Francisco 2 4.44%
St. Louis 1 2.22%
Seattle 4 8.89%
Texas Monthly 4 8.89%
Washingtonian 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 AM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times

Advertisements

Those of you who have encountered me on these forums probably know by now that I work on the staff of the pioneer of the city magazine genre.

That's right, pioneer: two years before Clay Felker took the fading New York Herald Tribune's Sunday magazine and turned it into a freestanding, lively publication that approached the Big Apple with a verve and a breadth The New Yorker didn't, a fellow named David Herbert Lipson had transformed a somewhat staid Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce promotional rag into a smart and scrappy publication that covered the city's people and politics with addytood.

In the wake of Philadelphia and New York, magazines devoted to lifestyle and current events sprouted in cities all over the country. The best of them, like Texas Monthly (yes, it counts, even though its "city" is an entire state), have changed the way the people in their coverage area look at it, and even the most mediocre will tell you where the "best of" everything in their city could be found. ("Best of" issues also originated with Philadelphia; the lobby of our offices on Independence Square is decorated with a graphic mural that includes the opening sentence of our very first "Best and Worst of Philly" issue more than 40 years ago: "God couldn't be here tonight, so we've taken the liberty of filling in for Him.")

There's even a trade group for these publications, the City and Regional Magazine Association. And it seems that as journalism in general is undergoing wrenching changes that are laying waste to newsrooms and even entire newspapers all over the land, the city and regional magazjnes are managing to hold their own.

There does seem to be a hierarchy of these, though: I note that the mag I write for seems to get a steady stream of hires who come here from the Washingtonian, another city mag I would put at the top of the heap.

But what I'd like to know is: Which of these magazines do you think captures the flavor of the cities/regions they serve best? I've listed about 20 or so of the best-known below; you can vote for as many as you think deserve a vote. Then explain what it is about them that you think puts them above the crowd.

Don't read or aren't familiar with your city's magazine, or any of them? Feel free to comment on why that's the case. The knock on Philadelphia within the region is that it seems aimed more at Main Liners than at city residents.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 01-07-2020 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
I don't know if 5280 is "best", but I like it. It is more aimed at the younger crowd (my millennial daughter has a subscription).

Old 01-07-2020, 10:10 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,159 times
New Mexico Magazine is the first state magazine and has captured the state wonderfully since 1923.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/about-us/

Its regular feature "One of our fifty is missing" perfectly encapsulates the constant overlooking and ignorance when it comes to all things New Mexico, even the fact that it's a state at all.

Yesterday was New Mexico's birthday, the 108th anniversary of being admitted into the Union as a state.

Albuquerque the Magazine is the current city magazine and is slick and sells well, but Albuquerque Monthly was much more intellectual and interesting, it unfortunately folded 16 years ago.

https://abqthemag.com/

Santa Fean is a great city magazine that is as beautifully put together, sophisticated and polished as the city itself. Unfortunately, its time may be coming to an end.

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...bef658abe.html

Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Unless we've all read all of these magazines, how would we know? This is going to turn into another homer thread.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
Ocean Drive does a fairly good job capturing the flair and panache of South Beach.

El Chevere (homering since 2014)

Old 01-07-2020, 12:46 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Default What are the staples of these magazines?

Cleveland Magazine annually rates the suburbs. The contents of this issue largely isn't available on online, but is available at libraries. It's invaluable for new or prospective residents, so it generates a lot of new subscriptions/single issue purchases. Do other city magazines attempt this task, or is it too overwhelming in larger metropolitan areas? It's amusing how the top 10 suburbs and their relative ratings change each year (why did Rocky River fall from one in 2018 to four in 2019?). And, in my memory, Cleveland's most exclusive suburb -- Hunting Valley -- never is rated, likely because of the price of housing there and its very limited availability.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/at-hom...e-suburbs-2019

"Best of" Cleveland features, from dentists to restaurants, is another staple annual feature.

Most expensive homes in northeast Ohio is another frequent feature. Compared with other cities, it's amazing how inexpensive top-end housing is in northeast Ohio, especially per acre & per square foot.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/educat...home-huge-home

What I've enjoyed over the years, are articles such as the "Icons of Cleveland," even though it doesn't directly list the Terminal Tower, which is discussed under "Iconic Cleveland." The Terminal Tower certainly rivals the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum as Cleveland's top architectural icon, especially from an historical perspective having soared over Public Square for almost a century. Many Clevelanders who never read this article don't possess much of this knowledge.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the...onic-cleveland

This is my favorite Cleveland "icon" story, and it made me appreciate so much more this Public Square fixture.

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the...'-monument

IMO, Severance Hall, Cleveland's "Taj Mahal," ranks well above several of the top 20 Cleveland icons selected by Cleveland Magazine, definitely demonstrating Cleveland Magazine's limitations.

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2011/...milys_leg.html

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/P...lding-History/

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/10/a...ely-sound.html

State magazines, such as "Ohio Magazine" and "Our Ohio" well supplement "Cleveland Magazine."

Last edited by WRnative; 01-07-2020 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Unless we've all read all of these magazines, how would we know? This is going to turn into another homer thread.
We get several of them at the Phillymag offices, and I have perused some of them. I second Katarina Witt's assessment of 5280.

The first one I was exposed to was our sister publication, Boston, when I landed in that city for college. There's a "Worst" that mag ran that still sticks in my memory, about Brigham's clam chowder.

Then, in college, I also became familiar with Texas Monthly for reasons I don't quite remember. I still think it may well be the best mag of the genre, though the one I work for gives it a run for its money. D Magazine and Los Angeles both do some really solid reporting (I picked up some real estate ideas from the latter), while Houstonia strikes me as rather middle-of-the-road.

And New York, like its antecedent, has become a national brand of sorts, especially its culture section, "Vulture," and its news section, "Intelligencer," both of which have a national audience online. (I think its style section, whose name escapes me now, ditto.)

But yes, I'm an outlier, as I work in the biz. Most of us will probably only be familiar with their own city magazines. But I'd still like to hear why they think they're worth reading.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Well, the Onion was started in Madison, and I think it captured that city pretty well.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Well, the Onion was started in Madison, and I think it captured that city pretty well.
LOL at the onion. Pleeeese don't lessen Madison WI with the onion. It's a great College town like another I love called State College PA. I got burned the first time I posted from the onion...... not knowing it is what it is. The real fake news.

It lessens Madison IMO and not a magazine again. IMO. Madison WI is NO FAKE CITY. .

Your're being facetious right....... gotta be.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:54 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
LOL at the onion. Pleeeese don't lessen Madison WI with the onion. It's a great College town like another I love called State College PA. I got burned the first time I posted from the onion...... not knowing it is what it is. The real fake news.

It lessens Madison IMO and not a magazine again. IMO. Madison WI is NO FAKE CITY. .

Your're being facetious right....... gotta be.
Madison is a great city, with a great university. The Onion's humor is appreciated by many, misunderstood by some, and overall, wildly successful. Not shading Madison here, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City